none
Windows software installation path- how do I change it?

Întrebare

•  

I have a OEM version of WHS running in a headless box with no CD drive.

Every time I want to change Windows components it looks for the setup files  in the "Service Pack 2 CD-ROM" at "X:\SVR_2003\i386".

Since the WHS box doesn't have a CD drive I have copied the installation DVD to the shares\software folder.

I have to manually point to this folder for every file that needs to be installed. I find this irritating but it does work.

However when I tried to run SFC to as there were a couple of error reports in the setuperr.log after a recent reinstall a box popped up with the message:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to your DLL Cache.

Insert your Service Pack 2 CD-ROM now"

On this message box there is no option to browse for the files, just "Retry, More Information & Cancel".

This means I don't have the option to point to the files in the Software folder. To get SFC to run I've got to connect an extenal CD/DVD drive, via USB, and change its drive letter to X. This is difficult as my WHS box is tucked out of the way as it is supposed to be a headless unit.

What I want do do is change the default installation path from ""X:\SVR_2003\i386" to "D:\shares\Software\SVR_2003\i386"

An alternative solution would be to create a partition and name it X: and put the files in it. Easy enough to do in XP but is it safe to do in WHS.?

Does anyone know how to do either of these options?

10 februarie 2008 10:09

Răspunsuri

• I don't know how to do what you ask, but there is a program called daemon-tools, www.daemon-tools.cc, that I use on my pc's.  It's a program that installs a "fake" software cd-rom.  Then you just to the program to load an image, ISO, cue/bin, mds, etc that you have made from a disk.  Then it's just like you have loaded that cd into a drive..
    10 februarie 2008 12:40
  • Peter,  Just change the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath

And put the new path in it.

Thanks

Joe

10 februarie 2008 18:04

Toate mesajele

• I don't know how to do what you ask, but there is a program called daemon-tools, www.daemon-tools.cc, that I use on my pc's.  It's a program that installs a "fake" software cd-rom.  Then you just to the program to load an image, ISO, cue/bin, mds, etc that you have made from a disk.  Then it's just like you have loaded that cd into a drive..
    10 februarie 2008 12:40
  • Peter,  Just change the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath

And put the new path in it.

Thanks

Joe

10 februarie 2008 18:04
  • Actually, that is probably a good idea, given the current corruption bug.  Not likely if you're just reading files from the share, but a good idea none the less.
    10 februarie 2008 22:01

• Thanks Joe & Enchanter

I've done both.

Peter (the original poster)
    11 februarie 2008 10:48