none
Why am I still getting notifications?

Întrebare

• I bought the expensive 'Canadian edition' of the WGA kit and did a reinstall on my computer. It has not been without hassles! I did the activate thing and the downloads check as genuine, but I am only getting updates for WGA Notifications every couple days. The number is the same as what I have already downloaded. It doesn't "tell me anything", so why am I getting it?  I have little hair left after filling up a scribbler with error messages. I have had to look them up and go retrieve the downloads myself. Shouldn't the update scan for  drivers, etc? With the WGA disk and SP2, do I have to worry about the SP1 updates that everyone is talking about? I did all the critical security updates and I know there are probably many more that I am missing. Also... what is the difference between Microsoft Update and Windows Update site?
    28 iunie 2006 03:22

Răspunsuri

• Pooper,

WU is just for Windows; MU broadens the scope of what updates are searched for depending upon if you have products installed from several major families of MS software, such as Office, SQL, etc.

28 iunie 2006 03:28
  • Hi Pooperscooper,

I see that Dan addressed your question regarding WU (Windows Update) and MU (Microsoft Update).  However, it looks like you have a couple of outstanding issues that need to be addressed.

The first is regarding WGA Notifications (KB 905474).  We will typically release an update to this package on the 4th Tuesday of the month.  On the following dates we published updates to KB 905474 to English language users; 4/25, 5/30 and 6/27.  So, it is likely that you have been prompted to download the update two if not three times. 

The 6/27 release was our general availability release where we provide a new EULA (that is not all legalese) and addressed customer concern surrounding the download of a settings file (this functionality was removed) to improve the user experience.  We will continue to take feedback and continue to improve WGA Notifications.

If you opt to not install KB 905474 (which is not mandatory), the Automatic Update service will continue to offer the update to you on a regular basis.  Again, you are not obligated to accept the download if you do not wish. 

Regarding your question of Windows XP Service Pack 2.  SP2 does contain all updates available in SP1.  There have been many security updates released since XP2 was made availabl so I would recommend visiting the WU site and scanning for security updates that are applicable to you and install them.  This will ensure that your computer stays safe and secure.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks,
    Michelle

29 iunie 2006 03:52

Toate mesajele

• Pooper,

WU is just for Windows; MU broadens the scope of what updates are searched for depending upon if you have products installed from several major families of MS software, such as Office, SQL, etc.

28 iunie 2006 03:28
  • Hi Pooperscooper,

I see that Dan addressed your question regarding WU (Windows Update) and MU (Microsoft Update).  However, it looks like you have a couple of outstanding issues that need to be addressed.

The first is regarding WGA Notifications (KB 905474).  We will typically release an update to this package on the 4th Tuesday of the month.  On the following dates we published updates to KB 905474 to English language users; 4/25, 5/30 and 6/27.  So, it is likely that you have been prompted to download the update two if not three times. 

The 6/27 release was our general availability release where we provide a new EULA (that is not all legalese) and addressed customer concern surrounding the download of a settings file (this functionality was removed) to improve the user experience.  We will continue to take feedback and continue to improve WGA Notifications.

If you opt to not install KB 905474 (which is not mandatory), the Automatic Update service will continue to offer the update to you on a regular basis.  Again, you are not obligated to accept the download if you do not wish. 

Regarding your question of Windows XP Service Pack 2.  SP2 does contain all updates available in SP1.  There have been many security updates released since XP2 was made availabl so I would recommend visiting the WU site and scanning for security updates that are applicable to you and install them.  This will ensure that your computer stays safe and secure.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Thanks,
    Michelle

29 iunie 2006 03:52
  • Thank you Dan for the quick response!
    29 iunie 2006 04:01
  • Thank you Dan and Michelle! Now I know what to expect! You both have been very helpful!
    29 iunie 2006 04:03
  • Pooper,

At your service

30 iunie 2006 06:03
  • Thanks Pooper!!
    21 iulie 2006 01:08