Move folder wizard would be great for Win 7

Общие обсуждения

• I would like to see the move folder wizard come to windows 7.  With only low capacity SSD's being affordable, I see a lot of people having a boot drive, and a storage drive.  I know you can always just add a folder from the storage drive to a library, and set it as the default save location, but it would be nice to have the WHS 2011 like option.  Anyone else have any thoughts?
    D.W.
    14 февраля 2011 г. 1:28

Все ответы

• Go to the Win7 Forums and post it, see what happens.

--
    Don
    14 февраля 2011 г. 2:18
  • I would like to see the move folder wizard come to windows 7.  With only low capacity SSD's being affordable, I see a lot of people having a boot drive, and a storage drive.  I know you can always just add a folder from the storage drive to a library, and set it as the default save location, but it would be nice to have the WHS 2011 like option.  Anyone else have any thoughts?

===========
    Hmmmm, I may be confused here, so instruct StarFerret to bite me if I am . . . way, way back when, those who could afford it used two drives in their computers; one for the OS and the other for installing programs and their data files. In those days of yore, data files were pretty much kept with the application they were written in; thus, we installed our programs to the second drive and didn't have to instruct them where to go. :) Making that easy once more just might be a great idea.

I wouldn't want to move my default folders; however, it seems I can do it if I want. I have a WD MyBook external drive hooked to ComputerCare-D and I've copied/moved folders and files back and forth at will.

Now, moving my applications to the second drive today might be a bit of a sticky wicket. However, I just might try that with something I've installed, but I won't try with Microsoft Office or Expression Studio, etc. I just don't think that would work. Then again, why wouldn't it if I succeeded in moving . . . say . . . Irfanview.

Even with a 250 GB hard drive, I have a problem with filling it, since I don't download videos or music. There are many like me, and most likely many more who would find your suggestion a great solution to hard drive space for their OS. The best of this world would be that, hopefully, when you decided to move stuff around, you could format your drive and reinstall the OS without having to reinstall the rest of your stuff; it would/should remain intact.

Yeah, I can see where this would be a fantastic idea for those who need it!

Nancy Ward
    14 февраля 2011 г. 15:58

==========

Good Grief, D.W., I did it! I installed Irfanview on ComputerCare-D, then drug the folder from Programs (x86) to MyBook! I then opened it and opened some things from my Pictures folder and they opened without a hitch!

D'ya think . . . ?

Nancy Ward
    14 февраля 2011 г. 16:11
  • I think your missing my point Nancy.  Of course you can move programs and files around.  But your default user folders still stay on the same drive as the OS.  Programs can be installed wherever you want them.  So thats not a big deal.  What i'm saying here is that the move folder wizard could be used to move the user folders to a different drive.  That way you could just use a small boot drive, and have a different drive for your music, pics, ect.  It can already be done, but the move folder option would make it so much simpler. 
    D.W.
    14 февраля 2011 г. 16:18
  • I use..  The cut and then paste method...  Works everytime...
    14 февраля 2011 г. 17:08
  • I think your missing my point Nancy.  Of course you can move programs and files around.  But your default user folders still stay on the same drive as the OS.  Programs can be installed wherever you want them.  So thats not a big deal.  What i'm saying here is that the move folder wizard could be used to move the user folders to a different drive.  That way you could just use a small boot drive, and have a different drive for your music, pics, ect.  It can already be done, but the move folder option would make it so much simpler.

==========
    OK, that's not something I'd really want to do, as I said in my earlier post. It's just too dangerous.

I've just survived a pretty bad experience with my default folders and I don't want that to happen again. I'm studying HTML/XHTML/CSS and installed the practice files on my hard drive. For some odd reason, things went to heck in a hand basket and none of my browsers could find my stuff. I finally found 'restore defaults' and decided I'd had enough of Murphy. Ain't going back there.

Nancy Ward
    14 февраля 2011 г. 17:16
  • I would like to see the move folder wizard come to windows 7. With only low capacity SSD's being affordable, I see a lot of people having a boot drive, and a storage drive. I know you can always just add a folder from the storage drive to a library, and set it as the default save location, but it would be nice to have the WHS 2011 like option. Anyone else have any thoughts?
    I guess I'm not sure what you mean here. I always have all my documents (and music, photos if not on WHS) on a second 'D' partition (actually on a second drive). When I update the OS, I do a clean install and then point My Documents etc. to my data drive.

So I never have to move the documents themselves.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    14 февраля 2011 г. 17:18
  • I understand that, but the default user folders are still on the C drive.
    D.W.
    14 февраля 2011 г. 17:24
  • I use..  The cut and then paste method...  Works everytime...
    Is it really that simple?  Does that move the default save locations and everything?

D.W.
    14 февраля 2011 г. 17:29
  • For a general folder (like whs 2011 folders) cut paste works fine.  For system folders/documents/etc... there are ways to move them in windows.  But in my opinion you are comparing apples to oranges..
    14 февраля 2011 г. 18:51
  • For a general folder (like whs 2011 folders) cut paste works fine.  For system folders/documents/etc... there are ways to move them in windows.  But in my opinion you are comparing apples to oranges..
    So WHS shared folders are pretty much the same as the user folders in windows 7.  I wouldn't call them general.  There is a way to move them in windows 7, but it's a hassle, and doesn't work in all instances.  An option like move folder would make things much simpler, and have the system see the user folders where the user wants them.  Not where the system puts them.

D.W.
    14 февраля 2011 г. 19:39