none
Changing the Project Type

Pytanie

• What impact does changing the project type have on a project when a schedule has been defined and the new project type uses a predefined template? Can the project type be changed at any moment in time or are there limitations? 
    Frank Jutte Winvision (http://www.winvision.nl) Project Manager / EPM Consultant
    7 maja 2010 14:46

Odpowiedzi

• Hi Frank,

I just quickly tested this by adding a template to the OOB Sample Proposal EPT, creating a new Basic Project Plan EPT with a simple schedule and changing the project type. Once I got the workflow through to where the schedule is available, my schedule for the Basic Project Plan was preserved. 

This is also the case with the Project Sites, if you create one project with an EPT specific site template, then change types to another EPT with a different template, the original template is going to remain. 

I haven't seen any limitations about when you can change the EPT, just remember if there is a workflow associated it may get kicked off again from the beginning, or if you use the 'Change or Restart Workflow and Skip' feature in Server Settings, you may be able to drop back in at a specific point (not looked at this thoroughly yet).

Hope this helps,

Alex.

Alex Burton www.epmsource.com
    • Oznaczony jako odpowiedź przez FrankJutte 8 maja 2010 05:29
    7 maja 2010 23:57

Wszystkie odpowiedzi

• Hi Frank,

I just quickly tested this by adding a template to the OOB Sample Proposal EPT, creating a new Basic Project Plan EPT with a simple schedule and changing the project type. Once I got the workflow through to where the schedule is available, my schedule for the Basic Project Plan was preserved. 

This is also the case with the Project Sites, if you create one project with an EPT specific site template, then change types to another EPT with a different template, the original template is going to remain. 

I haven't seen any limitations about when you can change the EPT, just remember if there is a workflow associated it may get kicked off again from the beginning, or if you use the 'Change or Restart Workflow and Skip' feature in Server Settings, you may be able to drop back in at a specific point (not looked at this thoroughly yet).

Hope this helps,

Alex.

Alex Burton www.epmsource.com
    • Oznaczony jako odpowiedź przez FrankJutte 8 maja 2010 05:29
    7 maja 2010 23:57
  • Thanks for your clear answer Alex!
    Frank Jutte Winvision (http://www.winvision.nl) Project Manager / EPM Consultant
    8 maja 2010 05:29
  • Alex,

I have been playing around with changing the project type as well.  However, I would like for it to bring in the new EPT detail and either discard or add to the old schedule.  We have created a "Proposal Phase" schedule for work that happens before a contract is executed and we have a "Construction Phase" schedule for work that happens after the executed contract.  The Construction phase schedule is much more detailed and lengthy and most of the content is not necessary until the contract is executed. 

Once all the detail is transferred over I just change a custom field from proposed to contracted and we continue to update and track progress as normally. 

Thanks for any help

JT

22 kwietnia 2011 01:32