none
Network Configuration questions...

Pergunta

• Hi all!

Ive been hitting a dead end at all corners trying to figure this out and hoping you guys can help me. First, here is my server hardware:

Dell Precision 470 Server

X2 Dual Core 2.8Ghz Intel Xeon Processors

8Gigs Dual Rank Ram

X2 500Gb Hard Drives

Sata controller add-on card

X2 250Gb Hard Drives

I removed all the exterior dell plastic casing and installed additional fans and have an external PSU controlling the two additional hard drives and a blu-ray drive. Ive been using it as a very basic file server.

Heres what I would LIKE to do though...

Im going to be running Cat5e cable throughout my entire house and moving the server to a central location. I have a network that consists of three laptops and three desktop pcs that me and my wife both use at various times. Ideally I would like to setup a system of roaming accounts that would follow us on no matter what machine we were logging into. So if she logs into the laptop, then later on logs into a desktop computer her information is always the same from machine to machine. Basically I need to know if Home Server can handle this task or if its far more incredibly complicated than I think...

quinta-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2012 00:30

Todas as Respostas

• You can achieve most of what you want by redirecting folders to the server, but true roaming profiles such as you're looking for aren't something that Windows Home Server really supports..

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

quinta-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2012 01:20
  • In addition to what Ken has posted, you can centralise your EMail but in an unsupported way. I have hMailServer installed on my WHS2011 server and access the centralised EMail storage using IMAP Clients on each of my family PCs.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

quinta-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2012 02:16
  • Roaming profiles are really the effect that Im after. Can Server2008r2 do this? Im not opposed to the added cost if theres no way to make WHS do what I want.
    quinta-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2012 04:16
  • Windows Server 2008 can do it as part of an Active Directory domain. I won't swear to it, but it's likely that Windows Small Business Server Essentials can do it as well; SBSe is built on the same code base as Windows Home Server, and is capable of acting as a domain controller.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

quinta-feira, 23 de fevereiro de 2012 05:02