none
Problem with SyncToyCmd.exe and Verbose logging using SyncToy 2.1

Întrebare

• Hi

I want to sync folders via the a bat file + scheduled task and capture detailed logging information (e.g. exactly what files failed to sync).  I'm using:
    Windows 7 64bit
    SyncToy 2.1 (64bit)

I have experiemented with both "Info" and "Verbose" settings in the SyncToy.config file.  Verbose appears to give NO additional logging information.

Using the normal SyncToy UI ("C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.1\SyncToy.exe") and doing a manual sync on a folder pair, with "Verbose" setting enabled in the config file ("C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.1\SyncToy.config"). The synctoy log file ("C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\SyncToyLog.log") contains all the information I need (see screenshot01).

However, running the same folder pair sync via the command line ("C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.1\SyncToyCmd.exe"), with "Verbose" still enabled, the output does not contain the details of which files failed, only a message saying "Please look at the logs for more details" (see screenshot 2, below).  What, exactly, are these 'logs'?  It's not the file "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\Microsoft\SyncToy\2.0\SyncToyLog.log".  This log simply shows the same output on screenshot below which is not what I want. I want the same output that you get when manually syncing via the normal UI as above.  Also, piping the output on the command prompt to a text file just gives me the same message.

I've replicated the problem on a Windows XP SP3 32bit machine with 32bit SyncToy.  Therefore, assume it's a general problem with SyncToy 2.1.

Can anyone provide a solution to the problem. To clarify, I want to be able to output detailed logs of exactly what files failed during a sync via the commandline exe so I can then batch up and then schedule tasks.

Cheers

8 februarie 2012 16:13

Toate mesajele

• You are correct, verbose logging does not work. I also tried to enable it, but got the same results as you did. Since your log was posted 9 months ago and was not officially answered, that speaks for itself. Some of my files are missing, so I "enabled" Synctoy verbose logging to see if Synctoy is responsible. Think about it, if Synctoy was responsible, would they really allow us to see the evidence?
    15 noiembrie 2012 13:00
  • We were looking into implementing SyncToy for our department laptops, and the lack of logging when using the cmd line was a problem.  In our testing a few months ago, we also found some other problems, and this combined with the lack of logging forced us to look for alternatives.  Here are some other problems we found in our testing:

1. We learned that we were unable to exclude specific folders using the cmd line parameters (this can be done using the GUI though, but we needed to automate this across multiple computers).  We can however exclude specific files via the cmd line parameters.
    2. We learned that there is a 255 character limit on the path of the file.  Since there is no logging, there is no indication that there is a problem with the sync.  However, a GUI sync does reveal the problem, but that was not sufficient for our environment.

I'm sure that there are a lot of competing products, but the one that we went with is a free product called FreeFileSync (http://freefilesync.sourceforge.net). 

15 noiembrie 2012 15:22
  • I'm sure that there are a lot of competing products, but the one that we went with is a free product called FreeFileSync (http://freefilesync.sourceforge.net). 

Thank you Aakash. I can no longer trust SyncToy, so I will uninstall it and give FreeFileSync a try.
    15 noiembrie 2012 16:05
  • Hi - I posted originally.  I still begrudgingly use SyncToy via cmd without the logging, which isn't great.

However, I have been recommended options.

1) RoboCopy = this is pure commandline application and has an option for dealing with >256 character paths.  I haven't tested personally. Our IT dept use it though, with good feedback.

2) GoodSync. Has a UI but it's not free (I think). 

Thanks for the tip about FreeFileSync - I'll check it out.

Cheers

15 noiembrie 2012 16:19
  • Hi SamFranklin!  RoboCopy is a good tool and is very convenient since it is builtin.  However, it is an "echo" type of tool and unfortunately does not provide a two way sync that maintains state (SyncToy and FreeFileSync offer this option).  For "echo" type of tools, RichCopy is another free and recommended product (it was made by a MS programmer). 
    16 noiembrie 2012 06:53