none
How-to Install SharePoint on Windows Home Server

所有回覆

• All I get is a IE cannot display this page.

2007年11月3日 23:16
  •  Kanebrake wrote:
    All I get is a IE cannot display this page.

The link has been fixed.

2007年11月3日 23:54
    版主
  • I would recommend against using this how-to right now, for anything other than testing Sharepoint. It's great as far as it goes, but it fails to take into account the fact (pointed out several times here in the forums) that Sharepoint uses a SQL database to store it's content. When you install WSS 3.0, it will install SQL Server Embedded Edition, and will create the database on the C: drive. Left there, you'll eventually fill up your system partition with Sharepoint data.

I have a draft of a similar "how to" that will include tools and scripts to move the database to a location of your choosing. I won't be finishing that "how to" today, or (probably) tomorrow, because I want to package up the scripts in an easy to use form, but sometime this week...
    2007年11月4日 13:31
    版主
  • Tom

Not withstanding Ken's excellent point about the space on the C: drive, I have a question.

Is there any good  reason you reccommend "Deleting" and "Recreating"  the "SharePoint" Site , I believe you can achieve the goal of installing "SharePoint" and have it co-exist with the WHS Websites without doing deletion and recreation.

Your steps:

Creating a New Sharepoint Site: 1 to 17 can be skipped. I would continue with the other steps and change "How to re-enable the Windows Home Server Site" to

How to  re-enable the Windows Home Server Site and Edit the Port # for the Sharepoint Site.

1. On the Windows Home Server Administrator Desktop click on Start -> Run -> type 'inetmgr' (no quotes) and press Enter

2. In IIS Manager expand out Web Sites

3. Right click on the Sharepoint site

4. Click on properties
    5. On the Website Tab Change the TCP Port to 8085 ( as per your Example)
    6. Click "Apply" "and "OK"
    7. Right-click on Default Web Site

8. Click on Start

9. Close "IIS"

You are good to go.

I thank you for you input on this topic it has been a very active discussion during the last months with about 5-6 threads on it.

2007年11月4日 14:16
  • Rouza,

The reason that I remove the website and then re-create it, is because I based my guide off of the SBS 2003 guide that is on TechNet, and also I never have been able to get SharePoint to work on a different port just by changing it in IIS Manager.

My personal feeliing is that all of the SharePoint configuration should be made within SharePoint Central Admin, and let Central Admin make the IIS changes, etc.

I do understand that having the database on C: can take up a lot of space eventually, to be completely honest, this is a v1 guide that I know a lot of people have been asking for. I am already working on a v1.5 of the guide that will have steps for putting the database somewhere else.

-Tom

2007年11月4日 19:21
    版主
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I would recommend against using this how-to right now, for anything other than testing Sharepoint. It's great as far as it goes, but it fails to take into account the fact (pointed out several times here in the forums) that Sharepoint uses a SQL database to store it's content. When you install WSS 3.0, it will install SQL Server Embedded Edition, and will create the database on the C: drive. Left there, you'll eventually fill up your system partition with Sharepoint data.

I have a draft of a similar "how to" that will include tools and scripts to move the database to a location of your choosing. I won't be finishing that "how to" today, or (probably) tomorrow, because I want to package up the scripts in an easy to use form, but sometime this week...

I'd like to get Sharepoint up and running but I definately don't want to use the C: drive. Any progress on your "how to" that includes some direction to get the database to another drive? Or, can someone provide a brief "how to" on how to do this?

Thanks,

2007年11月22日 2:48
  • Yes. I have a set of scripts that seems to do the trick. I need to package them up and document them, which I won't be doing this weekend, as I'm out of town. Next week sometime is the best I can offer.
    2007年11月22日 4:46
    版主
  •  ROUZA wrote:

Tom

Not withstanding Ken's excellent point about the space on the C: drive, I have a question.

Is there any good  reason you reccommend "Deleting" and "Recreating"  the "SharePoint" Site , I believe you can achieve the goal of installing "SharePoint" and have it co-exist with the WHS Websites without doing deletion and recreation.

Your steps:

Creating a New Sharepoint Site: 1 to 17 can be skipped. I would continue with the other steps and change "How to re-enable the Windows Home Server Site" to

How to  re-enable the Windows Home Server Site and Edit the Port # for the Sharepoint Site.

1. On the Windows Home Server Administrator Desktop click on Start -> Run -> type 'inetmgr' (no quotes) and press Enter

2. In IIS Manager expand out Web Sites

3. Right click on the Sharepoint site

4. Click on properties
    5. On the Website Tab Change the TCP Port to 8085 ( as per your Example)
    6. Click "Apply" "and "OK"
    7. Right-click on Default Web Site

8. Click on Start

9. Close "IIS"

You are good to go.

I thank you for you input on this topic it has been a very active discussion during the last months with about 5-6 threads on it.

It Actually is easier to create a new site and delete the old one. Your method will also work but you will also have to change the Port Number in Share Point 3.0 Central admin and then Re-run the The Sharepoint Product and Technologies Wizard to get the changes to take effect.

The Data base in my case is not very large. but that is dependant on how one uses it. Both my Share Point Website and my data base are stored on another drive as well as my Program Files Directory. I made sure not to add this drive to the storage Pool.

Keep your eye out for the tools that Ken mentions as you will definately want to use something other than the c:/ drive

Rex Geissinger

2007年11月22日 17:42
  •  

Tom, I can't thank you enough.  Awesome.

I had been pounding my head against the wall trying to get Sharepoint runnning alongside the WHS site.  Your guide made it, well, easy.  Very nice.

Once you get those database relocation scripts done... it'll be teh bomb.  I'm already planning on relocating the SharePoint web directory (once I can free up a drive...)

Thanks again!

2007年11月22日 18:02
  •  Rex Geissinger wrote:

Keep your eye out for the tools that Ken mentions as you will definately want to use something other than the c:/ drive

Sorry it's taking so long for me to get this to the top of my queue. Off to eat too much...
    2007年11月22日 18:09
    版主
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    Yes. I have a set of scripts that seems to do the trick. I need to package them up and document them, which I won't be doing this weekend, as I'm out of town. Next week sometime is the best I can offer.

Thanks Ken. Anytime at your convenience. If you can get to it next week, that would be great!

Again, thanks a lot.

Kevin

2007年11月22日 18:48
  •  Rex

I know from previous post that you have been at the forefront on this issue and I might not be doing things as the experts would want you to,however both you and Tom are using instruction posted by Microsoft-is  on a SERVER that already has a Sharepoint 2.0 Site installed.

Ther is no need to delete the site created by your installation because there are no Sharepoint Sites installed on WHS, if I use the logic of deleting the "Default Site" then I will  delete the WHS Website which is running on Port 80

My suggestion is to install Sharepoint and just make the port changes in IIS and Sharepoint Central Administration 3.0. and thats all. There is no need to re run the Wizard.

Why install a site just to delete it and create the very same site and then edit the Port # in IIS and Central Admin 3.0

Just edit the Port # in IIS and Central Admin 3.0 !!!

It should take about 5 Minutes once Sharepint is Installed.

As to moving the Sharepoint Data form the System Drive I agree with that 100%. Any help in doing this with a script as Ken is working on will be helpful. But again if you can install Sharepoint moving the Data will be a cakewalk.

Regards

2007年11月22日 19:25
  •  ROUZA wrote:

Rex

I know from previous post that you have been at the forefront on this issue and I might not be doing things as the experts would want you to,however both you and Tom are using instruction posted by Microsoft-is  on a SERVER that already has a Sharepoint 2.0 Site installed.

Ther is no need to delete the site created by your installation because there are no Sharepoint Sites installed on WHS, if I use the logic of deleting the "Default Site" then I will  delete the WHS Website which is running on Port 80

My suggestion is to install Sharepoint and just make the port changes in IIS and Sharepoint Central Administration 3.0. and thats all. There is no need to re run the Wizard.

Why install a site just to delete it and create the very same site and then edit the Port # in IIS and Central Admin 3.0

Just edit the Port # in IIS and Central Admin 3.0 !!!

It should take about 5 Minutes once Sharepint is Installed.

As to moving the Sharepoint Data form the System Drive I agree with that 100%. Any help in doing this with a script as Ken is working on will be helpful. But again if you can install Sharepoint moving the Data will be a cakewalk.

Regards

Rouza, Your absolutely correct and your method works fine, After you installed or re-installed SharePoint several times you will get set up quickly with your method. THe directions apply in the sense that even though you do not have an old Sharepoint 2.0 site installed you already have  the WHS site on port 80 that holds the same place

But I and I assume Tom were thinking of the first time installer who might not have much experience with Share Point or IIS and just want to get SharePoint up and running. It is was much easier to let them go ahead and follow the pre written directions than write new ones showing someone how to navigate to or find where you would need to change the port number in the Sharepoint Admin. and IIS. (Tom added what MS left out some great Screen Shots)

When you delete the default site In share point Admin.you are not deleting the WHS on port 80, it is the default Sharepoint site created during install that is removed, not the WHS site which cannot be touched using SharePoint Admin.

I know from experience that 9 out of 10 times if you edit the port in IIS and in Central Admin. it will work but that 1 time it will fail and you will need to re-run the configuration wizard anyway. It was just simpler to say run the wizard every time to make everyones install successful. Hope that explains Why I left those steps in.

Have Fun Guys and have a Happy Thanks giving!

Rex Geissinger

2007年11月22日 20:32
  •  

I am looking for some suggestions as to what might be wrong after following Tom's guide for a WHS/SharePoint Services 3.0 install.

As the above comment eludes to I have been unsuccessful installing SharePoint Services with WHS (OEM).  The install is smooth and I am able to edit Sharepoint Central Administration 3.0 and IIS per instructions.  Although the Sharepoint Central Administration 3.0 works (<server>:<someport>) the SharePoint site cannot be found (HTTP 404 ).  The url that is setup is <domain>.homeserver.com:8085  The only thing during install that is different from Tom's guide is that I am prompted to login when accessing Central Administration 3.0

I currently have a few test websites setup under the Default Website in IIS.  These work fine with SharePoint installed.

I have a fair amount of experience with IIS but I am not sure what is going on here. I have setup SharePoint Services 3.0 on a 2003 box at work and encountered no problems...  Could this be something outside the SharePoint install?  Router, WHS version (OEM) additional IIS setting, other?

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Russ

2007年11月23日 18:31
  • I would suggest you remove the site you created and start over.

Be careful with the names assigned to the site. take alook at this step

11. Skip down to the section titled Load Balanced URL, and ensure that the in that field it says http://yourhomeserverwebsite.homeserver.com:XXXX

Try : http://servername:8085

Or you can try an alternate method since you are comfy with IIS.

Try this

• Delete the site
    • Uninstall Sharepoint

after restart

1. Reinstall Sharepoint Using the Basic install
    2. Edit the Alternate Access mapping  adding :8085
    3. Edit IIS -Sharepoint-80 changing the TCP  Port to match 2. above
    4. Reestart the Default Website.

See my earlier post in this thread.

good luck

2007年11月23日 21:39
  • Dont use the external domain name just use http://ServerNameStick out tongueortNumber

Rex Geissinger 

Ok, How do you turn them D@#m Smiley's off?

2007年11月24日 14:56
  • Rex, you can just put a space after every colon (like I do) Smile If you check any of my posts where I list something like a drive letter, and it's in parens, you'll see there's a space there.
    2007年11月24日 15:22
    版主
  •  Rex Geissinger wrote:

Dont use the external domain name just use http://ServerNameStick out tongueortNumber

Rex Geissinger 

Ok, How do you turn them D@#m Smiley's off?

Rex

Good to see you caught the error in Tom's instructions as I posted.

Maybe you should write your own. !!!!!!

Again it is easier to just edit "Alternate Access Mapping and IIS" much fewer thing can go wrong and if it does there are ony 2 places to look at. and fix

I actually followed Tom's How To and ran in to additional problems including the one I reffered to in my earlier post (I truly beleived that I was being an idiot in disagreeing with him and you) There is I think a redundant step in his  editing of "Alternate Access Mapping" I gave up and uninstalled Sharepoint and then reinstalled.

Ken

Thanks for the hint on turning  of the  it really bugged me and I had to edit my post a few times to get rid of it.

Please post you Scripts and solve everyone's problem with installing Sharepoint ,using what  has been posted creates more problems than it solves.

2007年11月24日 15:49
  • Are you saying not to use the external domain name in the central admin LoadBalanced URL setup?  By doing this will the remote connection to SharePoint still work?

2007年11月24日 16:01
  • Thanks Ken I needed that : )

2007年11月24日 16:02
  •  R. Hitch wrote:

Are you saying not to use the external domain name in the central admin LoadBalanced URL setup?  By doing this will the remote connection to SharePoint still work?

Correct.

Do not worry about remote access to Sharepoint at this time. Get Sharepoint up and running and then we can help you with that part.

You might find that the issue is covered later in "Tom's How To".

2007年11月24日 16:18
  •  R. Hitch wrote:

Are you saying not to use the external domain name in the central admin LoadBalanced URL setup?  By doing this will the remote connection to SharePoint still work?

Yes, as long as that port is forwarded to the server in your router and allowed in the firewall. From outside your network a DNS server resolves the qualified domain name to the server IP. All the server see's is http: //206.12.34.56: 8085 the server recognizes this as a http request and pass's it to IIS. IIS see's the port number and chooses the correct site.

EDIT:

thats the simple version, generally IIS only needs the IP address to get to the default site which is port 80 or IP + Port number for the other sites If you use Host Header files it's a different ball game and that's not what were dealing with here...

Rex Geissinger

2007年11月24日 16:21
  • I have SharePoint up and running on port 8085 (http://<server>:8085).  I used the following steps:

1) .Net 3 Install

2) SharePoint Services 3.0 Basic Install

3) Configure SharePoint Alternate Access Maps - add port 8085 to server URL (http://<server>:8085)

4) Configure IIS -  Change SharePoint port (port 8085) and restart Default Website

5) Add port 8085 to firewall

I can access the SharePoint site from the server or local intranet clients.  In either case I am required to login as Administrator.

Questions:

1) How are logins handled with SharePoint?  I am not sure where/how to setup accounts that SharePoint will recognize.

2) What is the best approach to enable remote access (i.e. <domain>.homeserver.com)?  SharePoint changes, host headers, router port, etc.

Thanks for the help!

2007年11月24日 22:20
  •  R. Hitch wrote:

I have SharePoint up and running on port 8085 (http://<server>:8085).  I used the following steps:

1) .Net 3 Install

2) SharePoint Services 3.0 Basic Install

3) Configure SharePoint Alternate Access Maps - add port 8085 to server URL (http://<server>:8085)

4) Configure IIS -  Change SharePoint port (port 8085) and restart Default Website

5) Add port 8085 to firewall

I can access the SharePoint site from the server or local intranet clients.  In either case I am required to login as Administrator.

Questions:

1) How are logins handled with SharePoint?  I am not sure where/how to setup accounts that SharePoint will recognize.

2) What is the best approach to enable remote access (i.e. <domain>.homeserver.com)?  SharePoint changes, host headers, router port, etc.

Thanks for the help!

R. Hitch

I am gald you were able to get it up and running and thanks for posting your steps.( I see eventually you follwed my steps) Thanks for giving it a shot.

As to you questions I will try to point you in the right direction

1) Log in to SharePoint As Administrator and in the Lower Left side of the HomePage click on "Poeple And Groups"

Then Select "Team Site Members" then "new" , "users",on the left Select "All Autenticated Users" "OK" and  now All Users on your WHS will now have "log in righs as "Team Members"

2) Remote Access - Foward Port 8085 to your WHS on your Router

Router- Exact steps are determined by you Router

Host Header - If you are using XXXX.Homeserver.com  - I dont think there is a way to assigned a "HostHeader" you   will  need a "Sub Domain" or another Domain.

3)Sharepoint Changes -What do you have in Mind?

The above is a very basic guide and once you access the different confgurations just take you time and read the notices they are quite helpful.

Please stay tuned for Ken Warrens scripts on "Moving the Database from the C: Drive ( if you are going to use "Sharepoint" extensively you should move the Database)

Of Course you can take a stab at doing it manually (its not very diffircult) and you were able to get through the Installation dispite some "unclear" instructions and a couple false starts.

Congrats

2007年11月24日 23:25
  • The user login setup is resolved and appears to be working as expected.

The questons of access outside my local network still remains.  Once I forwarded ported 8085 on my router SharePoint would be loaded when the url http://<domain>.homeserver.com:8085 is used.  I had to enable anonymous access for the site as SharePoint wanted a login against <domian>.homeserver.com.  Once I did this SharePoint would load but a signin is required.  It is interesting that the <domian>.homeserver.com:8085 url resolves in my browser as http://<server>:8085 ?

It must also must be called with a http:// or the browser will not find SharePoint.

I have not tested "internet" access yet.  I will let you know the results.

Thanks,

Russ 

2007年11月25日 1:50
  • I've been looking all over the site for a thread like this. I have followed the instructions but I want the SQL database on another, stand-alone drive that is not in the WHS pool. How can I move the database from the C drive? Ideally, it would be nice to have the SQL database resident in the pool but that isn't terribly important to me.

I see references in this thrread to some scripts to automate the the process. Can someone point me to where they might be?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

2007年12月9日 17:42
  • @Ralph Andrews: The easiest way to move your database to another drive (and do other DB maintainance things) is to use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express.

1. Use Services to stop the SharePoint service processes so database integrity is assured.
    2. Installing Management Studio Express.
    3. Launch Management Studio Express and connect to your local SQL Server Express instance.
    4. Right-click on the appropriate databases in the explorer view and Disconnect them (do NOT delete the data files).
    5. Using "normal Windows means" (Windows Explorer, command line, whatever) move the actual database files and their associated log files to the new desired location.
    6. Back in Management Studio Express, right-click the appropriate databases and Connect them, navigating to the new location to find the database files.
    7. Restart the SharePoint service processes or reboot.

If any of this is unclear, you can check the help docs within Management Studio Express for "how to move a database".

tkarp

2007年12月9日 18:15
  •  Tom Karpowitz wrote:

@Ralph Andrews: The easiest way to move your database to another drive (and do other DB maintainance things) is to use Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express.

1. Use Services to stop the SharePoint service processes so database integrity is assured.
    2. Installing Management Studio Express.
    3. Launch Management Studio Express and connect to your local SQL Server Express instance.
    4. Right-click on the appropriate databases in the explorer view and Disconnect them (do NOT delete the data files).
    5. Using "normal Windows means" (Windows Explorer, command line, whatever) move the actual database files and their associated log files to the new desired location.
    6. Back in Management Studio Express, right-click the appropriate databases and Connect them, navigating to the new location to find the database files.
    7. Restart the SharePoint service processes or reboot.

If any of this is unclear, you can check the help docs within Management Studio Express for "how to move a database".

tkarp

Hey Tom. Thanks. I'll give this a shot. It seems like in theory, I could create the new database in a WHS folder.

Ralph

2007年12月9日 18:54
  • Hey all,

Glad to see that people are trying out the guide, and finding my mistakes. Smile

I currently am working on doing an update to the guide that will include creating the database in a larger location on another drive, as well as some new screenshots, and some other minor updates.

Thanks!

2008年1月11日 0:40
    版主
  •  

Tom

I have an HP Ex475

I have tried installing accoring to your 'how to'

All goes well.

except, I cannot delete the web application (I click delete and nothing happens)

and if I try to add a new one, I can complete all and again does nothing when I try to add.

I have also tried the alternative solutions above in this thread, however again nothing can be changed.

I have reinstalled but no luck.

I can add documents to the database team site.

Have you or any other readers any experience of this?

Could HP have set something in the OEM to prevent this.

(I ask that because they have switched of shadow copies/previous versions,  for instance.)

Any update on the change of database location.?

Of course, only of interest if I can change the above.

Thanks

2008年3月28日 12:09
  • I am very much a newbie to all things sql, web, IIS and sharepoint but thought your instructions were really clear so had a go.
    On the first attempt of the install I could not figure out how to get intranet clients to see the website, looked over the instructions (I was using v1 of yours) and thought I would start over. Uninstalled sharepoint...

Since then I have enjoyed a world of pain.

1. I seems that uninstalling sharepoint doesn’t really do that.

2. I have uninstalled and reinstalled loads of times and find the I cannot get the configuration wizard to complete. I have had so many different errors I can’t count them.

3. Tried all sorts of things: Deleting websites and re-running wizard and the instructions on this page regarding removal of IIS etc. Each time I seem to be getting closer but then the wizard fails again at some point.

4. Found your latest version of the notes and tried those. I noticed (on page 2) you now talk about using the advanced option and changing the location of the data – don’t understand this since later you then advise running the scripts to move the database to a different location (part 4 Page 5).

a. When using the advanced method the config wizard failed at the 2nd stage – unable to connect to database.
    b. Uninstalled sharepoint and did the basic install.
    c. But sill the config wizard fails with another issue. At the moment it is complaining: “Cannot open database WSS_search_servername”. Ahhhhhhhhh!

Any ideas what I can do to get this wizard to complete?

2008年8月2日 14:17
  • Just downloaded the how to guide.

There is a missing link         " SharePoint Database Move Scripts (Courtesy Ken Warren – WHS MVP) – Download here"

Can someone please provide an updated link

Thanks
    2009年2月2日 0:44
  • The link you're probably looking for. Also you should take a look at the rest of Tom's blog. There's more useful information there.

Please also bear in mind that this is an unsupported modification of your server; there are only certain platforms that Sharepoint is supported on and WHS isn't one of them. So what you'll be doing is at your own risk.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    2009年2月2日 1:29
    版主
  • Hi all,
    unfortunately, I am not able to download the moving scripts - the page seems to be down or not reachable at all. So, is there a guide to do it step by step by myself? It shouldn't be rocketsciences, shouldn't it?

pz
    2009年3月8日 16:45
  • Please check Tom's blog; he may have moved the downloads.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    2009年3月9日 1:49
    版主
  • Hi,

I have the same problem, did you ever get a solution to your post or this problem.  I cannot create or delete anything as the button does not execute a command.  I've even reinstalled the server via recovery and it didn't work...

Any help you have would be great.

Thanks
    2009年12月7日 5:33
  • One way to avoid the SQL on C issue is to install the SQL 2008 express editions first to the other drive.  When you install Sharepoint choose a full/farm install and point to the database server instance usually servername\sqlexpress.
    2010年2月24日 20:58
  • Hi,
    I have just installed WSS 3.0 on my WHS using Tom's guide and scripts - and it seems to work great within my home network and, more importantly, using only my own credentials. Using my wife's or any other set of credentials, it immediately gives an error message of "Access Denied".
    Furthermore, I followed the remote access instructions pretty carefully, but have not been able to log into it from the Internet. I forwarded port 8064 on my router to the WHS and I try accessing http://***MYDOMAIN***.homeserver.com:8064 - without success, the page times out. I also made the exception in the firewall for that port as well.
    Let me mention that all my other forwarding rules on the router are working fine - there are a few I have in place for the Remote Access, I can even access my desktops at home through WHS and all the other remote functions, but Sharepoint is a big mistery.
    I should also state that "Anynomous Access" is not listed where it's described in the manual (or any other documentation from Microsoft) - as if I am missing that part of the menu.
    So, this is a two-part problem:

Within my home network, what do I need to do to allow other users to access the Sharepoint (this way, these few users could VPN when remote and still access).

How can I enable remote access from the Internet zone?
    2010年3月9日 3:15
  • It's been a while since you posted this.  I've been able to recently build my WHS and have sharepoint up and running but before I do too much with it I wanted to see if there was a way to move the data files in Sharepoint to the data area within WHS.  Or would it be best to move it to an isolated drive outside of WHS?
    2010年8月31日 21:45
  • Hi,

I know it's been a long time since your post but did you ever resolve your problem as I am experiencing exactly the same?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Tony

2010年12月4日 11:44
  • Ken

Could I please get a copy of your draft how to document with the sql install

Thank you

walter sheets

walter.sheets@sbcglobal.net

2011年1月5日 13:44