none
Visual C# Command Line Compiler has stopped working

Întrebare

• I was re-directed to this forum from another at this site. Hopefully, someone can help me.

About 14 days ago I received an error message on start up "Visual C# Command Line Compiler has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." I click "close" and after a few more screens (same message) the laptop is now up and running. I have found from my research there is a file associated with this--csc.exe. I do not know if it is the cause or not. Based on research this is a component in C++ and associated with .NET. When I shut down I receive another error "The applciation failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142).  Click on OK to terminate the application."
    I have tried using sfc but only get to 96% and received the message "Windows Resource Protection found integrity violations." BTW, I am running sfc from an elevated cmd prompt. I have also ran verify and viewed the logs. I am attaching the sfc details because the log is too large, but neither the log for the scan or from verify have any items close to what I am experiencing.
    I have Norton 360 with updated virus subscriptions, and have also ran CCleaner and SpyBot (I do this each month).
    I do not know what to do. Most sites tell users to run a stack, or call, or something else and none of this makes sense to me. I am not a programmer and just need some help with this problem Any help is appreciated.
    Thank you

• Mutat de lucy-liu 13 iunie 2011 09:24 it is not related to c# (From:Visual C# General)
    • Mutat de Alexander Sun 29 iunie 2011 02:31 (From:Visual Studio Setup and Installation)
    9 iunie 2011 17:12

Toate mesajele

• Hi Eddy,

>> About 14 days ago I received an error message

Before 14 days, is your Visual C# Command Line Compiler ok?

What did you do, then the Visual C# Command Line Compiler stopped working?

>>I have tried using sfc but only get to 96% and received the message "Windows Resource Protection found integrity violations." BTW, I am running sfc from an elevated cmd prompt.

Did you follow these steps?

1.       Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, clickAll Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or clickAllow.

1. Type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow (yes there is a space after sfc)The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correctMicrosoft versions. This scan may take sometime to finish.

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

13 iunie 2011 06:26
  • Lucy,

Thank you for your response; I have been checking several times per day. As for your question, yes that is how I ran sfc. I have used it several times before on other computers. I have ran sfc three times associated with this problem and cannot get it to complete. I have the text of the event log for the original error of C# compiler if that will help in any manner. I have also tried finding the offending service or program via clean boot but cannot determine anything other than all services and programs OTHER than Microsoft are not the cause. I have not attempted to disable any Microsoft Services.

I cannot find much information on the web other than some 3rd party programs run on .Net and it has Visual C. I have kept this laptop clean for nearly a year and do not know what to do. Any assistance is appreciated. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Eddy

13 iunie 2011 06:58
  • Hi Eddy,

I am moving this thread from “Visual C# General" forum to the “Visual Studio Setup and Installation” forum. Since the issue is related to Visual Studio Setup and Installation. There are more experts in the “Visual Studio Setup and Installation" forum.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

13 iunie 2011 09:23
  • Hi Eddy,

There is a question I would like to clarify with you:

·         Have you installed Visual Studio before?

Second, csc.exe is the C# compiler instead of a component of C++.

If you have not installed any Visual Studio, I think you problem is not related to Visual Studio. It is probably related to system error or system files corruption. I recommend you go to the Windows forum to ask for helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

14 iunie 2011 10:33
  • Alexander,

No, I have not installed Visual Studio. I have posted in several Microsoft Forums--those on microsoft.com (Windows 7, general Microsoft, MSDN) in addition to several non-microsoft sites (windows7forums.com, Sony.com---this is a VAIO and one other). To date I have had a lot of people read the messages but no responses. On this site I have posted in several different ones. I have tried using sfc (stops at 96% even with clean boot), I have started windows from clean boot removing all services and startup items. I believe there is a problem with IAStorIcon which is an Intel driver for my motherboard. I have installed new drivers with updates but still experience the problem. A friend is an IT manager at one of the defense contractors and had his techs look at it and think there is a problem within .NET framework perhaps even the csc.exe file At this point I don't know what to do. The computer is less than a year old and about the only "aggressive" program I run is Norton.

15 iunie 2011 05:25
  • Hi Eddy_G,

Thank you for your reply.

First, I recommend you try to reboot the operating system to safe mode. This can help to isolate whether any other applications are interfering with Visual Studio. Note that some features (like IIS) are not available under safe mode. Please check whether this can be applied or not.

Second, you can configure your start up settings. To do so: Start>>Run>>Type “cmd”>>Type “msconfig”. Please disable all non-Microsoft software form booting. Then reboot again.

If the problem still exists, in my opinion, this issue is related to corrupted system files. I recommend you go to the Windows Answer forum to ask for help: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us

If I have misunderstood anything, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

21 iunie 2011 09:46
  • Alexander,

Thank you for reply. Unfortunately I have done what you suggested. I removed all services and start-up items but nothing changed. As I am writing this I am downloading several .Net upgrades from Microsoft (three of them). If this does not work I will have to restore to factory settings and then re-install everything. Unfortunately I only have OEM discs I created and it will remove the partition I created, so I have been putting this off. Oh, I have posted in the answers forum; people read it but no one replies.

Anyway, I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I guess we can close this thread.

Eddy

21 iunie 2011 16:43
  • Hi Eddy,

Thank you for your reply.

First, “I have found from my research there is a file associated with this--csc.exe.” did you mean you think this problem is related to csc.exe? Could you please let me know why?

Here are my additional suggestions:

·         You might be required a machine to be restored or an in-place upgrade to be performed to recover it.

For one quicker way to repair OS or restore the OS configuration to an earlier point.

Here is a KB about this, please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/

·         Here are a possibly related article I think is helpful:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838857

Form your description, it seems like some system files possibly corrupted. I am sorry that I am nor an expert on this field, so I am able to provide some general suggestions. I recommend you wait for the reply on the Answer forum.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]

22 iunie 2011 10:31
  • I had this exact problem and have solved it! tried all sorts of things with no luck. I use Microsoft Security essentials so assumed it wouldnt be a virus but was wrong. Downloaded Spybot, updated it, then ran it as systems administrator. It found a load of things which I was dubious about as a registry cleaner I had used had done nothing. I asked it to fix these and it said It couldnt but did ask if I wanted to run it from start up. I said yes then rebooted. Took ages for this next scan but when it asked me again if I wanted it fixed it was able (I guess it was unable first time because various programmes were running in the background). All fixed completely now. Hoorah!!!!!!!!
    21 octombrie 2013 19:31