Migrate to WHS 2011 from WHS 2003

問題

• Hello,

I currently have a whs 2003 with 4 2TB drives in them.  I have about 2.5 TB worth of stuff on there with folder duplication turned on for protection.  I am familiar with how to move from one whs 2003 to another whs 2003 but with the removal of drive extender i need guidance on how to best migrate my data over to a whs 2011 and also provide file protection.  What is the best way for me to move my files over but also have a backup of the files like what folder duplication provided.

Thanks

If this was helpful, please mark as answered
    Blog: AttachedWPF
    AttachedWPF
    2011年4月6日 上午 11:59

所有回覆

• The way I am doing it is to rebuild my 2011 RC server to full WHS2011 and copy data from my WHS1 Server. Once everything is working and I am happy, I will then probably retire my WHS1 server as it has served its time so to speak (reusing any appropriate hardware including HDDs).
    2011年4月6日 下午 12:38
  • Well the problem is i need to re-use the hard drives i have, the last time i had to rebuild my whs i had to buy an extra drive to start off with and then moved the drives back in one by one.  Also there is so much data that I would like to move it locally on the same computer but maybe i just have to build a separate machine and move it over the network.  Actually this wont work because i cant move all 2.5 tb of my data over without buying all new hard drives which i dont want to do and i dont know which drives the files are on so i cant move some files and then move the drive over.

Also how am i now supposed to protect my files now that folder duplication is gone?

AttachedWPF
    2011年4月6日 下午 12:56
  • One new 3TB into your new server, copy the data over and then reuse the old drives in the new server? I agree your data will be at risk during this process as it will only be on a single drive. WHS2011 backup (via the Dashboard) can ony back up 2TB at a time onto a single disk. There has been much debate here over this whole problem since DE was dropped.
    2011年4月6日 下午 01:20
  • the best way to migrate is to put your data out of the WHS storage pool.

As you have 4x2TB Drives with approx 2.5TB of Data it will be easy .. but it'll take time to do.

1. Move some drives out the storage pool (maybe the longest to do)

2. Move your data from the storage pool to the "single" HDD

3. When you're done; you can start to install WHS 2011 and after that manage your data/share from WHS2011

WHS 2011 use regular NTFS disk, so once you move out the storage pool avec Drive Extender V1 there's nothing more to do.

2011年4月6日 下午 02:38
  • Agreed that will work but moving data out of the storage pool means it is no longer backed up during that process.
    2011年4月6日 下午 03:00
  • Indeed, there's a time when there's no duplicated files. You can keed duplication if you have enough space to copy (instead of moving them) data while you keep them in the storage pool.  Then you'll have 1 copy into the pool and one on a regular NTFS drive. So you can installe WHS 2011.
    2011年4月6日 下午 04:36
  • Yeah i guess i really dont have much options. I am going to have to buy at least one more drive and also risk having my files not backed up during the migration process.  Still dont understand why they took drive extender away...
    AttachedWPF
    2011年4月6日 下午 06:35