Multiple exchange calendars (and other such folders)

General discussion

• I saw the wmdev tweet to come here to make a suggestion.

I desperately need to be able to view more than one calendar on my Windows Mobile device.

In Outlook, I can create multiple calendars for myself. I can also view shared calendars. I can also view Sharepoint calendars.

I really, really need this functionality in Windows Mobile's Outlook.

I feel like I've been making this suggestion for years and it never happens. In some other devices I can at least now add multiple exchange accounts which allows me to add the other person's account. It isn't pretty as I need them to enter their password when I set it up but it is better than nothing.

(And while we are at it, why not give me multiple contacts folders, and tasks, and everything else that can have subfolders?)
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:26 PM

All replies

• YES PLEASE!

This will save me from having a zillion Private appoitments in my calendar.

Also, if this worked well with Exchange AND multiple Hotmail accounts at the same time.
    I have that as a separete suggestions, multiple Live Mail accounts are impossible right now.

[This will finally get the Palm Pre people off my back.]
    -Nikita Polyakov
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:35 PM
  • The only drawback of such a feature would be that each time you create an appointment, a contact, ..., you would have to choose to which account it applies, but I could live with that :)
    Alberto Silva Microsoft MVP - Device Application Development - http://msmvps.com/AlbertoSilva moving2u - R&D Manager - Microsoft Certified Partner - Mobility Solutions - http://www.moving2u.pt
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 5:54 PM
  • The only drawback of such a feature would be that each time you create an appointment, a contact, ..., you would have to choose to which account it applies, but I could live with that :)
    Alberto Silva Microsoft MVP - Device Application Development - http://msmvps.com/AlbertoSilva moving2u - R&D Manager - Microsoft Certified Partner - Mobility Solutions - http://www.moving2u.pt
    I already basically have to do this in Outlook. I've often created appointments in the other person's calendar when using overlay.

In the creation screen it should just have a drop down box showing which calendar this is going on.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 6:10 PM
  • I too have wanted this feature for years...

Sadly WM has been beaten off the blocks with this feature;  you can already view multiple Google calendars on an Android phone.  It's not the best implementation ever, but it works.  They auto sync with the phone, appointments from each calendar are colour coded and when adding an appointment you simply choose which calendar to add them to.  Very nice - and free from the costs associated with Exchange too.

The Android/Google implementation is not a bad start, but we could do so much better:

Contact birthdays / anniversaries which in Google / Android get divorced from the contact and appear as separate entries on the calendar are so much better in Outlook / WM implementations.

Appointments that appear in both calendars (shared appointments) appear once per Google calendar on the Android phone - not very slick and clutters the screen.

We could share sections of our calendars, eg public / private appointments with individual people & groups.  And as a related topic we should add the facility for different custom categories such as Office, Warehouse, Work Social, Family...  The categories should be server based and made available to all.

Naturally all of this must be pushed to WM phones instantaneously, be clearly visible on the phone and easy to distinguish between appointments in your own, shared and other people's calendars.

Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:30 AM
  • iPhone also has support for multiple contact folders...and doesn't it use ActiveSync? Go figure!
    Friday, January 15, 2010 4:47 AM
  • I absolutely want this feature too.

I wouldn't even mind that I'd have to select a specific calendar and that the other calendars can optionally be shown as greyed out overlays (e.g. read only). Where tapping a greyed out appointment would take you to that appointment in that calendar.

Not only would I want multiple calendars, but also multiple calendar sources. I'd want my work calendar to come from my work exchange server. My personal calendar from gmail and my girlfriends calendar from a public calendar.

It shouldn't all be too hard, but it would be a killer feature for me for Windows Phone 7.

Jesse
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Agreed! My office archives everything that goes through the Exchange server, so I make a real effort to manage my personal email and calendar items (Google accounts) separately from my work accounts (MS Exchange). I already have multiple email accounts setup on my phone, but only one calendar is accommodated? I live on my phone ... I need need need to be able to sync multiple calendars with my phone.

That, and it doesn't help that my husband chose the Motorola Droid with Google's Android OS, which, of course, manages all his office email and calendar in addition to all his Google email, calendar, documents, etc. "Oh, your phone can't do that? hm." he says. I love my Windows phone in every other way, but I never hear the end of it!

Thanks!
    Thursday, March 04, 2010 8:43 PM