WHS 2011 > Backup drive pooling

Pergunta

• Let me understand this correctly, if i have multipul 2TB WD EARS drives and multipul 2TB external drives i wont have a problem backing up.

Presently its failing with 1x 2TB EARS and 1x 1TB drive trying to backup (everything, os,backups,shares) to 2x 1.5TB External Samsung Story drives.  The space is identical but because the 2TB drive is almost full it wont back it up because its larger than any single external drive, correct?

As a test ive selected a smaller group of data as a test, waiting for that to kick in.

I will be adding another 2TB WD EARS drives soon so need to understand this.

terça-feira, 24 de maio de 2011 21:33

Todas as Respostas

• Sadly not, if I understand you correctly that you are talking about backing up your server? Using the Dashboard backup the maximum size of your backup is 2TB and that has to be on a single disk (or an array that looks like one).
    terça-feira, 24 de maio de 2011 22:36
  • Yes that is correct.  I have 2x 1.5TB back up drives (3TB collectively) trying to copy 2.5TB of data.  Logically it will fit - physically it wont.

I think i'll have to fleebay my 1.5's and replace them with 2's.  annoying.

So basically you have 1 backup drive matching each physical drive.

terça-feira, 24 de maio de 2011 22:42
  • No. 2TB is the total of an automated backup to a backup drive/array. If you want to do more it is either a manual activity (data set 1 (<2TB) to Backup Drive 1, remove Drive 1. Set up backup for data set 2 (<2TB) to Backup Drive 2 etc.) or use the underlying Windows Server architecture.
    quarta-feira, 25 de maio de 2011 00:12