none
MCSE Students learn Windows Server 2003, an evaluation copy can be downloaded from MS. How does a Student get a Registration Key to activate the trial copy?

Question

• MCSE Students learn Windows Server 2003

An evaluation copy can be downloaded from Microsoft (link below)

http://w w w.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/r2/trial/installinstruct.mspx?lc=1033

To activate the TRIAL copy of the software, you need a Product Activation Key.

My Question is:

How does a Student get a Registration Key to activate the TRIAL copy?

---------------------

I've gone round in circles and spent about an hour with the phone support, and got nothing but try this phone number, until I started getting the same phone number I started with.

I know you can download a trial copy of 2008 Server, but that won't be of use to me until I study for my MCITP or MCSE 2008 Upgrade.

Right now I just need a working trial copy of Windows Server 2003, for a couple of months until I pass my 7 exams.

Right now I have 14 days to activate a trial copy, and for that I need a CD KEY.

All links point to 2008, all my coursework points to 2003...

Please can someone advise me and the millions of other MCSE students what we need to do, before we find ourselves out of luck (and pocket, these courses are not cheap!) and end up taking the dark path to being activated.

Thank you.

Friday, June 11, 2010 1:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Thurstan

Evaluation copies of Windows 2003 don't use Activation Key. They expire after 180 days.

Please verify: Windows 2003 Server evaluation copy expiration behavior: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818025

Alfredo Arizaleta

Just begining
    Friday, June 11, 2010 10:27 PM
  • Dear Alfredo,

Probably best if I detail the steps I took.

I installed the software, it asked me for a PRODUCT KEY, I don't have one and this is what I need, or at least a trial version code.

I pressed NEXT, and completed the installation.

The background image states that this is an evaluation copy; good.

In the ICON TRAY sits the ACTIVATE product icon, an this states I have 14 days to activate the product.

To activate, I still need a trial product key...; not so good.

It may well be that my enquiry highlights an oversight by Microsoft when they discontinued 2003 hyperlinks in favour of 2008, forgetting that their students of MCSE still need 2003 to practice on.

I do hope this clarifies the matter at hand, and that we can find a solution together.

I really do...

Saturday, June 12, 2010 11:09 PM
  • Hello Thurstan,

Alfredo is right. Trial versions will work fine within the given time period.

Normally if you don't activate your product, a warning will remind you that your copy is not a genuiene installation. And some functions will not be used after you passed the activation period. I'm not sure this is the case for trials.

Did you try to activate your copy?

Any way, Microsoft let's the completion of product installation without a product key now on. You can install Windows 7 for instance without a product key. They explain this to support product trials by community before they purchase their products. Unfortunately MS Office 2010 blocks installation without a key.

Windows 7 Activation
    Free Windows 7 Trial Download
    Our true mentor in life is science
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Thurstan

Evaluation copies of Windows 2003 don't use Activation Key. They expire after 180 days.

Please verify: Windows 2003 Server evaluation copy expiration behavior: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818025

Alfredo Arizaleta

Just begining
    Friday, June 11, 2010 10:27 PM
  • Dear Alfredo,

Probably best if I detail the steps I took.

I installed the software, it asked me for a PRODUCT KEY, I don't have one and this is what I need, or at least a trial version code.

I pressed NEXT, and completed the installation.

The background image states that this is an evaluation copy; good.

In the ICON TRAY sits the ACTIVATE product icon, an this states I have 14 days to activate the product.

To activate, I still need a trial product key...; not so good.

It may well be that my enquiry highlights an oversight by Microsoft when they discontinued 2003 hyperlinks in favour of 2008, forgetting that their students of MCSE still need 2003 to practice on.

I do hope this clarifies the matter at hand, and that we can find a solution together.

I really do...

Saturday, June 12, 2010 11:09 PM
  • Hi Thrustan,

Thanks for your answer. Please, do me favor. I haven't done that installation on many years. Kind of 6 years, but it worked for me. First, as you point out, you have the evaluation copy installed. Second you're in the 14 days normally required to activate the product. That's the normal behavior. But after those 14 days you'll begin the 166 days left of evaluation (180 days total). The time bomb will work at days 180 and over. The 14 days period are the time frame required to activate the product.

I include the End User License Agreement (part of it) Microsoft Windows Server 2003 EULA (http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/6/8/a6892eb9-f6cc-4d2b-a532-c73cf048864f/Windows%20Server%202003%20SP1%20EVAL%20EULA.doc).

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Tahoma; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520082689 -1073717157 41 0 66047 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Book Antiqua"; panose-1:2 4 6 2 5 3 5 3 3 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.body2, li.body2, div.body2 {mso-style-name:"body 2"; mso-style-unhide:no; margin-top:6.0pt; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:0in; margin-left:27.4pt; margin-bottom:.0001pt; text-indent:-13.7pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Book Antiqua","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page WordSection1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:70.85pt 85.05pt 70.85pt 85.05pt; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

c.   Mandatory Activation .  To reduce software piracy, Microsoft requires the Server Software to be activated.  Activation of your copy of the Software in the manner described during its setup sequence is required; otherwise, the license rights granted under this EULA are limited to the first fourteen (14) days after you first install the Software.   You may activate the Software through the use of the Internet or telephone; toll charges may apply.  You may also need to reactivate the Software if you modify your computer hardware or alter the Software.  If you choose Internet activation, the Software will contact Microsoft computer systems over the Internet to conduct an authentication process to confirm that you have a licensed copy of the Software.  During the authentication process, the Software will send information including standard Internet protocol information (which is not stored by Microsoft), product ID and an installation ID based on a hardware hash generated from your Server.  This information will not be used to identify or contact you.  You agree to allow the Software to conduct this authentication process.   If you have an unlicensed copy of the Software, you are not allowed to install the Software or future Software updates.  Additional information about activation is available online at the Microsoft support site.  If, after you install the Software, you install Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition with Service Pack 1 or Enterprise Edition with Service Pack 1 (“Windows Server”), as an upgrade to the Software rather than as a clean install, you will not have 30 days to activate Windows Server, and you may have to activate Windows Server immediately after its installation in order to use Windows Server. 

d.              Limited License; Time Sensitive Software .  YOUR RIGHT TO USE THE SOFTWARE IS EFFECTIVE FROM THE DATE YOU FIRST INSTALL THE SOFTWARE ON ANY SERVER FOR A PERIOD OF ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY (180) DAYS.  THE SOFTWARE IS TIME-SENSITIVE AND WILL NOT FUNCTION UPON EXPIRATION OF THE 180-DAY PERIOD.  NOTICE OF EXPIRATION WILL NOT BE GIVEN, SO YOU NEED TO PLAN FOR THE EXPIRATION DATE AND MAKE A COPY OF AND REMOVE YOUR IMPORTANT DATA BEFORE THE EXPIRATION DATE.

The favor is to wait till the end of that 14 days expiration and comment back the behavior to this post.  According to d. paragraph, it'll work.

Keep me posted,

Alfredo Arizaleta

Just begining
    Monday, June 14, 2010 11:27 PM
  • Hello Thurstan,

Alfredo is right. Trial versions will work fine within the given time period.

Normally if you don't activate your product, a warning will remind you that your copy is not a genuiene installation. And some functions will not be used after you passed the activation period. I'm not sure this is the case for trials.

Did you try to activate your copy?

Any way, Microsoft let's the completion of product installation without a product key now on. You can install Windows 7 for instance without a product key. They explain this to support product trials by community before they purchase their products. Unfortunately MS Office 2010 blocks installation without a key.

Windows 7 Activation
    Free Windows 7 Trial Download
    Our true mentor in life is science
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:24 AM