none
Can´t open MS Money File

คำถาม

• In January 15th I opened the MS Money 2007 and for the first time in 8 years my file can´t be read.

I have tried everything, but still it doesn´t work.

The file has no sign of being corrupted.

I tried recovering the file and it says that maybe the file is write protected (It is not write protected).

I downloaded the software "Recovery for money - officerecovery" and it doesn´t work.

I tried replacing the mnyob99.dll file and it doesn´t work.

I tried removing the KB2758857 windows update and it doesn´t work

I tried reinstalling and it doesn´t work

The strange is that I can open very old backup files, but not the one I need. Again, that is no sign at all of corrupted file.

24 มกราคม 2556 2:02

ตอบทั้งหมด

• Did you copy your *.mny file to other media before overwriting that *.mny file with a restore using the same filename? I presume no, but if you did, you could try to do a repair on that copy of your *.mny file.

Money 2007 by default keeps the latest 4 timestamped backup files. I presume you only had the one recent  backup  file.

Money 2007 is set up to do a scheduled backup and keep more than one  4 timestamped backup. This backup is typically done to a different drive, such as a flash drive. I presume you don't have have recent  backups saved on other media.

You still might want to do a search of your drives for *.mbf files. Let's hope you find a *.mbf that is dated fairly recently but  before you did your restore of the old *.mbf files. I hope one of my presumptions is wrong.

24 มกราคม 2556 3:09
    ผู้ดูแล
  • Thank you for your help.

I saved the original *.mny file before I tried everything. The file is intact.

Don´t bother advising me to restore a backup file, I don´t have it.

I need to repair this file that, amazingly, has no sign of beeing corrupted.

I need someone to break this file and at least extract the information inside. Even if it´s just a bunch of numbers.

4 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 11:48
  • When you say "I tried reinstalling and it doesn't work", what is "it"? The Money installation, or that one Money file?

Try making a repaired copy of a copy of your original *.mny file.

File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

The results of that should be telling.

I would take Money not being able to read a file as a sign of being corrupted if that installation of Money could read other files.

Let's hope the repair can fix that file. If it has a password that you permanently forgot, you will not get in.

5 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 1:11
    ผู้ดูแล
  • As a last resort, you can try to open using sunriise and export to *.csv.

You will really get "a bunch of numbers" and will need to decipher the content.

Having said that, if the file is really corrupted, there is a good change that sunriise will not be able to open it either.

http://sunriise.sourceforge.net/

I really should find some times to do another release. There are some good progress made on

* Export to JSON format which will make it easy for other tools to re-parse (python, web mobile front-end)

* Distributed brute-force password check to make it easier to distribute the brute force tasks to multiple users.

• แก้ไขโดย hleofxquotes2 5 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 22:23 fix typo
    5 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 22:21
  • The MSMoney is working if I create a new file and also with old backups.

It just can´t open the file a need.

The password is correct because when I insert a wrong password I get a message saying so.

The repair option is not working.

I became very hopeful with this sunriise software, but when I press "OK" to open the file, nothing happens. Not even a message.

Sunriise was able to open old backup files, but not the one a need.

Let´s consider the file is corrupted. If it is, there must be a way of extracting at least part of the information. I can´t believe a file is corrupted in such a way that nothing can be extracted.

7 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 15:56
  • Hmm ... is there a possiblity that the file is empty: has no accounts? What is the size of the file that you tried to open?

Also, take a look in the directory where you keep the *.mny file you want to open, is there a file name log.txt? If yes, take a look to see if there are addtional informations.

8 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 4:03
  • The file is not empty. It has 16MB.

There is no log.txt file

8 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 12:37
  • Another place to check for the log.txt file:

Same directory/folder as the sunriise*.jar file.

8 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 16:04
  • Here what shows up at the log file:

2013-02-07 11:33:04,461 [AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO  com.le.sunriise.viewer.OpenDbDialog - > Database.open, dbFile=C:\Users\OCELIO\Documents\My_Money1.mny

8 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 17:41
  • Actually it shows an error foward and another one backward:

2013-02-07 23:50:58,662 [AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO  com.le.sunriise.viewer.OpenDbDialog - > Database.open, dbFile=C:\Users\OCELIO\Documents\My_Money1.mny
    2013-02-07 23:50:58,665 [AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO  com.le.sunriise.viewer.OpenDbDialog - < Database.open, dbFile=C:\Users\OCELIO\Documents\My_Money1.mny

8 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 17:44
  • Those are just INFO level log entries that indicates the code was able to open file succesfully. If there were error or exceptions those would show up here.

Just to clarify, are you saying that once you open your *.mny file, NOTHING display in the sunriise tool window? Not even a list of tables on the left side panel? If that is the case,  it looks like you have a *.mny file that is totally empty: not even a list of tables.

8 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 19:23
  • When I select the file and press "OK" on sunriise nothing happens.

No messages, no errors, no lists, no nothing.

It´s like I didn´t press ok.

9 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 6:40
  • I uploaded a new version that has some addtional diagnostic

* log the number of tables parsed

* Include the system table MSysObjects which has the list of actuall tableNames that your *.mny file knows about

At minium, your *.mny MUST have table MSysObjects and N number of rows. If MSysObjects  does not exist or MSysObjects  has no rows then you are really hosed.

Download the latest version from: https://code.google.com/p/sunriise/downloads/list

Double click to start

Click on the first icon (MnyViewer) to start the MnyViewer tool, File -> Open to open

Do you see at least table: MSysObjects and how many rows does it have. It should at minimum looks like below (a list of row each represent a tableName). If not, then I would say there is very little chance that you will be able to recover the rest of the data. Log file is named sunrrise-log.txt.

10 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 6:03
  • When I mantain the boxes "read only" and "encrypted" checked, I get the message:

2013-02-13 00:43:12,510 [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR com.le.sunriise.viewer.OpenDbDialog - java.lang.IllegalStateException: Incorrect password provided
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Incorrect password provided

If I uncheck any of these boxes, I get the message:

2013-02-13 00:43:19,134 [AWT-EventQueue-0] WARN  com.le.sunriise.Utils - Cannot lock dbFile=My_Money1. Lock file exists, lockFile=C:\Users\OCELIO\Documents\My_Money1.lrd
    2013-02-13 00:43:19,136 [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR com.le.sunriise.viewer.OpenDbDialog - java.io.IOException: Cannot lock dbFile=C:\Users\OCELIO\Documents\My_Money1.mny
    java.io.IOException: Cannot lock dbFile=C:\Users\OCELIO\Documents\My_Money1.mny

13 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 3:51
  • For now, keep the check mark for "read only" and "encrypted"

Is this *.mny file password-protected, if so, enter the password in the password field.

Can you also check to see if there is a "C:\Users\OCELIO\Documents\My_Money1.lrd". If there is one, this indicates that

* Either you have file My_Money1.mny open currently by MSMoney

* OR this "lock" file is stale which could be removed if My_Money1.mny is not being currently open by MSMoney

13 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 5:40
  • I deleted the *.lrd file.

I checked "read only" and "encrypted".

I entered the password and again I got the message:

2013-02-13 21:17:38,248 [AWT-EventQueue-0] ERROR com.le.sunriise.viewer.OpenDbDialog - java.lang.IllegalStateException: Incorrect password provided
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Incorrect password provided

14 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 0:21
  • I am afraid at this point, I don't think I have additional advise.

Result so far is not consistent for me

* Using MS Money: (you said) "The password is correct because when I insert a wrong password I get a message saying so.".

* Using sunriise: assuming that you are using same file/password whey using sunriise, and yet you are getting "Incorrect password"

Maybe, we shoud get back to the very beginning as ask: what does it mean when you said "the first time in 8 years my file can´t be read."? After you do

File -> Open and specify file C:\Users\OCELIO\Documents\My_Money1.lrd

* Any error dialog

* MS Money crashes?

* MS Money show blank/empy file. In that case, is there a matching file C:\Users\OCELIO\Documents\My_Money1.lrd

19 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 2:05
  • MS Money always crashes after it starts opening.

The message shows:

APPCRASH
    msmoney.exe
    4490fcb5
    StackHash_0a9e
    c0000005
    0a9e
    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    0a9e
    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

People, at this time I am very frustrated.

I´m in front of a file that is 17Mb, a file that I have no problem to copy and move around, but this file has information that seems to be lost forever.

I feel like my house was burned out and my important files are gone. At least that is the only way I thought a file could be beyond repair.

It´s like this file is a top secret file from the CIA, the information is impossible to be extracted.

Frustration!

22 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 1:06
  • MS Money always crashes after it starts opening.

[crash info snipped]

I feel like my house was burned out and my important files are gone. At least that is the only way I thought a file could be beyond repair.

It´s like this file is a top secret file from the CIA, the information is impossible to be extracted.

Frustration!

I understand your frustration and pain. You are unlikely to be able to recover information from that file, no matter what you try.

Here is a long shot idea. Install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset on a different computer. On that computer, try

File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

See if it can make a repaired version of the file you saved. What happens? If nothing, try letting it run over night.

Maybe try File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 1

That is unlikely to make a difference. It's all I can think of.

22 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 1:23
    ผู้ดูแล
  • Just prior to your problems starting did you make ANY changes to your system ?

Furthermore, what Operating System are you running ?

Those APPCRASH details appear to show the failure in the StackHash routine. This is

related to the use of DEP.

I know for a fact that Money 2005 will fail with DEP turned on. I've been using Microsoft's

EMET and I have to selectively turn off DEP for Money, otherwise I get an error.

Do you run with DEP turned on ?

Furthermore, try Cal's suggestion of installing Money on a different machine and opening the file

there. If the same error occurs it's likely to be the file. If it doesn't, the proboem is related to the

instance of Money on your main machine.

• แก้ไขโดย AshleyST 22 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 10:32
    22 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 10:08
  • I tried opening the file in another computer and it didn´t work.

The strangest thing--> When I try a level 1 repair, I get a message that the file was repaired successfully. But the new file created can´t be opened either. When I try a level 2 repair I don´t have the opportunity to wait over night because one second after it starts I get a message that it can´t be repaired.

My frustration is not because the file is not opening, my frustration is because people is capable of cracking the most secure stuff but my file.

22 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 20:39
  • I tried opening the file in another computer and it didn´t work.

The strangest thing--> When I try a level 1 repair, I get a message that the file was repaired successfully. But the new file created can´t be opened either. When I try a level 2 repair I don´t have the opportunity to wait over night because one second after it starts I get a message that it can´t be repaired.

My frustration is not because the file is not opening, my frustration is because people is capable of cracking the most secure stuff but my file.

Interesting. Try a level 2 repair of the file that the level 1 repair created.

You have reported that you know the password and email address credentials, and that you use them when you run your repair attempts. So what you are trying to do is not really cracking. It is trying to fix or access a file corrupted in a way that the repair utility does not successfully deal with. Maybe hleOfxQuotes would try dealing with that if you could get him your file and password and email address used in your credentials. Think about what you might offer him for success.

22 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 20:59
    ผู้ดูแล
  • Cal, I will split the "reward" 50/50 with you for being one of the "good" guy ;-).

Ocelio, please contact me via email hleofxquotes@gmail.com.

23 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 4:18
  • I have tried the level 2 on the new file created, but it didn´t work
    25 กุมภาพันธ์ 2556 19:37