none
"The device, \Device\Harddisk1, has a bad block" reported in Windows event viewer

Question

• I have been struggling with this for several months. When this start happening, WHS will lock up for few seconds and in that period I can't do anything with the server. When it happens it occurs once every seconds which I can see in the system event log. However WHS doesn't erport any HD failure in WHS cosole.

Several month ago, when this started happening, I had two 1TG HDD connected to the SATA port on the mobo. I then removed the HDD which is labeled as \Device\Harddisk1 found in the Device Manager. I check the HDD using many disk diagnostic tools and couldn't found any problem. So I put the same disk into a external HDD encloure which is used by WHS. By the way, the external enclosure is connected to the PC using external SATA cable via a SATA duplixier.

Now, I had one HDD connected to the mobo which is labled as \Device\Harddisk1. After several days the same error message came back in the event viewer again. So I removed that disk again and put it into external enclosure.

Now, there is no HDD connected to mobo except the system disk which is a 100GB 2.5" SATA disk. All disks used for data pool are in the external enclosure. The system was working well for about two months and from several days ago, the symptom start occuring again. It happens several hundreds times now every day. Remember the disk labeled by the system as \Device\Harddisk1 is now in the external enclosure.

Any suggestion for investigating this issue?
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 9:57 PM

Answers

• I have been struggling with this for several months. When this start happening, WHS will lock up for few seconds and in that period I can't do anything with the server. When it happens it occurs once every seconds which I can see in the system event log. However WHS doesn't erport any HD failure in WHS cosole.

Several month ago, when this started happening, I had two 1TG HDD connected to the SATA port on the mobo. I then removed the HDD which is labeled as \Device\Harddisk1 found in the Device Manager. I check the HDD using many disk diagnostic tools and couldn't found any problem. So I put the same disk into a external HDD encloure which is used by WHS. By the way, the external enclosure is connected to the PC using external SATA cable via a SATA duplixier.

Now, I had one HDD connected to the mobo which is labled as \Device\Harddisk1. After several days the same error message came back in the event viewer again. So I removed that disk again and put it into external enclosure.

Now, there is no HDD connected to mobo except the system disk which is a 100GB 2.5" SATA disk. All disks used for data pool are in the external enclosure. The system was working well for about two months and from several days ago, the symptom start occuring again. It happens several hundreds times now every day. Remember the disk labeled by the system as \Device\Harddisk1 is now in the external enclosure.

Try running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:55 PM
  • I did run chkdsk to the disks which was reported having bad sector after I removed those from the WHS data pool and couldn't find any issue. I also questioned the onboard STAT port. Hoewever I have no disks connected to the onboard SATA port and all disks used as device pool are in the external enclosure. The 'Bad block' message is still recorded in the system event viewer. 
    Did you run chkdsk /r on each drive in the server by following the link I posted (or did you just do certain ones)?
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:34 AM

All replies

• Concerning When connected the the sata port/// I have had this issue more than once and both times it was due to a faulty controller on the motherboard.  Abit junk each time.
    On one board I had bad sectors / blocks all the time. I would clone the drive run chkdsk and the new drive would be fixed and working fine for about a 3 days to a week or two then get the bad block / sector problem again. When I pitched the board and installed a new Asus board all was fine.
    If you run check disk with the drive in an external box does it report any errors?
    Have you formatted and tested the drives either internal or external on another computer?
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:48 PM

Try running chkdsk /r on each drive in your server.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 11:55 PM
  • I did run chkdsk to the disks which was reported having bad sector after I removed those from the WHS data pool and couldn't find any issue. I also questioned the onboard STAT port. Hoewever I have no disks connected to the onboard SATA port and all disks used as device pool are in the external enclosure. The 'Bad block' message is still recorded in the system event viewer. 
    Monday, January 11, 2010 1:51 AM
    Did you run chkdsk /r on each drive in the server by following the link I posted (or did you just do certain ones)?
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:34 AM
  • I didn't run chkdsk /r on all disks. I all find a day to run that and report the result here. Thanks!
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:39 AM
  • I ran chkdsk /r on all disks today and nothing was found. By the way, which disk is \device\harddisk1? It we follow the device sequence reported by Device Manager, it is the first disk in the external HDD enclosure in my configuration.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 9:13 AM
  • I ran chkdsk /r on all disks today and nothing was found.

After it was done running, did you check the Application logs in the Event Viewer to make sure it didn't find anything?

By the way, which disk is \device\harddisk1? It we follow the device sequence reported by Device Manager, it is the first disk in the external HDD enclosure in my configuration.
    I wouldn't rely on that information matching.  The best way to identify drives is to use the Disk Management add-in.  It allows you to create a wireframe image of your server and map the drives there and it should also show you the serial number of each drive.
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 4:49 PM
  • After it was done running, did you check the Application logs in the Event Viewer to make sure it didn't find anything?

This is correct. Nothing is found in the Application log. Everything seems to be fine despite that the error message Question"The device, \Device\Harddisk1, has a bad block" is recorded in system log during the run.

I wouldn't rely on that information matching.  The best way to identify drives is to use the Disk Management add-in.  It allows you to create a wireframe image of your server and map the drives there and it should also show you the serial number of each drive.

I am using the Disk Management add-in and the order of the disk shown on the screen (disk0 to disk11 in my configuration) matches the order the device manager reports the hard disks (\Device\harddisk0 to \device\harddisk11)
    Sunday, January 17, 2010 7:07 PM
  • Some update. It has been three days since 1/17 and the error hasn't happened again. I will continue to monitor it.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:44 AM
  • I finally found that \device\harddisl1 indicated in the system event log is the external HDD I am using. The external HDD is disk 12 in Disk Management and I have no idea why system event log calls it \device\harddisk1.

The external HDD is not in WHS device pool and that is why WHS doesn't indicate any failure. However this do impact the WHS performance when playing BD movies on a Windows client. The picture shutters when this happens.

I am runnign chkdsk against the external HDD and tons of bad sector are reported. I am glad that I found this.
    Friday, February 26, 2010 2:50 AM