A Simple Mic Mute Script RRS feed

• General discussion

• Team- I'm not a scripter!  But I have a need to implement a script to mute a computer mic very quickly with a single key.  The script I've found looks like this:

#z::
    soundget, isMute, MICROPHONE, MUTE
    if isMute = Off
        toMute = 1
    else
        toMute=0
    SoundSet, toMute, MICROPHONE, MUTE
    return

I suppose that might work- but I don't know how to implement it.  I tried putting the above script in a .vbs on Windows 7x64 but I get a line 1 character 1 error when I run it from the command line.  I'm sure I'm missing something.  Once I get the script correct I can figure out how to hotkey it from there- any advice?  Is there another, better way?

Tech Manager

• Changed type Bill_Stewart Thursday, September 8, 2016 3:29 AM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Thursday, September 8, 2016 3:29 AM Off-topic/this is not "scripts on demand"
    Saturday, August 20, 2016 3:34 AM

All replies

• Please post end user issues here http://answers.microsoft.com

This is not a support forum or a forum for free help with you Windows box.  It is a forum for technicians who have questions about scripts they are writing.

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, August 20, 2016 3:47 PM
  • Please post end user issues here http://answers.microsoft.com

This is not a support forum or a forum for free help with you Windows box.  It is a forum for technicians who have questions about scripts they are writing.

\_(ツ)_/

Uh, how do you think I got here?  From that link.
    If you have nothing to offer, just go back to your hole.  This is not your forum, you don't own it, and you don't decide whether or not I can post here.  Believe it or not, some people might even decide to be helpful and point me in the right direction.  If that's not your thing, then leave it alone.

• Edited by Smohr Saturday, August 20, 2016 8:18 PM
    Saturday, August 20, 2016 8:00 PM
  • Unfortunately you don't have a script or a scrip question.   Being obnoxious, childish and abusive will not help.  The forum is for technicians and not for people who are not scripters and not for questions about non-Microsoft utilities.

Please reframe from abusive posts.

If you want help then you will need to find a forum for your utility program.  "soundget/soundset" are not  Microsoft programs and are not scripts.

The utilities are part of a third party package called "AutoHotKey".  The documentation is here: https://autohotkey.com/docs/commands/SoundSet.htm

Your question should be posted in this forum: https://autohotkey.com/boards/

We cannot support third party utilities.

If you read the forum information you will see that we do not support questions about scripts found on the Interenet. 

Please review the following forum post: This forum is for scripting questions rather than script requests

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Saturday, August 20, 2016 8:46 PM
    Saturday, August 20, 2016 8:44 PM
  • Unfortunately you don't have a script or a scrip question.   Being obnoxious, childish and abusive will not help.  The forum is for technicians and not for people who are not scripters and not for questions about non-Microsoft utilities.

Please reframe from abusive posts.

If you want help then you will need to find a forum for your utility program.  "soundget/soundset" are not  Microsoft programs and are not scripts.

The utilities are part of a third party package called "AutoHotKey".  The documentation is here: https://autohotkey.com/docs/commands/SoundSet.htm

Your question should be posted in this forum: https://autohotkey.com/boards/

We cannot support third party utilities.

If you read the forum information you will see that we do not support questions about scripts found on the Interenet. 

Please review the following forum post: This forum is for scripting questions rather than script requests

\_(ツ)_/

Now, see- was that so hard?  That I can work with.  I was trying to help a lady who needs help with her computer mic, and this was the closest I had gotten to an answer.  Being curt and terse with your initial response will cause some- those who don't take impoliteness lightly- to respond forcefully.  I checked your other posts- you have a problem with this.  Having said that- thank you for your response.  I can figure it out from there.

Tech Manager

Saturday, August 20, 2016 8:50 PM
  • I believe that looks like a AutoHotkey script. You can ask about AutoHotkey in the AutoHotkey forum. (This isn't the right place to ask AutoHotkey questions.)

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Saturday, August 20, 2016 11:10 PM
  • .  Having said that- thank you for your response.  I can figure it out from there.

Tech Manager

I am glad you have a path to a solution. It seem s the consensus is that you are in the wrong forum. If you have scripting questions then post here. You will find that ambiguous utility questions will leave you feeling dissatisfied in this forums.

Remember that my original response which you chose to argue with was "This is not a support forum or a forum for free help with you Windows box.  It is a forum for technicians who have questions about scripts they are writing"

That has not changed and it was direct and clear.  It is not up to us to bend over and find an answer for your misdirected questions.

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, August 20, 2016 11:27 PM
  • .  Having said that- thank you for your response.  I can figure it out from there.

Tech Manager

I am glad you have a path to a solution. It seem s the consensus is that you are in the wrong forum. If you have scripting questions then post here. You will find that ambiguous utility questions will leave you feeling dissatisfied in this forums.

Remember that my original response which you chose to argue with was "This is not a support forum or a forum for free help with you Windows box.  It is a forum for technicians who have questions about scripts they are writing"

That has not changed and it was direct and clear.  It is not up to us to bend over and find an answer for your misdirected questions.

\_(ツ)_/

I'm in the wrong forum- I know that now.  All you had to do was say "This is an AutoHotKey script- I'm afraid you're in the wrong forum" and that'd have been it.  Your response was typical of the kind of terse, gruff responses you give people.  I checked- that's how you roll.  This time you ran into someone who won't take your snide manner and fired back.  You get away with it because we're corresponding over the internet- you like to be rude online- I get that-  but trust me, had you tried it in person you'd have gotten the same knee-jerk reaction from me- and you'd have stowed your attitude- of that you can be sure.

Tech Manager

• Edited by Smohr Sunday, August 21, 2016 12:04 AM
    Sunday, August 21, 2016 12:04 AM
  • I believe that looks like a AutoHotkey script. You can ask about AutoHotkey in the AutoHotkey forum. (This isn't the right place to ask AutoHotkey questions.)

Thank you sir- I'm checking with that forum group.  Your help is appreciated, and srry for the inconvenience.

Tech Manager

Sunday, August 21, 2016 12:06 AM

Thank you sir- I'm checking with that forum group.  Your help is appreciated, and srry for the inconvenience.

Tech Manager

No problem.  Just try to not get so irritable in forums.  We are here to help but we are not perfect.  Life is like that.  People try but they cannot know your exact temperament or prejudice.  Try understanding that your questions come from a lack of knowledge and when a Saint answers you may not be prepared for the answer.  If I were a Guru things could be more antsy.

\_(ツ)_/

Sunday, August 21, 2016 1:14 AM