none
Proposing as Answer on threads you start

問題

• On one of my posts on a thread (here ) I decided to Propose as Answer. I can do so on every other thread, right? But this one I started, so I can mark answers but there is no Propose as answer button, so with a bit of curiosity I found this out... Let's look at the screenshots...

First you see what post I am trying to Propose on.

Now that we opened the link in a new tab, this comes up.

As you can see, the 'set' in front of the 'Answer' denotes the Marking as Answer, replacing that with 'propose' gives this:

Now just place a check in the box...

and pressing Submit delivers this:

So I can't Propose Answers on my own threads, yet I can propose answers everywhere else? This doesn't make sense to me, please explain.

- JoelbX
    JoelbX's favorite threads | Space | ----- | Email me | 'Gadget' programs
    • 已編輯 JoelbX 2009年12月19日 1:41 edit signature :)
    2009年11月18日 22:13

解答

• Davewik, obviously you did not read my reply.

In my example I would like to credit Carey with something, but not an answer since the other replies were closer to the answer. However anyone can vote as helpful so no one would really know who voted as helpful, was it a couple lookers at the post, or was it the OP.

We need something where the OP can give a honorable mention that only the OP can give, not vote as helpful where anyone can give it.

- JoelbX
    • 已標示為解答 JoelbX 2009年11月20日 17:53
    • 已編輯 JoelbX 2009年12月19日 1:43 edit signature :)
    2009年11月20日 15:17
  • Thanks David.

I've managed to look at the this scenario and currently it's by design. I take this back. Apologize for the confusion here. Thread Owner is the best person who can judge the reply as Answer and he would be marking a post as Answer only when he really feels that post is Answer to his Question. Proposed As Answer posts doesn’t really say that post has Answer to the Question. My 2 cents.

Both features Propose and Marked as answer are sensitive topics and community members have been talking about this for quite a while. For now, it's by design that OP's can't propose as answers which to me makes sense but to other it doesn't.

Anyhow, we'll need to look at these features and we don't have any current plans to change the behavior. Although, this is something that we've been discussing from time to time.

Thanks for all the feedback.
    Forums Test Lead
    • 已標示為解答 JoelbX 2009年11月20日 17:50
    2009年11月20日 17:36
    管理員

所有回覆

• In a thread you started you can mark a response as the answer. It makes no sense for you to propose a post as answer, because as the questioner you should know if it is the answer you were looking for.

In my  opinion, propose as answer is a pretty useless feature, especially since responders can propose their own posts as answer (and some responders routinely do this).

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    2009年11月19日 2:56
  • Ya it does not make sence for u to propose ur post as an answer.
    Do you mean to say for ur query some one else will approve it as the answer(the Moderators)
    You are the right person to tell whether ur post is the answer of the query you provide.
    Hope this helps !!
    Sudeep   |    My Blog
    2009年11月19日 13:55
  • OK Sudeep, using my own reply to my own thread is a bad example...

New example:
    Take this question thread I started and specific post: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itproxpsp/thread/eefc7623-4795-4486-bfc3-afcbbe94451f#a9c4df4f-cb1e-40ec-83c6-4a0defcbf623

Carey was pretty close to the solution, but the other replies were closer to it, this is why he does not have an answer, however since he was close to the solution I would like to credit him with a Proposal, not just vote as helpful (as anyone can vote as helpful so how would he know that it was me who voted the post as helpful?), but these forums have this bug where I can't propose as answer on my own threads, only mark as answer.

- JoelbX
    • 已編輯 JoelbX 2009年12月19日 1:42 edit signature :)
    2009年11月19日 15:06
  • Thanks Joel.

I believe this is a bug. Thread owners should be able to propose and mark posts as answers other than thread owner's posts.

I'll ping my team on this.

Thanks.
    Forums Test Lead
    2009年11月19日 23:11
    管理員
  • Thanks Don!
    - JoelbX
    2009年11月19日 23:23
  • Thanks Joel.

I believe this is a bug. Thread owners should be able to propose and mark posts as answers other than thread owner's posts.

I'll ping my team on this.

Thanks.
    Forums Test Lead

Don:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Propose by OP is something we managed to get rid of long ago. It was invariably used by novices who did not (understandably) appreciate the difference between Propose and Mark.

OP should vote a response as helpful if it contributes to the answer, but is not the whole answer.

A proposal is a suggestion to OP or a moderator that the post should be marked as answer. Unfortunately, right now it is pretty much useless because the signal of valid 3rd party proposals is swamped by the noise of self-proposals.

But IMHO, we would be better off without Propose altogether. Mark as answer and Vote as helpful are sufficient. We do not need three things. It's just too confusing, as seen here.
    2009年11月20日 13:22

In my example I would like to credit Carey with something, but not an answer since the other replies were closer to the answer. However anyone can vote as helpful so no one would really know who voted as helpful, was it a couple lookers at the post, or was it the OP.

We need something where the OP can give a honorable mention that only the OP can give, not vote as helpful where anyone can give it.

- JoelbX
    • 已標示為解答 JoelbX 2009年11月20日 17:53
    2009年11月20日 15:17
  • Thanks David.

I've managed to look at the this scenario and currently it's by design. I take this back. Apologize for the confusion here. Thread Owner is the best person who can judge the reply as Answer and he would be marking a post as Answer only when he really feels that post is Answer to his Question. Proposed As Answer posts doesn’t really say that post has Answer to the Question. My 2 cents.

Both features Propose and Marked as answer are sensitive topics and community members have been talking about this for quite a while. For now, it's by design that OP's can't propose as answers which to me makes sense but to other it doesn't.

Anyhow, we'll need to look at these features and we don't have any current plans to change the behavior. Although, this is something that we've been discussing from time to time.

Thanks for all the feedback.
    Forums Test Lead
    • 已標示為解答 JoelbX 2009年11月20日 17:50
    2009年11月20日 17:36
    管理員
  • OK, thanks for clarification, however please suggest a honorable mention the only the OP can give like I mentioned in the last reply that isn't the Propose or vote as helpful function.

Sounds like I will be awarding answers now... and others vote as helpful

- JoelbX
    • 已編輯 JoelbX 2009年12月19日 1:56 edit signature :)
    2009年11月20日 17:50

Joel:

I really don't think it matters who votes the post as helpful.

2009年11月20日 19:16
  • Joel:

You just don't see my point.

I would like something other than propose that only the OP can give (and everyone knows the OP gave it), so the poster can see you were almost but not quite on the money, where as voting is basically anoymous, no one except the voter knows who gave the vote.
    - JoelbX
    • 已編輯 JoelbX 2009年12月19日 1:55 edit signature :)
    2009年11月20日 19:34

• I would like something other than propose that only the OP can give (and everyone knows the OP gave it), so the poster can see you were almost but not quite on the money, where as voting is basically anoymous, no one except the voter knows who gave the vote. 

Joel, then you can voteup, quote-n-post with your unique signature - JoelbX

Just like that   ;)

that's a thought...

was wondering when you were gonna jump on here...

- JoelbX
    2009年11月21日 0:09
  • Joel:

You just don't see my point.

I would like something other than propose that only the OP can give (and everyone knows the OP gave it), so the poster can see you were almost but not quite on the money, where as voting is basically anoymous, no one except the voter knows who gave the vote.

No. I see your point, but I do not agree with it.

If you want to give credit to someone's response, then post accordingly and/or vote the response as helpful.

We cannot have separate concepts for every single nuance of answering a question. IMHO we already have too many features, not too few.

2009年11月21日 2:26
  • Then how about in the faq give a guided tutorial on how the forums work, not dumb down the forums for them. That should point noobs in the right track.

- JoelbX
    2009年11月21日 14:49
  • Then how about in the faq give a guided tutorial on how the forums work, not dumb down the forums for them. That should point noobs in the right track.
    Yes, I think that an explanation of the meaning of proposing and marking as answer should be included in the FAQ, though I do feel that the fact this is needed is an indication that the forums are too complicated.

I also think that a careful explanation of these concepts would reveal that there is something wrong with the current system with regard to the availability of self-marking a self-proposing.

But that is another story...

2009年11月22日 13:31
  • Carey was pretty close to the solution, but the other replies were closer to it, this is why he does not have an answer, however since he was close to the solution I would like to credit him with a Proposal, not just vote as helpful (as anyone can vote as helpful so how would he know that it was me who voted the post as helpful?), but these forums have this bug where I can't propose as answer on my own threads, only mark as answer.

- JoelbX

Hi,
    What if someone else marks the post as proposed answer?
    Again you would not be able to show that it was helpful to you.
    It would cause more confusion as already many thread initiators donot mark the post as answered. It could be they would just propose it as answer and the moderator would have to mark the posts as answers.

I still believe that an answer is an answer nothing like close to an answer. Mark it as helpful.
    And the thread initiator is the best person to say whether the post is an answer or not.
    If you wish to convey something else just post it that he/she was close but not really the answer.
    Hope this helps !!
    Sudeep   |    My Blog
    2009年11月23日 9:20