none
Windows 7 Not Genuine after resizing / moving partition

Pergunta

• Hi,

today I decided to get rid of my old xp installation as I haven't used it in month. The disk had 3 partitions, C the xp system, D Win7 System, E Files. I decided to delete the first partition and assigend the unallacoted new space to D and E. As C was the primary partition I repaired the boot manager with the Windows 7 disc. Everything seemed to be fine ...

I started Windows 7 and logged in, but the Desktop did not appear. The only message was that Windows 7 Build 7600 is not genuine in the bottom right corner of the screen.

I already found this thread: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/genuinewindows7/thread/d76c8e5e-44ca-4823-9c59-7b24c03f834f which suggested to remove the keys in HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices. As I wasn't able to start the Task Manager from the frozen Desktop (neither CTRL+SHIFT+ESC nor CTRL+ALT+DELETE --> Start Task Manager worked) I started the repair console again and removed the keys from there, but I still get the blank desktop with the annoying not genuine message. (It's a genuine version of courcse ;-)

Does anyone have any suggestions or do I have to reinstall the system? (I would appreciate if there would be a solution without reinstalling the whole system as I would have to install tons off apps too ...)

Thanks in advance

Matthias

segunda-feira, 21 de junho de 2010 19:16

Respostas

• Hi Matthias,

Windows 7 doesn't disable or limit any funtionality when in a Non-Genuine state (exept for a black desktop, but you would still be able to use Windows) so if you are getting a Blank background without access to anything (and unable to do anything) then there is a bigger problem with Windows, then just being Non-Genuine. It is likely that the Non-Genuine issue is just a side-effect of the bigger issue.

Unfortunatly, since you are unable to do anything, you wouldn't be able to run the Diagnostic Report and without that, I don't have enough information to suggest a possible fix to the Non-Genuine issue. In this case, I recommend creating a (no-cost) support request at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactwga for further assistance. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Darin MS
    terça-feira, 22 de junho de 2010 22:14
    Proprietário

Todas as Respostas

• Hi Matthias,

Windows 7 doesn't disable or limit any funtionality when in a Non-Genuine state (exept for a black desktop, but you would still be able to use Windows) so if you are getting a Blank background without access to anything (and unable to do anything) then there is a bigger problem with Windows, then just being Non-Genuine. It is likely that the Non-Genuine issue is just a side-effect of the bigger issue.

Unfortunatly, since you are unable to do anything, you wouldn't be able to run the Diagnostic Report and without that, I don't have enough information to suggest a possible fix to the Non-Genuine issue. In this case, I recommend creating a (no-cost) support request at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactwga for further assistance. 

Sorry I couldn't be more help,

Darin MS
    terça-feira, 22 de junho de 2010 22:14
    Proprietário
  • I ran tests that involved archiving a Win7 installation partition using Acronis. I saved off the image and restored to a different partition layout. I observed a variety problems not excluding the boot management issues that normally accompany this type of thing. With the boot requirements settled, I noticed Win7 would hang on a blank desktop which I could eventually navigate via the three-fingered salute that provided access to Task Manager. Like you, I noticed "Not Genuine", but more importantly noticed the installation drive was designated as D: but with certain environment variables still pointing to the original C: drive.  This is a non-starter, and I abandoned the idea of relocating Win7 off the first partition it was originally installed upon. No doubt someone's got the voodoo to prevent the logical drive offsetting (e.g., C: to D:).  BTW, I wouldn't want to correct the drive offsetting within the relocated Win7 instance. Ideally, it should be transparent to the running OS. Also, everything was performed directly on the metal, no VMing.

quarta-feira, 25 de maio de 2011 06:49