none
Is there a home server vendor + WHS 2011 combo available in the U.S.?

Pergunta

•  

I'm new to the concept of WHS 2011 and I was hoping this forum could give me some guidance:

1) Based on the threads I've reviewed thus far, there is no home server available that already has WHS2011 installed on it in the U.S.  Is this accurate?  If not, please point me to the appropriate resources.

2) If there is no home server that comes pre-installed with WHS2011 in the U.S., are there home server solutions that are WHS2011 certified (i.e. home server vendor provides support for WHS 2011 installation/configuration)?  I prefer not to spend a bundle if I can avoid it, but I want to ensure if provides all the functionalities of a home server I'm expecting with quality.

Sorry for my naive questions.

Thanks in advance for any input, suggestions and guidance that you can provide...this newbie appreciates it very much.

Jules

• Editado Jules1955 segunda-feira, 20 de fevereiro de 2012 03:46
    segunda-feira, 20 de fevereiro de 2012 03:30

Respostas

• "However, that is totally misleading as the i3-i7's include video, except for the extreme high end i7's."

That's true, but not all of the Intel Chipsets support it (e.g. P67) but the Z68 does.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Editado Phil Harrison domingo, 26 de fevereiro de 2012 18:27
    • Marcado como Resposta Jules1955 terça-feira, 28 de fevereiro de 2012 14:04
    domingo, 26 de fevereiro de 2012 18:25

Todas as Respostas

• I think the problem is I am trying to look at the connections via the same PC I am trying to remote into. I had my son in law check connectivity Friday from his PC and it works fine and he was able to connect to one of the PCs. He even used the https connection which is pretty cool you have to admit.
    plus size lingeries
    segunda-feira, 20 de fevereiro de 2012 09:40
  • Jules

Not sure what the first response you received was about! However:

1. I believe that this is still a correct statement - Acer has announced it will be making WHS2011 Servers available but that seems to have been an ongoing promise almost forever.
    2. HP formally supports the installation of WHS2011 on some of its servers - I can'r remember which range but their website or an internet serch should help you.

Personally I build my own and have never had any real problems. WHS2011 is only around $50 so it's not a major investment. If you don't like it then you can use your hardware with a different OS such as Windows 7.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

segunda-feira, 20 de fevereiro de 2012 14:58
  • The Acer web site still states "Coming Soon" but now only mentions SBE and not WHS 2011.  Although, I am browsing from Korea and localization may bring up slightly different web pages than the US.  I'll try remoting into my sons computer later after he gets home from work.  It's in LA and I need to let him know I will be using it for a few minutes.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Jules

Not sure what the first response you received was about! However:

1. I believe that this is still a correct statement - Acer has announced it will be making WHS2011 Servers available but that seems to have been an ongoing promise almost forever.
    2. HP formally supports the installation of WHS2011 on some of its servers - I can'r remember which range but their website or an internet serch should help you.

Personally I build my own and have never had any real problems. WHS2011 is only around $50 so it's not a major investment. If you don't like it then you can use your hardware with a different OS such as Windows 7.

BullDawg
    segunda-feira, 20 de fevereiro de 2012 16:18
  • The Acer US site lists an SBS 2011 Essentials based Server (AC100) in the Home Server section as "Coming Soon". No mention of WHS that I can find.

segunda-feira, 20 de fevereiro de 2012 17:35
  • Thanks gang for your responses and willingness to help this newbie.

Two other questions (if you don't mind):

1. Can I use an existing desktop and create a virtual environment to support WHS 2011?  If so, what specs are mandatory?  FYI...I have:
        * Dell Vostro 460 Mini Tower, Intel® Core™ i7-2600 (w/VT ,3.4GHz, 8MB cache)
        * 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz - 2DIMMs 
        * 1TB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
        * Network Card: Gigabit Ethernet
        * running Window 7 64-bit
      What are the pro's and con's with this approach?
    2. What off-the-shelf home server would you recommend to support my requirements:
      a) Powerful enough to support media streaming and transcoding (real time video conversion and streaming from one format to another)...example: Core i5 or better.
      Note: My youngest son (28 years old) is multi-handicapped and movies are his passion. So I'm building this Home Theatre system for him...my Angel :-)
      b) Low power consumption, since this server will be running 24x7
      c) Storage: 
           i)   OS: I'm thinking 250GB = Min or 1TB Max
           ii)  Disk Space: I have 200+ DVDs, with only a few Blu-ray (BDs) (too much disk space) that I would copy to ISO format for both.
                1) Should I go with 1TB or 2TB drives?
                2) Based on my needs, is there a specific hard drive and type that you would recommend (i.e. Western Digital, etc.)?
      d) Other Considerations:
           i)   I'm thinking I'll need a monitor connection and USB support (i.e. keyboard, mouse, etc.) for at least the initial installation - Right
           ii)   I have an external BD reader/writer.  I was considering plugging this into the home server via USB for the process of copying movies to the WHS via "My Movies".  This should work - Right?

Again, I apologize for my naive questions.  I just want to get started with WHS 2011, but I don't want to make unnecessary or short-sided purchases.

Thank you ALL for your assistance.

Best Regards,
    Julio

segunda-feira, 20 de fevereiro de 2012 21:02
    1. You can certainly run WHS2011 in a VM - I use VirtualBox for playing around. The downside is you will need more memory (cheap) / performance (you have plenty)  to do this than running it as a stand alone OS. Also, if you are going to be running your server 24 hours per day, that does not look like a particularly low power design.
    2. See data below regarding requirements for transcoding.Other questions are not really WHS related just personal preference etc. I run an i3 processor for low power. Agreed, easier to have a video card in there for installation & troubleshooting if necessary but I do almost all of that with Remote Desktop.

Common processors and the video profiles that they support

Published: April 26, 2010

Updated: March 30, 2011

Applies To: Windows Home Server 2011

To stream media from your home server you can use a computer that is running the Windows 7 operating system, or other home-networked devices such as digital media players, and Media Center Extenders such as XBOX 360. When you are away from home, use Remote Web Access Media Player to play files that are stored on the home server.

You also need relatively fast up-link speeds that vary from 200Kbps to 10 Mbps or more and media formats that your computer and devices can recognize and play. Not all devices, however, support the same video formats so there must be a way for your computer and devices to play whatever media files you happen to have. Windows Home Server 2011 contains a new transcoding support (inherited from Windows 7) that determines the capability of the computer or device you are using and then dynamically converts an unsupported video file into a supported one. In general, if Windows Media Player 12 can play the content on a computer that is running Windows 7, then the content on the home server will usually play on the network-connected device.

The format and bit rate chosen for transcoding is highly dependent on the performance of the home server processor. The processor performance is identified as part of the Windows Experience Index. To determine the performance score of your home server, do one of the following:

• On a computer running Windows 7 that has the same processor as your home server, go to the Control Panel, click Performance Information and Tools, and review the information given on the Rate and improve your computer’s performance page.
    • Contact the manufacturer of the processor.

For the best user experience, choose a video streaming resolution quality that is appropriate for your home server processor. The server will automatically adjust the bit rate to one of these settings:

• Low  if the processor score is less than 3.6.
    • Medium  if the processor score is greater than 3.6 and less than 4.2.
    • High  if the processor score is greater than 4.2 and less than 6.0.
    • Best  if the processor score is greater than 6.0.

If you choose a video streaming resolution that requires more processing power than your server has, you may experience buffers and stops while streaming media from the home server.

noteNote
    To stream high definition video through Remote Access, you need a processor with a score of at least 6.0.

segunda-feira, 20 de fevereiro de 2012 21:17
  • Phil,

Thank you so much for taking the time to assist me, I really appreciate it.

I've decided to go with a stand-a-lone home server/PC for my "first" WHS 2011.

Based on your experience, what off-the-shelf home server or PC would you recommend to meet the requirements we've compiled?

Let me know if you have questions.

Thanks again!!!  

Best Regards,
    Julio Ciamarra

terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 00:41
  • I don't have any specific recommendations as I always build my own PCs. My main Server is built around an Asus P8P67-M Pro motherboard with an Intel i3 2100T processor and 8GB RAM (overkill for the RAM but it's cheap). I stream HD (ripped Blu-Ray) video directly to my plasma with this setup without problem - note that I don't use video transcoding.  I use Western Digital 2TB Green drives (WD20EARS or WD20EARX) and a WD20EARS in an enternal eSATA enclosure for Server backups - I rotate one of these offsite so even if the house burns down or floods I still have all my valuable data backed up.

• Editado Phil Harrison terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 02:10
    terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 02:04
  • Phil, thank you for your continued guidance...I'm getting real close to the end product :-)

FYI...I've decided to build my WHS vs. buying a server off the shelf.

Here's the configuration I'm considering thus far, but would appreciate your input.  I want to ensure I have this right before I make the final purchase. 

Server backups: Western Digital 2TB (WD20EARS) or 3TB (WD30EZRX) in an external eSATA enclosure for Server backups. Rotate one of these offsite so even if the house burns down or floods I still have all my valuable data backed up...sound familiar, Phil :)

Questions:

1. WIll your ASUS motherboard (see above) fit this case & support the other components? If not, do you have another motherboard you would recommend?
    2. Assuming your ASUS motherboard works for my configuration, do it provide gigabit ethernet?
    3. Can I execute the installation of WHS 2011 from my PC via "Remote Desktop" or will I need to connect a monitor, keyboard & mouse for the one-time install?
    4. Am I missing any components?
    5. These prices are from NewEgg.  Is there a cheaper supplier I can use?

Thanks again for ALL your help!!! I hope these threads help other newbies in the forum should they decide to build their own WHS.

Best Regards,
    Julio

terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 19:34
  • Without commitment if it all goes wrong, I make the folowing comments:

1. The Asus motherboard is a microATX format and the case supports mini-ITX so I don't think it will fit so you will need to change case or motherboard. It will be fine with your other components though. If you choose another motherboard I would go for one which can utilise your onboard graphics from your Sandy Bridge CPU (Intel Z68 based chipset). You may need to buy a PSU depending upon whether you change your case or not. Your other motherboard choice seems to be at the end of the line although Amazon has 4 in stock - it's very limited on SATA ports for further expansion.
    2. Yes.
    3. No, use a monitor and onboard graphics mentioned above (I have a spare card I use but would certainly recommend using onboard graphics instead).
    4. Not that I can see other than mouse, keyboard etc.
    5. I generally use a combination of NewEgg and Amazon for my builds.

What are you planning to do with the RAID? Remember that using the Dashboard functionaility for server backups the maximum data you can backup is 2TB so 3TB disks are not the way to go. As you say, make sure that the external enclosure is eSata (I use Ultra Aluminus that I believe only support up to 2TB disks www.tigerdirect.com)

That's a very powerful machine - good luck.

• Editado Phil Harrison terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 20:21
    terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 20:14
  • Thanks again, Paul.  No, I'm not holding you responsible for any of your input...I would not be this far along if it wasn't for your generous help! Thank you!!!

1. Motherboard: after doing a little more digging, I realize the "Gigabyte motherboard" is at the end of it's lifecylce (thanks for pointing this out).  I'm really seeing a lot of positive user comments for your Asus motherboard, so I would like to go with that one.  So now I need a computer case to support it.  Do you have one that you would recommend?  What are you using?
    2. Clarifying question...I'm assuming the Asus motherboard will provide the onboard graphics I need to support a monitor hook up so I can execute the initial installation - Right?
    3. Keyboard & mouse: thanks for the reminder.  I have some spares I can use.
    4. RAID - no, I don't plan on using RAID.  I'll be performing back-ups to external hard drives.  Thanks to your input, I will stick with the 2TB drives.

Yes, thanks to your assistance, this machine is turning out to be pretty powerful :)

terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 22:09
  • No, my motherboard does not have onboard graphics which is why I suggested choosing one based on the Intel z68 chipset which supports Sandy Bridge onboard graphics. Cases are fairly personal - I am using an old Coolermaster case for one server and a Silverstone for the other.

terça-feira, 21 de fevereiro de 2012 22:39
  • Hi Phil, me again :)

I've done another round of research & I would like to share it with you for your perspective and any additional input/guidance.  THANK YOU!!!

Round 3 – Home Server/WHS2011 Configuration:

Here are my "updated" requirements for a home server:

1. Powerful enough to support media streaming and transcoding (real time video conversion and streaming from one format to another).  From my research on this, it suggests a CPU: Intel Core i5 or better (e.g. Intel Core i5-2405S).
      Research findings: For the CPU, the only LGA1155 Core i5/i7 I found with reasonable watt burn is the Core i5-2390T at 35 watts, or the Core i7-2xxxS series at 65 watts, according to this Core i3/i5/i7 overview site.
    2. I prefer Intel vs. AMD (personal preference).
    3. Onboard video is required (would prefer to avoid video card).  I’ll need to use a monitor connection for initial WHS 2011 installation, but installed I can use my PC to connect to the WHS Dashboard to manage/update it.
    4. Support for DDR 3 Memory (research I’ve seen for WHS 2011 suggests this)
    5. Low power consumption...as it will be on 24x7
      Note: Efficiency is a concern, as electricity costs over 4 years really add up.
    6. Gigabit Ethernet Only (dual ports is a nice to have)
    7. Decent SATA (i.e. for example…something like 6Gb SATA): No less than 4 SATA ports, but would prefer 6 for future growth.
      Note: I’m a fan of Western Digital (WD) Caviar Green hard drives. Currently thoughts for Storage:
    8. Media/Back-ups: WD Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB (x2)
    9. OS Storage: WD Caviar Green WD10EARX 1TB
    10. USB 3.0
    11. Form Factor: I prefer a smaller one (i.e. Micro vs. Tower), but this isn’t a showstopper
    12. Longevity: If at all possible, I'd like to get 4 years out of this home server

This is all I can think of.  Based on your server expertise, is there anything else I should consider?

DISCLAIMER: I’m NOT a server expert, so based on my requirements I would appreciate any suggestions anyone would have for me.

Proposed Configuration

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V LX LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard ($65)

Note: Port configuration not less than Motherboard noted.  No USB 3.0.  Gen 3 card with 4 6G ports available at 3x price.  6 ports available on non-ASUS brand at 4x price.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K LGA 1155 Boxed Processor

RAM: HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)

Storage: Caviar Green 2TB IntelliPower SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD20EARX – OEM (x2)

Note: 7200 RPM playing more important role than 6G.  Thought 6G only playing importance in gaming - not as important as streaming. Can anyone validate this?

OS Storage: Caviar Green 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WDBAAY0010HNC

Considerations:

• What about Solid State Drives for OS (SSD is 6G port)?
      or
    • Western Digital “VelociRaptor” - SATA 6 Gb/s, SATA 3 Gb/s

I’m thinking this is worth considering, but I haven’t fully researched it.  Key point is moving SWAP files off to regular HDD.

Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series 500 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply
    Note: Power Supply options focus on different variations of guaranteed efficiency of 80%+ - silver, gold, platinum, etc.

Optical Drive

Case: Cooler Master Elite 360 Slim ATX Mid Tower / HTPC / Desktop Convertible Computer Case

I hope my "newbie" research & your valuable/experienced input will help others interested in home built solutions.

Thanks again for your willingness to help.

sexta-feira, 24 de fevereiro de 2012 16:28
  • Looks good to me - anyone else have a view?

Any of the disks listed will be fine for streaming. Personally I wouldn't waste your money on an SSD for the OS (which needs to be 160GB to meet Microsoft requirements). I am sure you would not notice the difference except when booting ans as it will be on 24hrs per day, you shouldn't be doing that often. I would spend the money you save on a more efficient PSU.

Let us all know how the build goes.

sexta-feira, 24 de fevereiro de 2012 17:09
  • Storage: Your network won't permit you to see the full transfer rate of any SATA drive (whether SSD, SATA I, SATA II, etc.) except on the server itself; data transfers will be throttled by actual network performance. Accordingly, SSDs, high-speed SATA drives, etc., aren't worth the extra cost as data drives. As an OS drive, you will still probably not see a significant improvement (not that it won't be there, but it won't be where you'll ever notice it; faster boot isn't something you'll actually notice very often).

For the CPU, consider a mobile processor; you'll get somewhat better energy efficiency, though it's not quite as easy to find a motherboard that will have the other features you might want.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

sexta-feira, 24 de fevereiro de 2012 18:58
    Moderador
  • Ken,

Yes, I've received other responses in other forums that support your input regarding storage.  So with that said, I'll save a little money by not investing in a SDD or high-speed SATA drive for my OS-Storage Drive.  Thank you.

Update on Motherboard selection: The best MB I've been able to find to meet most of my requirements (USB 3.0, capacity for 6 SATA HDDs, etc.) is: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard ($210 at Micro-Center). 
    Yes, it's a little pricey and may include a few specs I probably don't need/want immediately, but this appears to meet most of my immediate needs and I think will be expandable enough for my future needs (i.e. hopefully extend the life of this server to 4+ years; one can only hope).

As a newbie in home-built servers, can you please help me understand what you mean by: "For CPU, consider a mobile processor"? 

Based on my primary requirement for this WHS 2011 server, I need something powerful enough to support media streaming and transcoding. From my research on this, it suggests a CPU: Intel Core i5 or better (e.g. Intel Core i5-2405S or Intel Core i5 2500K LGA 1155 Boxed Processor). Research findings: For the CPU, the only LGA1155 Core i5/i7 I found with reasonable watt burn is the Core i5-2390T at 35 watts, or the Core i7-2xxxS series at 65 watts, according to this Core i3/i5/i7 overview site.

Since I'm new to this, I'll take all the advice that I can get from those of you who have experience/knowledge in this space.  I love to keep learning...no matter how old I am :)

Thank you and anyone else that provides their input to help me finalize my configuration.

sexta-feira, 24 de fevereiro de 2012 20:34
  • As a newbie in home-built servers, can you please help me understand what you mean by: "For CPU, consider a mobile processor"? 

Mobile processor = a processor that would be used in a laptop. There aree some motherboards that are socketed for these chips, and a mobile processor usually does better poer management (less power used when idle, usually less used when fully used as well) than a desktop or server processor.

sexta-feira, 24 de fevereiro de 2012 21:13
    Moderador
  • Thank you for the clarification & education...very helpful.  In my limited research, I've not heard this suggestion before, but I understand the logic behind  it.  Does anyone else in the group have any other thoughts here?

Ken, Phil & others,
    Any thoughts on my recent Motherboard selection.....

Update on Motherboard selection: The best MB I've been able to find to meet most of my requirements (USB 3.0, capacity for 6 SATA HDDs, etc.) is: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard ($210 at Micro-Center).
    Yes, it's a little pricey and may include a few specs I probably don't need/want immediately, but this appears to meet most of my immediate needs and I think will be expandable enough for my future needs (i.e. hopefully extend the life of this server to 4+ years; one can only hope).

Thanks to all contributors...very much appreciated.

sexta-feira, 24 de fevereiro de 2012 21:41
  • Good choice of Motherboard as it will also support the upcoming Ivy Bridge processors (which are lower power than Sandy Bridge) should you ever need to upgrade.

sexta-feira, 24 de fevereiro de 2012 22:00
  • For other "newbies" who can benefit from my reseach, learnings & input from others...here is my final WHS 2011 Home Server Configuration:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard
    RAM: HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB Memory Modules)
    Storage: Caviar Green 2TB IntelliPower SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD20EARX – OEM (x2)
    OS Storage: Caviar Blue 500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD5000AAKX - OEM
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series AX650 650 Watt Modular ATX Power Supply
    Optical Drive: Samsung 22X DVD±RW Burner with Dual Layer Support - OEM
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 360 Slim ATX Mid Tower / HTPC / Desktop Convertible Computer Case

I hope you find this to be helpful.  Best wishes with your new server.

Special thanks to Phil & Ken for ALL their input & guidance...very much appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Julio

domingo, 26 de fevereiro de 2012 01:18
  • Video card?  Motherboard does not have built in graphics.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

For other "newbies" who can benefit from my reseach, learnings & input from others...here is my final WHS 2011 Home Server Configuration:

Storage: Caviar Green 2TB IntelliPower SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD20EARX - OEM (x2)
    OS Storage: Caviar Blue 500GB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD5000AAKX - OEM
    Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series AX650 650 Watt Modular ATX Power Supply

I hope you find this to be helpful. Best wishes with your new server.

Special thanks to Phil & Ken for ALL their input & guidance...very much appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Julio

BullDawg
    domingo, 26 de fevereiro de 2012 01:28
  • Video card?  Motherboard does not have built in graphics.

Oh yes it does!

domingo, 26 de fevereiro de 2012 11:04
  • Okay, I'm having one of those senior moments again.  The spec sheet reads as follows:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790

Onboard Video
      Onboard Video Chipset
      None
    However, that is totally misleading as the i3-i7's include video, except for the extreme high end i7's.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

<http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/getfile/71572>

Video card? Motherboard does not have built in graphics.

Oh yes it does!

BullDawg
    domingo, 26 de fevereiro de 2012 14:28
  • "However, that is totally misleading as the i3-i7's include video, except for the extreme high end i7's."

That's true, but not all of the Intel Chipsets support it (e.g. P67) but the Z68 does.

• Editado Phil Harrison domingo, 26 de fevereiro de 2012 18:27
    domingo, 26 de fevereiro de 2012 18:25
  • Thanks, Phil for responding.  You're absolutely correct.  I'm just starting the WHS 2011 install for my new home-built server, so I'm sure I'll be coming back to this forum for help & keep up with the learnings.
    • Não Marcado como Resposta Jules1955 terça-feira, 28 de fevereiro de 2012 14:04
    terça-feira, 28 de fevereiro de 2012 02:23
  • FYI...I had some definite problems trying to install the ethernet drivers for my Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network device, but thanks to this post:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/676f3751-b7b0-46f9-8fbe-091fb91a83cd

I was able to resolve the problem and proceed to the next step of my install. 

Hope this helps others.

• Editado Jules1955 quarta-feira, 29 de fevereiro de 2012 01:37
    quarta-feira, 29 de fevereiro de 2012 01:36
  • WHS 2011 Home Server Configuration:

OK, my WHS 2011 home-built server is up and running (thanks guys) & I almost have it fine tuned, but need your help with a couple "Device Manager" issues where I have a couple "question marks":

1)  PCI Simple Communications Controller
    2)  Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
    3)  Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
    4)  Unknown Device

Any advice on how to resolve these issues would be greatly appreciated.

• Editado Jules1955 quarta-feira, 29 de fevereiro de 2012 13:20
    quarta-feira, 29 de fevereiro de 2012 13:12
  • USB controllers are often "installed" when you install chipset drivers. The PCI Simple Communications Controller could be any of a number of things; you can find out exactly what it is by looking up the vendor ID and device in an online database like this one, then get appropriate drivers from either the motherboard manufacturer (preferred if available) or the manufacturer of the chip. The unknown device may be related to one of the other devices you don't have drivers for; you can probably look that up as well.

quarta-feira, 29 de fevereiro de 2012 14:28
    Moderador
  • To add to what Ken posted, see the second answer (from Zuseman) in this link on how to identify and lookup the vendor id and device id.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/whssoftware/thread/9adcf4df-0dfd-47f0-a955-2dd1cb56e151

Keep in mind this was for WHS v1, but the procedure is similar.  If you cannot find any Server 2008R2 x64 drivers, then look for Win 7 x64 drivers. The entire thread is a good read.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

USB controllers are often "installed" when you install chipset drivers. The PCI Simple Communications Controller could be any of a number of things; you can find out exactly what it is by looking up the vendor ID and device in an online database like this one, then get appropriate drivers from either the motherboard manufacturer (preferred if available) or the manufacturer of the chip. The unknown device may be related to one of the other devices you don't have drivers for; you can probably look that up as well.

BullDawg
    quarta-feira, 29 de fevereiro de 2012 15:23
  • Ken, thank you for your prompt assistance (again!).  I'm new to this space, so I have some newbie/naive clarifying questions:

1. Chipset Drivers - I'm assuming I would obtain this from the Intel site (correct).  I've gone to the Intel site:
      http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support?iid=hdr+support, but there are so many options it can be a little overwhelming. Can you PLEASE point me to the Chipset Drivers I should install.
    2. PCI Simple Communications Controller - I used this online database (http://www.pcidatabase.com/vendors.php?sort=name) to determine the vendor ID & device? Vendor: ASUS, ID: 0x0AC8, but when I review the options for drivers to download from ASUS site it's not clear to me which one to select.  Here's the link to the options:
      http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8Z68-V%20PRO/GEN3&p=1&s=39&os=30&hashedid=KDh9nqBoiqs2jqua

Any additional guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry if I'm being a pain, but I am learning through all this...thanks to you, Phil & others.

Thanks again for your assistance

• Editado Jules1955 quarta-feira, 29 de fevereiro de 2012 15:33
    quarta-feira, 29 de fevereiro de 2012 15:31
  • Of course you may or may not need to install drivers if the device does not affect WHS functionality. I have a PCI Simmple Communications Controller without a driver on one of my machines. I did find out what it was by using one of the online databases mentioned above but concluded it was notneeded for WHS (I can't remember what it was now)!

quarta-feira, 29 de fevereiro de 2012 15:59
  • ... (I can't remember what it was now)!
    Onboard modem, usually. Or I/R port. Both worthless on a server. :)

quarta-feira, 29 de fevereiro de 2012 16:34
    Moderador
  • Generally you will need to look up the device ID, rather than the vendor ID, then (if multiple devices are listed in the search results) find the one which matches the vendor ID in the PCI identification string. This may show you that it's a device you don't care about, or it may show that it's one you do want to see working.

quarta-feira, 29 de fevereiro de 2012 16:49
    Moderador
  • Thanks for your help guys, I've been able to resolve the issues with Device Manager.  Appreciate the help.
    quinta-feira, 1 de março de 2012 02:14