none
Thinking about the "missing msvcr71.dll" message

Pergunta

• Brian and others,

I followed the README.TXT in %wrk% to build the kernel. When making, I got the "missing msvcr71.dll" message launched by cl. Is copying the missing files to %wrk%\tools\x86\ the proper solution? Or doing some modification in makefile a proper one?

Is this a little mistake in WRK? Or I am not having the correct WRK package (WRK v1.2)?

Seems quite a few questions :-P. Any discussion appreciated~
    domingo, 18 de março de 2007 03:34

Respostas

• Yu-ning-

Yes, there is a problem with the WRK x86 compilation environment that we recently discovered. Certain machine configurations will give you "missing msvcr71.dll" and "missing msvcp71.dll" errors when you attempt to compile. Most of our testing was done on machines that had MS Visual Studio 2005 installed and we didn't run into this problem since all of the most recent DLLs are loaded onto the system. It wasn't until I tried to compile in a fresh Virtual PC image without MSVS that I noticed this problem. We plan to fix this in the downloadable version of the WRK this week and on the CD version during the next revision cycle.

Until then, you can download the files online from sites such as www.dll-files.com. Just place the missing DLLs into the wrk-v1.2\base\x86 directory and everything should work fine.

Sorry about the problem.

Brian

segunda-feira, 19 de março de 2007 17:29

Todas as Respostas

• You can download the msvcr71.dll from the Internet.like use Google...
    domingo, 18 de março de 2007 14:18
  • Yu-ning-

Yes, there is a problem with the WRK x86 compilation environment that we recently discovered. Certain machine configurations will give you "missing msvcr71.dll" and "missing msvcp71.dll" errors when you attempt to compile. Most of our testing was done on machines that had MS Visual Studio 2005 installed and we didn't run into this problem since all of the most recent DLLs are loaded onto the system. It wasn't until I tried to compile in a fresh Virtual PC image without MSVS that I noticed this problem. We plan to fix this in the downloadable version of the WRK this week and on the CD version during the next revision cycle.

Until then, you can download the files online from sites such as www.dll-files.com. Just place the missing DLLs into the wrk-v1.2\base\x86 directory and everything should work fine.

Sorry about the problem.

Brian

segunda-feira, 19 de março de 2007 17:29
  • Thanks a lot, Brian.
    terça-feira, 20 de março de 2007 02:00
  • I have had this problem too, im on vista, the normal one, not buisness or nething. I jus bought csi hard evidence and its saying that msvcr71.dll is missing. Can someone run thru how to fix this? ive downloaded the file from the dll-files, but it still doesnt work? where do i have to put it and can u run thru how to get to where to put it? or any other suggestions?
    quarta-feira, 3 de setembro de 2008 18:01
  • Please put the file into tools\x86 directory.

Thanks,

Serge

quinta-feira, 4 de setembro de 2008 21:09
    Proprietário
  • hi guys, having the same problem. have downloaded the 'MSVCR71.dll' file but don't know where to put it. Where is the tools/x86 directory?
    domingo, 3 de maio de 2009 05:50
  • When you install WRK to a directory X, you get subdirectories X\base, X\public, X\tools and X\WS03SP1HALS. Subdirectory X\tools contains subdirectories X\tools\amd64 and X\tools\x86.
    quarta-feira, 13 de maio de 2009 21:30
  • me too.  i've been trying to figure out the msvcr71.dll for days.  went to the site.  (my problem is that realplayer won't install..that's when i get the error).  downloaded and extracted it and stuck into some wow file, which is what the people having the same problem on the forum suggested, and what had worked for them.  didn't for me

i'm running windows 2000 xp sp2.  and am unfortunately only good at the retard directions.  so if somebody could humble themselves to talk down to me, i'd be appreciative (or provide another option, like downloading some windows runtime thing, which is where i've just come from, but didn't understand if it would help with the problem.

thanks,

mrjyn
    terça-feira, 22 de setembro de 2009 02:55
  • As was said in previous posts,
    1) go to http://www.dll-files.com
    2) download msvcr71.dll
    3) save this file to X\tools\x86 directory, where X is the directory you installed WRK to.

I didn't quite get your reference to realplayer - what does it have to do with WRK compilation. You are trying to compile the Windows Research Kernel, right?

terça-feira, 22 de setembro de 2009 20:25
  • serge ,
    what if you cant find where you placed x86
    quarta-feira, 2 de dezembro de 2009 03:59
  • Hi,

it seems there are actually two threads going on in this one thread: the first one deals with the problem that the WRK v1.2 is missing msvcr71.dll, which is a bug and will be fixed in a later revision. 

The second thread is a more general one: Some applications, _not_ the WRK, are also missing the C runtime library msvcr71.dll. The solution proposed in this thread only deals with the first issue, which is why Serge and Brian do reference the tools\x86 directory. If you are using the WRK, you know what they are talking about. 

If you are dealing with the second issue, download msvcr71.dll might indeed help, but apparently you won't find the tools\x86 directory. What might help in that case is either copy the dll into the same directory where the application is located that complains about the missing library. Otherwise, you may also try copying the library to %SYSTEMROOT%\system32, which, by default, is in the library search path. 

However, if your application is not running because of the missing library, please contact the respective vendor or maintainer of your application. In this forum, help can only be provided for problems related to the Windows Research Kernel.

Best regards,

http://www.dcl.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/research/WRK
    • Sugerido como Resposta Broaster quinta-feira, 21 de outubro de 2010 15:14
    terça-feira, 15 de dezembro de 2009 10:50
  • This may be of interest, I found it trying to get java.exe working.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326922

quinta-feira, 21 de outubro de 2010 15:15
  • I encountered the problem on yet a 3rd instance when running XNView running a 32 bit version of Windows.

I kept getting the same message about missing the msvcr71.dll and found there are actually 2 in my system but of different sizes in different programs after a search.

Installing Microsoft Visual Studio (any version that would work) would not solve the problem so on a long shot I copied the larger over to the System 32 folder, and just for added support in case needed, on to XNView's AddOn folder.

Problem solved.

~Damien

segunda-feira, 22 de novembro de 2010 01:07