Two issues following build - moving users folder off C and connector getting "an installation is ..." and won't install
3 kwietnia 2012 23:03
Built a N40L today. Specs are: 1x250gb (currently C and D), 2x2tb (in bios created raid1) (currently E). 8gb ram. WD USB3 card installed. Did the bios update. Updated the nic driver and firmware.
After the build completed, I moved all the server folders (using dashboard) from C to E. No problems.
Created a user. I'm guessing at that point the users directory was created. WHS created it on C. I tried moving it to E, but it starts, then says the file c:\users\streamingmedia\ntuser.dat was in use and it will not allow the move.
I removed the user and rebooted. Tried the move again - no joy.
Removed the machine from the homegroup and rebooted. Tried the move again - no joy.
Restarted without the network cable in. Tried the move again - no joy.
This is a big issue for me. I need to move it off C (where it has 44gb of room left) to E. Any suggestions???
The other problem I'm having is with the connectors. My clients can see the server, download the connector. I then start the connector which says it's going to look for my server. I'm guessing at that point it finds the server, since it tells me all the great things WHS can do for me. Then it fails saying there's an installation already in progress (I'm guessing on the server) and it cannot proceed and I should reboot the server or let the install finish. I've waited 2 hours, tried on two machines - same error.
Really hope you all can give me some pointers here. Lots of time and money invested in this to have a big fail.
3 kwietnia 2012 23:26Moderator
Leave the Users folder alone. It's created as part of the installation, and (as you've discovered) can't easily be moved. Users won't be logging in to Windows Home Server's desktop, so they won't be using the local Users folder on the server.
As for the "installation in progress" on your clients, if you search this forum and you'll find multiple threads discussing how to deal with the issue.
I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
- Oznaczony jako odpowiedź przez NorCalAl 4 kwietnia 2012 03:56
4 kwietnia 2012 03:58
Well, it turned out that there were still some 57 updates to be installed. Once all of those cleared - about 1.5 hours - the client installs worked. Oh yeah - once I removed the old connector software for my v1 server.
The users directory bugs me for OCD reasons, but I just created new directories for each user on the E drive. Simple enough.
Thanks Ken - saved me a LOT of time.
3xWin7 Home Premium, 2xXP Pro, 1xWHS2011