2 x different WHS servers crash after midnight every night (automatic backups and/or PP3 connector problem)

Vraag

• System A Details:  Acer H340 WHS w/extra 500GB HD
    System B Details:  homebuilt clone PC running WHS w/completely different h/w and drives * (can provide details if relevant)

<Both> servers were patched fully with all detected Windows Updates and also PP3.

There are 2 x different client PCs; each is running Windows 7 (one running ultimate Beta; the other running Win 7 Premium RC).  I have re-installed the OSes on both clients to different versions of Windows 7 stock.  No other apps, just the fresh OS and connector.  Network is GigE CAT6 (tested/verified) and I'm using a GigE switch between systems (default network settings and auto-detect all-around).

Here's the problem:  System B was built first.  Backups would initiate every night at midnight, but then the server would stop responding (both to clients and locally).  A manual backup would cause the same issue (often failing at 94%).  Figured it was the on-board gig NIC (VIA) so I bought the Acer (different everything).  With the Acer (System A), manual backups seem to run fine without crashing the server, but automatic backups crash the server every night.  (Same problem).

The only common denominator is the Gig Switch but I'm not so sure it's that (I'll replace it with a 10/100 tomorrow if tonight's backup fails again). 

I've reviewed all logs on both servers and there's no indication of why things are failing.  I suspect the problem is the PP3 connector s/w on Win7 or the auto backups (noticed system chkdsk ran just before or during backups?).    It doesn't matter which WHS the clients connect to; once auto backups are turned on, the server crashes when the auto backups run. :^(

Any ideas?  (Sorry if this has been covered before).

Thanks in advance,
    Craig

zaterdag 10 oktober 2009 12:20

Alle reacties

• System A Details:  Acer H340 WHS w/extra 500GB HD
    System B Details:  homebuilt clone PC running WHS w/completely different h/w and drives * (can provide details if relevant)

<Both> servers were patched fully with all detected Windows Updates and also PP3.

There are 2 x different client PCs; each is running Windows 7 (one running ultimate Beta; the other running Win 7 Premium RC).  I have re-installed the OSes on both clients to different versions of Windows 7 stock.  No other apps, just the fresh OS and connector.  Network is GigE CAT6 (tested/verified) and I'm using a GigE switch between systems (default network settings and auto-detect all-around).

Here's the problem:  System B was built first.  Backups would initiate every night at midnight, but then the server would stop responding (both to clients and locally).  A manual backup would cause the same issue (often failing at 94%).  Figured it was the on-board gig NIC (VIA) so I bought the Acer (different everything).  With the Acer (System A), manual backups seem to run fine without crashing the server, but automatic backups crash the server every night.  (Same problem).

The only common denominator is the Gig Switch but I'm not so sure it's that (I'll replace it with a 10/100 tomorrow if tonight's backup fails again). 

I've reviewed all logs on both servers and there's no indication of why things are failing.  I suspect the problem is the PP3 connector s/w on Win7 or the auto backups (noticed system chkdsk ran just before or during backups?).    It doesn't matter which WHS the clients connect to; once auto backups are turned on, the server crashes when the auto backups run. :^(

Any ideas?  (Sorry if this has been covered before).

Thanks in advance,
    Craig

Does it happen if you uninstall PP3 beta?
    zaterdag 10 oktober 2009 13:04
  • As suggested, uninstall PP3 first.

Should it still happen, then please try these steps:
    1. Use a different switch
    2. Move the backup window from 00:00-06:00 to 04:00-06:00
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    dinsdag 13 oktober 2009 6:17
  • Hi Craig,
    is there a Scheduled task being started around that time? (i.e. full system scan by a virus scanner - if so, which?)
    How is the DHCP lease time configured?

Try also to update the drivers on both server and client for NIC and mass storage.

Are there more detailed error messages in the event log of client and server?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

dinsdag 13 oktober 2009 8:56
  • I have a non-PP3 Home Server system, and it started hanging every night after installing the Connector on a Window 7 Home Premium system (home built, very stable Core 2 Quad system) three days ago.  By "hang" I mean that the Home Server system is still on, but does not respond, is not visible on the network, mouse is frozen, doesn't respond to keyboard.  When I reboot the system. the event log shows "unexpected shutdown" sometime in the night (11:57PM, 2:41AM, etc.), no apparent relation to either backup activities or anything else, although I did suspect the "Storage Balance" subsystem at one point.  The Windows 7 system has no apparent ill effects.

The backups (both automated and manual) appear to work fine, the hang doesn't seem to happen as a result of the backups.  I also have the connector running on an HP netbook, both under Windows XP SP3 and Window 7 Home Premium.  I started using the connector (backing up to the Home Server) after the hangs started.  Again the backups work fine, the hang appears unrelated, but the hang started the day after I installed the first connector on the Windows 7 Home Premium system (wasn't using the backup function before that, this system has mostly media).

I have now installed PP3 Beta Preview, just to see if the problem changes.  Kind of annoying, the Home Server was one of my most stable systems (uptimes in the weeks/months) until this happened.  By the way, the Home Server has a little over 6TB (one 640GB drive, 4 1.5TB drives), 2TB free.

My problem sounds very similar (Win 7 client with WHS) as Craig's (beckerc55).
    zondag 1 november 2009 18:33
  • Same problem here, but now it's on win7 ultimate an WHS PP3 both official released software.
    the problem didn't happen with win 7 ultimate on PP2 or on PP3 beta, but on the official PP3 I have it.
    timing of backup doesn't matter, as it happened on backups even at 6pm.
    already any news on how to solve this?
    zaterdag 28 november 2009 0:30