After 'repairing' XP Pro install Activation doesn't run

問題

• Ok, the short story.  My system wouldn't start up even into safe command prompt.  So, I put in the XP disk and Repaired the installation.  After that it boots up fine, comes up to the login screen, even loads my custom desktop picture.  I log in (it even logs into my domain) and it says, Windows needs to Activate in order to run.
    That didn't surprise me.  I click yes.  Nothing ever happens (well not for 30 minutes).  My screen is blank except for my desktop background and mouse pointer.  No CTRL ALT DEL, no ALT Tab, nothing.  The only things that tell me the pc is still running is my mouse will pop into a circle if I hit the left cntrl key (it does that) and if I hit shift 5 times the disability help functions come up. 

I then realized I might have 2 problems.  One the XP disk I used was not actually for that machine and it was a SP2 disk and my system was SP3.  So I downloaded SP3 on another machine and installed it again.  I can only get into a safe mode command prompt.  Safe mode, safe mode with network and normal all ask for activation then do nothing.

In safe mode I was able to run the MGA Diag and it shows the wrong COA.  It won't connect to the internet in command prompt mode, so it can't do the automatic fix.

I downloaded the tool to change the COA, but it won't run in safe mode.  SO I am stuck.  I can go into normal mode, but can't do anything.  The tools I need to maybe fix it won't run in safe mode

The actual recovery disk for this system will reformat and repartition my harddrive and I want to avoid that if possible.

Any helpful ideas?
    2009年4月15日 23:20

解答

• Hey mate I had this same problem today with a customers computer after doing a Windows repair on it, I found this on a forum somewhere after doing a lot of googling basically it just resets the activation timer then once you are in Windows again you can activate it again here are the steps.

Reseting the Activation Trial:
    ------------------------------
    In this example: Your activation period has expired, (past 30 days) and you need to get to Normal mode again.

1. Turn On your PC

2. Press F8 repeatedly and go to Safe Mode

3. Logon as per normal
    (note: Administrator password is usually blank, but hopefully you know your password)

4. Allow the Desktop to fully load (answering "Yes" to continue into Safe Mode)
    (note: This is just a long way of saying go to Safe Mode)

5. Click on Start - Run

6. Type in exactly: rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk (and click OK)
    (note: one space, after "rundll32.exe " also the Oo are two letter o's in "oobe"; capitals and comma are important)

7. Wait a couple of seconds (although you will Not see any change)

8. Restart your PC normally (Start - Shutdown - Restart - Ok)

9. You are now able to go to Normal Mode again (For another 30 days !!!)

10. Do whatever you like, you're back to Normal.

This fixed it for me but took me a long time to find this and get it going, hopefully it works for you to. 
    2009年9月19日 3:02

所有回覆

• Hello :-),

We understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1.      Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.

2.      Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Windows” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

If you could also please follow the steps outlined below, the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Step 2 is to look on the computer itself, in the documentation you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    2009年4月15日 23:23
  • I will do that, but please note that anything I have to go to the internet is NOT going to work.  I downloaded the latest WGA tool and used it on that system, but ONLY by copying it to CD and running it in Safe Mode Command Prompt.  That system can't run anything in normal mode.  I'll get the info off the COA and post it in the morning.

If I could JUST get it to the activation wizard, I could phone in and get it running, but the wizard NEVER runs.
    2009年4月16日 1:07
  • Hello Droopie85GT,

Please visit the following Knowledge Based "KB" Article 326851 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851 "Activation and registration of a Microsoft product".

To activate your product over the telephone, use one of the following numbers:

• Office activation (U.S. only): (888) 652-2342
    • Windows activation: (888) 571-2048
    • TTY number: (800) 718-1599
    • If you are an International customer, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
      http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/numbers.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/numbers.mspx)

Thank you,

Stephen  

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm

2009年4月16日 18:54
  • As luck would have it, I just left it running last night and went to bed.  Evidently, the server service was hanging on reboot.  After about 20-30 minutes it will finally ____ out, generate the error and then the service will start.  I guess at that point the activation wizard comes up.  So I called in and got activated.  I am working on figuring out what's causing the server service to hang on startup.

Problem fixed.
    2009年4月17日 2:05
  • Hey Droopie,

We are glad to hear you are back up and running again :-).  Take care and have a super weekend

Stephen
    2009年4月17日 18:36
  • Stephen, I don't believe you are comprehending the question here.  Everything you are suggesting to do requires access to a normal windows desktop and or the actual activation window.  I also am having the same problem with a customer machine that I attempted the windows repair on. 

Boot in safe mode: wants to activate & shuts down

Boot in normal mode: asks to activate, shows the wallpaper & sits there forever - this particular machine I just left running overnight to see what it would do and its still sitting there with the wallpaper & still no activation window or desktop.

This an OEM XP Home w/SP3 installed.
    Came on an EMachine
    In this case it seems the repair did more damage than it fixed.

So what can be done to rectify this situation?
    2009年5月29日 14:41
  • Datago,

Currently it appears there are other problems "non-WGA related" which may be causing the problems. There is one option that comes to mind. Should he have two computers he could remove the hard drive and slave it to another system and attempt to access his data this way. Then he could simply pull the data off and push to his other drive. All that would be required is put the drive back in the original system and simply wipe and reinstall. 

I suggest posting your question to the “Discussions in Windows XP General” or the “Discussions in Windows XP Newsgroups” here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general&lang=en&cr=US

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx

Take care and thank you

Stephen

2009年5月29日 16:36
  • Hey mate I had this same problem today with a customers computer after doing a Windows repair on it, I found this on a forum somewhere after doing a lot of googling basically it just resets the activation timer then once you are in Windows again you can activate it again here are the steps.

Reseting the Activation Trial:
    ------------------------------
    In this example: Your activation period has expired, (past 30 days) and you need to get to Normal mode again.

1. Turn On your PC

2. Press F8 repeatedly and go to Safe Mode

3. Logon as per normal
    (note: Administrator password is usually blank, but hopefully you know your password)

4. Allow the Desktop to fully load (answering "Yes" to continue into Safe Mode)
    (note: This is just a long way of saying go to Safe Mode)

5. Click on Start - Run

(note: one space, after "rundll32.exe " also the Oo are two letter o's in "oobe"; capitals and comma are important)

7. Wait a couple of seconds (although you will Not see any change)

8. Restart your PC normally (Start - Shutdown - Restart - Ok)

9. You are now able to go to Normal Mode again (For another 30 days !!!)

10. Do whatever you like, you're back to Normal.

This fixed it for me but took me a long time to find this and get it going, hopefully it works for you to. 
    2009年9月19日 3:02
  • Fracture, that worked perfect for me.

I had just done am XP Pro Sp3 repair install and found that I got this message "must activate to logon", but when I clicked OK the screen remained blank.

I couldn't start into normal safe mode, but I could get into safe mode with command prompt. I typed the command listed above into the command prompt, restarted, and it works fine now.

Thanks alot for the tip.

2009年11月26日 5:51
  • Thank you, it worked great!
    goffy59
    2010年1月8日 21:13
  • Just a Quick note to say, Thank you very much, .... I had spent a few hours trying to resove this issue without success, repired the O.S twice.
    this worked right away and now am able to log on to setup drivers etc. Thanks Again,
    Why doesn't Microsoft tell you how to fix these issues when you have them????????????  
    2010年1月11日 10:31
  • I was facing exactly the same issue after doing a repair install.

Using the instructions of fracture I was again able to login, however I was still not able to activate.
    I turned out that IE was the problem. Before doing the repair install IE8 was installed and the repair somehow corrupted the installation.
    So it was not possible to start IE and also not the activation dialogue (which needs IE in the back).
    So I had to perform first a fresh install of IE8, afterwards it was possible to activate.
    I assume this was also the problem why activation did not initially.
    • 已提議為解答 Neigh Glor 2010年2月16日 18:47
    2010年1月18日 11:05
  • Good day!

I have been facing more or less the same problems as the other ones in this thread.
    My computer was running fine in the morning, but when I got back fm work, it was just loop-rebooting.
    The night before I got some spy-ad-ware/virus infection, so I had to some cleaning etc.
    And it seemed I was rid of the problems. But this loop-rebooting into a BSOD - which lasted only 0,3 seconds and made
    it impossible to read (now I know how to disable auto-reboot) made me worry about the content on the HDD.

So, in fear of losing settings, cherished family photos and other important documents, I removed the C: drive,
    put it in another pc with XP OS and copied the whole master disk as backup. The file system and disk seemed ok there.
    So copying went fine.

Then I put it back in to my computer, tried to boot fm XP CD (I'm no wizz, so I fiddled around with different CHKDSK, repairing,
    Googling etc.) I ended up going into recovery panel, did a restore point to an earlier date. FIXBOOT and I could at least
    start in Safe Mode.. Everything looked normal, so I tried in normal mode, but then I suddenly got the msg 0x80090019 error.

I know my XP version is genuine. Would it make a difference if I put in the wrong XP CD during my efforts in repairing?
    At home I have 3 different (all original and paid for) versions - (1 for my home pc, 1 for my laptop and 1 for an office pc)

I d/l the diagnostic program and here is the result. Hope someone can tell me where to go fm here, and what to do.
    My skills are limited and I need some help.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YP9T2-3G67R-CJ4B8
    Windows Product Key Hash: y7ipUehDLSHsGKv3ZDcy3QxdYQg=
    Windows Product ID: 76440-OEM-2256992-99211
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {2AE6B779-0903-4859-9E8F-B05E13923ADA}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: FCEE394C-429-80040154_025D1FF3-344-80040154_025D1FF3-229-80040154_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 101 Not Activated
    Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003 - 101 Not Activated
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-429-80040154_025D1FF3-344-80040154_025D1FF3-229-80040154_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3_3E121E02-422-80004005_3E121E02-300-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings:
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Programfiler\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{2AE6B779-0903-4859-9E8F-B05E13923ADA}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-CJ4B8</PKey><PID>76440-OEM-2256992-99211</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-746137067-1644491937-725345543</SID><SYSTEM/><BIOS/><HWID>BC0330770184EB6C</HWID><UserLCID>0414</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0414</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Vest-Europa (normaltid)(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91CA0414-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>34AD648B32D3772</Val><Hash>C19G8DdHoxC1Zjt8++8UaAIkuY4=</Hash><Pid>73412-OEM-5695395-16785</Pid><PidType>5</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="101"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="101"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="101"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="101"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="101"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 14880:ASUSTeK Computer Inc|16522:GENUINE C&C INC|18B10:Sharp Corp,
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Brgds

2010年1月22日 15:14
  • Good day!

I have been facing more or less the same problems as the other ones in this thread.
    My computer was running fine in the morning, but when I got back fm work, it was just loop-rebooting.
    The night before I got some spy-ad-ware/virus infection, so I had to some cleaning etc.
    And it seemed I was rid of the problems. But this loop-rebooting into a BSOD - which lasted only 0,3 seconds and made
    it impossible to read (now I know how to disable auto-reboot) made me worry about the content on the HDD.

So, in fear of losing settings, cherished family photos and other important documents, I removed the C: drive,
    put it in another pc with XP OS and copied the whole master disk as backup. The file system and disk seemed ok there.
    So copying went fine.

Then I put it back in to my computer, tried to boot fm XP CD (I'm no wizz, so I fiddled around with different CHKDSK, repairing,
    Googling etc.) I ended up going into recovery panel, did a restore point to an earlier date. FIXBOOT and I could at least
    start in Safe Mode.. Everything looked normal, so I tried in normal mode, but then I suddenly got the msg 0x80090019 error.

I know my XP version is genuine. Would it make a difference if I put in the wrong XP CD during my efforts in repairing?
    At home I have 3 different (all original and paid for) versions - (1 for my home pc, 1 for my laptop and 1 for an office pc)

I d/l the diagnostic program and here is the result. Hope someone can tell me where to go fm here, and what to do.
    My skills are limited and I need some help.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Not Activated
    Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-YP9T2-3G67R-CJ4B8
    Windows Product Key Hash: y7ipUehDLSHsGKv3ZDcy3QxdYQg=
    Windows Product ID: 76440-OEM-2256992-99211
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {2AE6B779-0903-4859-9E8F-B05E13923ADA}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: FCEE394C-429-80040154_025D1FF3-344-80040154_025D1FF3-229-80040154_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 1
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 101 Not Activated
    Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003 - 101 Not Activated
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-429-80040154_025D1FF3-344-80040154_025D1FF3-229-80040154_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3_3E121E02-422-80004005_3E121E02-300-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings:
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Programfiler\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{2AE6B779-0903-4859-9E8F-B05E13923ADA}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-CJ4B8</PKey><PID>76440-OEM-2256992-99211</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-746137067-1644491937-725345543</SID><SYSTEM/><BIOS/><HWID>BC0330770184EB6C</HWID><UserLCID>0414</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0414</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Vest-Europa (normaltid)(GMT+01:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91CA0414-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>34AD648B32D3772</Val><Hash>C19G8DdHoxC1Zjt8++8UaAIkuY4=</Hash><Pid>73412-OEM-5695395-16785</Pid><PidType>5</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="101"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="101"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="101"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="101"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="101"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 14880:ASUSTeK Computer Inc|16522:GENUINE C&C INC|18B10:Sharp Corp,
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Brgds

2010年1月22日 15:15
  • I had this same problem.  Virus led to repair which led to broken activation.  I reinstalled IE8 in Safe Mode and now activation works.  I didn't try and command line code listed above, but I imagine it works too.
    • 已提議為解答 Neigh Glor 2010年2月16日 18:48
    2010年2月16日 18:48
  • Fracture:
    Thanks for posting the command - worked perfectly!
    -sc456a
    2010年2月21日 5:30
  • Thanks so much for this, I knew a repair broke IE, but this is the first time I've run across this.
    2010年3月17日 21:05
  • I had the exact same problem.

After doing a repair install of xp home oem sp3, I could not log into windows until I reactavated.  The problem was, the reactivation dialog box would not appear, all I got was the picture of my desktop with no option to do anything.

This was the solution that worked for me:

1.  Restart computer, press F8, choose SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT.

2.  This allowed me to login to command prompt.

3.  At command prompt - type taskmgr, this will bring up task manager.

4.  In task manager click on File -> New Task (run)

5.  Now I had a run dialog box that would allow me to follow fractures instructions

This worked for me.

2010年5月18日 15:58
  •  

ALRIGHT i dont remember where i found this i think the key is hidden somewhere in this thread or one like it on this same site, but the problem is the wga relies on IE, when u do a repair install on a sys with IE8 it down grades it to ie6, this action actualy breaks IE all together,

what you need to do is

1. boot into safe mode with command prompt
    2. run explorer
    3. copy the ie 8 installer from your flashdrive to the desktop
    4. run the installer.
    5. after the reset the sys should come up and the activation problem will be non existant because it will activate automatically

IM A TECH TOO AND THIS WAS A CUSTOMERS COMPUTER, I WAS ABLE TO FIX IT ALL :-)

• 已編輯 ljohnso16 2010年6月14日 19:41 added me bragging :-)
    2010年6月14日 19:40
  • Fracture, you are a game saver!!! Thanks bud
    2010年7月15日 18:50
  • SOMEONE HELP PLZ !!!what iv done is try to upgrate 

to windows vista on an HP after deleting everything using heriens boot cd because

the computer was extremely slow and when i tried to install vista got the black screen saying:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problems:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next".
    3. Click Repair your computer.

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

2010年8月19日 16:54
  • Hello xterminal0,

For better responses, you really should ask here:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx#tab=1

Good luck! :-)

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    2010年8月19日 17:03
  • Thanx Dan ...
    2010年8月19日 17:26
  • Thanks for all the replies to this thread. After an upgrade from XP Home to Pro SP3 the activation wizard would not run. Having read this page I simply re-installed IE8, without going into Safe Mode, and restarted the PC. The activation wizard then worked.
    2010年9月9日 10:01
  • That was EXACTLY it!!!! I've had this problem several times in the past: Repair XP but activation won't open at all. Until today, I've always just reinstalled without the Repair. NOW I know how to fix it without making the customer start over.

Thanks, guys! This is going on my cheatsheet.

Don Hancock

2010年9月10日 15:39
  • Thank's Mate.It really worked!!! you saved me millions of hours...
    2010年9月13日 14:59
  • Thanks, Fracture.  The ThinkPoint scam damages the system and requires repair reinstallation, but leaves this activation problem.  After getting the 30 days, it may be necessary to correct the Windows product keys- mine were changed in this process.  I went online at Microsoft.com and found a utility to change/correct the keys.
    Computer Tech
    2010年11月2日 21:37
  • Anyone else who's having this issue and further can't get into safe mode with command prompt, here's what I had to do.  I went into recovery console using the windows CD.  Browsed to c:\windows\system32 and renamed sethc.exe sethc.exe1 then copied cmd.exe to sethce.exe.  Then, when prompted to activate hit shift 5 times and it'll run the cmd.exe.  That will allow you to run the other commands that you need to run to get this working.

-Randy, 
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP

• 已編輯 RandyBN 2010年12月3日 19:34
    2010年12月3日 18:50
  • "RandyBN" wrote in message news:b03f9ada-9ba8-4746-82fc-fb1ed9261e6e...

Anyone else who's having this issue and further can't get into safe mode with command prompt, here's what I had to do.  I went into recovery console using the windows CD.  Browsed to c:\windows\system32.exe and renamed sethc.exe sethc.exe1 then copied cmd.exe to sethce.exe.  Then, when prompted to activate hit shift 5 times and it'll run the cmd.exe.  That will allow you to run the other commands that you need to run to get this working.

-Randy, 
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP

WTF are you talking about?
    Hitting the Shift key will have no effect whatever on the processes at this point.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    2010年12月3日 19:11
    版主
  • Replying to the second comment...i cant get into safe mode because my keyboard doesnt work for the time i can choose. It works before and after that but i cant get into safe mode...i still get the activate question that i click yes to but nothings happens...just desktop picture...
    2010年12月5日 1:47
  • "hieverybody" wrote in message news:01aa8ebc-a779-4483-bb93-7fbf9a060cc7...
    Replying to the second comment...i cant get into safe mode because my keyboard doesnt work for the time i can choose. It works before and after that but i cant get into safe mode...i still get the activate question that i click yes to but nothings happens...just desktop picture...

Once the desktop comes up, what happens if you hit Ctrl+Alt+Del ?
    You should be offered the Task Manager.
    If so, then try clicking on File>New Task...
    type
    EXPLORER .EXE
    and click OK
    What happens then?

--

2010年12月5日 15:18
    版主
  • Thanks, Fracture.  The ThinkPoint scam damages the system and requires repair reinstallation, but leaves this activation problem.  After getting the 30 days, it may be necessary to correct the Windows product keys- mine were changed in this process.  I went online at Microsoft.com and found a utility to change/correct the keys.
    Computer Tech

Hi., i did what Fracture said and had my computer back ang running but with only a 30 days trial, and I can't seem to activate the windows online.  I have a product key with me, but I am not sure if that is for the right Windows XP. Do we have to enter the original product key from the original windows xp that was first installed in the computer or a new product key would work fine?

@Xartax what utility is it that correct your keys?

Thanks

2011年1月5日 22:38
  • "d18thangel" wrote in message news:ab21ec55-6c8b-442e-bea0-aa30bcaa1f30...

@Xartax what utility is it that correct your keys?

Thanks

--

2011年1月5日 22:59
    版主
  • Yes, everybody should ALSO follow the advise to download IE8 and install it in Safe Mode.

I had the windows activation issue too, where activation would not start... blank screen... etc.  exactly as stated above.

I had to install IE8 before the activation dialog would come up.   One installed ... it comes up.   Activation completes... and all is normal with the world again.

Thanks for the PRECISE info from this forum.

-K

2011年1月12日 7:27
  • Top tip when you need to sort out a legitimate pc THANK YOU PULLED ME OUT OF A HOLE
    2011年1月27日 9:44