Continuous system disk activity

问题

• After successful installing PP1 the system disk is continuously active, even when the server storage is balanced and is not used for a while. Before installing PP1 all disk activity would stop after some time. Any ideas what could be happening?

2008年6月18日 9:00

全部回复

• Yes - there have been other forums posts about CPU usage and continuous disk activity in this forum. 

It depends on a couple of factors with the main one being how much data you have on your home server.

After you load Power Pack 1 on your home server, your hard drives are scanned and every "shadow" file on every hard drive is updated to include a back pointer to the "tombstone" file.  If you have no idea what I am talking about, then please read the Windows Home Server Drive Extender Technical Brief available on the Microsoft web site,  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/support.mspx

After the "shadow" files are updated.  The Windows Media Connect (if you have Media Sharing enabled via the Windows Home Server Console - Settings - Media Sharing page) and Windows Desktop Search processes kick off to index the files on your home server.  Once again, depending on the amount of content this can take awhile.   Also, there were several people that reported a bug with PP1 RC4 that caused Windows Desktop Search to not be able to finish indexing.  And thanks to these people submitting a bug (with LOGS) the team was quickly able to understand the issue and a fix has already been checked in and tested for the final release.

Lastly, some people have Add-Ins or 3rd Party Software that has not been tested on Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1 that may be causing problems.   I always would recommend that you test various applications on a test server before loading them on your production home server.

Without any details of your specific situation, # of hard drives, amount of data, server settings for media sharing, # of add-ins installed and which ones, etc. - it is impossible to give you a detailed response.

2008年6月18日 17:39
  • I hope the following is enough information for you to give a detailed response:

Motherboard: Asus P5M2

Processor: Intel Xeon X3210

Memory: 2 Gb DDR2-677

No of hard rives: 3 x Western Digital 750 Gb

Amount of data: shared folders 250 Gb, Duplication 166 Gb, PC Back-ups 109 and System 104 Gb

Media sharing: On for Music, Photos and Videos (Total 64 Gb)

Add-ins installed: None

I have rebooted my server yesterday evening and now after more than 24 hours the system disk is still active.

Sander
    2008年6月19日 8:48
  • If you want the team to investigate this issue then you need to submit a bug with your server logs.  Text based descriptions of problems without logs is not all that useful...for troubleshooting issues without any error messages.
    2008年6月19日 13:27