Change language of Windows Mobile

Question

•  

Hello. I just bought a HTC TyTN in France and the native language is (of course) french. I'd like to change it to english, spanish or portuguese. Could anyone help me? Thanks.

HTC TyTN Kaiser - Windows Mobile 6.0 French

Sunday, November 11, 2007 11:06 PM

Answers

•  Marco Ruiz wrote:

Ok, my phone come with a licensed version of Windows... How or where can i purchase a license for the language i want (latin-american spanish) and how much does it cost?

Thanks.

That is correct Marco.  It is a licensed with that language that was installed.  If you need a different language on your device, you need to purchase a device with that language installed.  Microsoft sells the OS to the device manufacturers who in turn add what they need to make it all work on their device.  Unfortunately, you just can't buy the language and add it to your device ... it just does not work that way.

Friday, May 30, 2008 4:08 AM
  • Here is a link from TechNet that talks about Windows Mobile and Language Support .  It pretty much goes along with previous replies that 3rd party software is the only solution (at this time).

http://blogs.technet.com/vik/archive/2008/05/30/windows-mobile-and-language-support.aspx

http://www.experiencemobility.net
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 3:10 AM

All replies

• I also purchased a HTC TYTN with German WM6.

I am desperate to change the OS to English. I looked all over the place. All in vain.

Neither HTC nor my provider could help.

It is not even possible to purchase WM6 in English and install it by itself. Sad(

My advice is to resell your device in ebay and purchase one which is already in English.

This is typical with new technologies. They do not realize people's difficulties until millions of customers complain.

It takes time.

Sunday, March 16, 2008 9:43 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem, I am seriously considering selling my brand new htc p3300 and buying a Linux based phone, it's unacceptable that one cannot change the language!

I have heard that it was because of an agreement from Microsoft that limits the language the OS is purchased in. Unlucky for me I received my phone as a present, and am stuck in Spanish. At least I'm kind of learning spanish.
    Thursday, March 20, 2008 10:21 PM
  • The issue is that the device comes with a version of Windows that has been licensed for use.  I am assuming that the vendor would have to pay for a new license.

What happens is a vendor gets the WM ROM, and then makes changes that are appropriate to fit their device specs and of course then the phone companies want to add their particular twist to the device too.  There is no ROM available for John Q Public to purchase and install .... unfortunately.

So, I suppose you could write the company and ask if there was a way to purchase a ROM that is English.  It certainly would not hurt to ask....

Friday, March 21, 2008 5:00 AM
  • Sorry this is not a reply , i am new to this , i have a HTC 710S the language is in english but i would like to add the French and Arabic language to it, does anybody have any suggestions?.

Sunday, May 25, 2008 5:24 PM
  •  

Ok, my phone come with a licensed version of Windows... How or where can i purchase a license for the language i want (latin-american spanish) and how much does it cost?

Thanks.

Friday, May 30, 2008 2:05 AM
  •  Marco Ruiz wrote:

Thanks.

That is correct Marco.  It is a licensed with that language that was installed.  If you need a different language on your device, you need to purchase a device with that language installed.  Microsoft sells the OS to the device manufacturers who in turn add what they need to make it all work on their device.  Unfortunately, you just can't buy the language and add it to your device ... it just does not work that way.

Friday, May 30, 2008 4:08 AM
  • Hi,

I just purchased an HTC cruiser in France, with windows mobile installed.  As I have just seen, I can not change the language from french to english.  As Nokia is the market leader in the mobile phone marke and has been my phone of preference the last 10 years, I must say, it is really dissappointing.  Since Nokia phones can easily make language changes, at least for european languages, I never thought this would be an issue.  I hope this will be the only unpleasant surprise.

License issues asside, (Windows XP or Vista have the same issues with portable PC's), I think this is really poorly thought out by Microsoft.

James 

Friday, June 06, 2008 4:59 AM
  • I bought a Samsung Omnia i900 in Portugal, and I have the same problem as everyone, I can not change it from one language to another such as Portuguese to English. The worst part is that I did an extensive research before buying the phone, no website from Samsung, Microsoft or the telephone carrier, mentioned that the language of the phone was fix and impossible to be changed. Further more the box of the telephone did not mentioned nothing about an especific language version. I actually feel that it has been a matter of mislead advertising from all of them. We should post this problem as much as possible in diferent forums, maybe when the sales of the phones drop, they will decide to do something about it.

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 7:21 PM
  • Hi, for those of you out there with friends that are very computer savvy, you may have them look into ppckitchen.org. and xda-developers
    Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:49 AM
  • Here is a link from TechNet that talks about Windows Mobile and Language Support .  It pretty much goes along with previous replies that 3rd party software is the only solution (at this time).

http://blogs.technet.com/vik/archive/2008/05/30/windows-mobile-and-language-support.aspx

http://www.experiencemobility.net
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 3:10 AM