none
computer Characteristics

Vraag

• Hi, my lab is planing to buy one SORA platform development kit. I have a question regarding the Multicore PC. we think that we can get it from the local market .

basically with this characteristics :

Main Board :ASUS Rampage II Extreme ()  http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=W7i5W4Pw4fH22Mih&templete=2

• Intel® Core™i7 Processor Ready
    • Intel® X58/ICH10R
    • Triple-channel, DDR3 2000(O.C) Support
    • TweakIt
    • ProbeIt
    • Extreme Engine with ML Cap Design
    • SLI/CrossFire On-demand
    • SupremeFX X-Fi
    • BIOS Flashback

for the memory this are the option 2 or 4 GB DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 wich one of this would be better ? 1333 and 1066 will work?

the other is just hard drive and peripherials .

so will this computer work with the RCB?  or there is other features that must be included?

concerning the Radio front-ends, are there more front-end radios that could work with the SORA platform besides the WARP radio board and the USRP daughter board (XCVR2450).

thanks in advance.

donderdag 8 april 2010 8:30

Antwoorden

• Sora RCB works well with Core i7 + X58 system. We have tested Sora on two Core i7 + X58 platforms and I think your ASUS board should also work well with Sora.

2GB memory is sufficient for Sora. Both 1333 and 1066 will work. But if cost is not a problem, larger memory is more suggested because many other Windows apps (you may install) could eat your momery.

There're also two potential issues:

(1) So far as I know, Core i7 + X58 platforms don't support embedded display card. You should install an independent display card. The driver of your display card could conflict with Sora since most display cards are PCIe based and it will share the same PCIe root complex with RCB. We do observe this problem but we do not have a list for dispaly card which is compatible/incompatible. If this problem occurs, uninstall the driver could be a solution.

(2) It's highly suggested to tightly fix RCB with your platform. PCIe loss has been observed if RCB is not fixed. Although some protection has been added in the firmware, PCIe loss can still cause unexpected problems. Fixing RCB is not a big issue if you have a PC chassis for your DIY system.

maandag 12 april 2010 2:21
  • Radios:

(1) Adapter for WARP radio is already available.

(2) Adapter for USRP is in test and will be available soon. In theory, all USRP radios can be connected to Sora with this adapter. XCVR2450 is the first radio we test and 802.11 can be implemented with this radio.

(3) We are also working on building our own radio. But the release time is still not determined.

maandag 12 april 2010 3:17

Alle reacties

• Sora RCB works well with Core i7 + X58 system. We have tested Sora on two Core i7 + X58 platforms and I think your ASUS board should also work well with Sora.

2GB memory is sufficient for Sora. Both 1333 and 1066 will work. But if cost is not a problem, larger memory is more suggested because many other Windows apps (you may install) could eat your momery.

There're also two potential issues:

(1) So far as I know, Core i7 + X58 platforms don't support embedded display card. You should install an independent display card. The driver of your display card could conflict with Sora since most display cards are PCIe based and it will share the same PCIe root complex with RCB. We do observe this problem but we do not have a list for dispaly card which is compatible/incompatible. If this problem occurs, uninstall the driver could be a solution.

(2) It's highly suggested to tightly fix RCB with your platform. PCIe loss has been observed if RCB is not fixed. Although some protection has been added in the firmware, PCIe loss can still cause unexpected problems. Fixing RCB is not a big issue if you have a PC chassis for your DIY system.

maandag 12 april 2010 2:21
  • Radios:

(1) Adapter for WARP radio is already available.

(2) Adapter for USRP is in test and will be available soon. In theory, all USRP radios can be connected to Sora with this adapter. XCVR2450 is the first radio we test and 802.11 can be implemented with this radio.

(3) We are also working on building our own radio. But the release time is still not determined.

maandag 12 april 2010 3:17