none
WHS Connector will not install on XP Pro computer, WHS Connector Failed to start

Question

• I am trying to install the connector software and it gets to the point in the installation when the WHS Connector sevice is supposed to start and stops there. It displays this error: "Service 'Windows Home Server Connector Service' (WHSConnector) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start the system services." Well I am the admin on that system so should have, this is XP. When I go into the services and try to start it myself I get this error: "Could not start the 'Windows Home Server Connector Service service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.  I have check and I am running .net, I have enalbed and started terminal services, I have checked to make sure the Volume Shadow Copy is enabled and set to manual.  I have also disabled firewall and antivirus software to try and get this installed. I am at a loss at this point. Any help would certainly save the rest of my hair.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 1:50 AM

All replies

• I am trying to install the connector software and it gets to the point in the installation when the WHS Connector sevice is supposed to start and stops there. It displays this error: "Service 'Windows Home Server Connector Service' (WHSConnector) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start the system services." Well I am the admin on that system so should have, this is XP. When I go into the services and try to start it myself I get this error: "Could not start the 'Windows Home Server Connector Service service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.  I have check and I am running .net, I have enalbed and started terminal services, I have checked to make sure the Volume Shadow Copy is enabled and set to manual.  I have also disabled firewall and antivirus software to try and get this installed. I am at a loss at this point. Any help would certainly save the rest of my hair.
    Did you check to see if the services/components that the WHS Connector service depends on are running?
    Friday, August 13, 2010 3:37 AM
  • Did you check to see if the services/components that the WHS Connector service depends on are running?
    Well I checked the ones that I thought it was. That being, I have check and I am running .net , I have enabled and started terminal services , I have checked to make sure the Volume Shadow Copy is enabled and set to manual. Which other services/components should I check?
    Friday, August 13, 2010 7:21 AM
  • Two things:  (1) I'm having the same problem - I'm wondering if there's a list of standard and extended services and their required/recommended status and startup states.  (2) I noted that on my system - IIS Admin Service was stopped - and i could not start it manually.  Suggestions?

Btw - To get to Component Services - you can use the Remote Desktop Connection from your local computer.  You need to logon as the Administrator for your WHS.  Close to warning that says you can get to everything through the WHS client, then its:  All Programs > Administrative Tools > Component Services

Thanks - m

Friday, August 13, 2010 11:39 AM
  • Well I checked the ones that I thought it was. That being, I have check and I am running .net , I have enabled and started terminal services , I have checked to make sure the Volume Shadow Copy is enabled and set to manual. Which other services/components should I check?
    You can find the dependencies list by going to the tab that says "Dependencies" on the WHS Connector Service.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Well I checked the ones that I thought it was. That being, I have check and I am running .net , I have enabled and started terminal services , I have checked to make sure the Volume Shadow Copy is enabled and set to manual. Which other services/components should I check?
    You can find the dependencies list by going to the tab that says "Dependencies" on the WHS Connector Service.

I tried that and when I select the tab I get an error "Wim32: The service cannot be started/ either because it is disabled or because it has no devices associated with it." I get past that and look at the tab and it has nothing listed.
    Friday, August 13, 2010 6:21 PM