Which Microsoft office version I need for Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Do we need to update Microsoft office client as well while upgrading PS 2007 to 2010,  is there any dependency on Microsoft office client for PS 2010.

Please let me know in details.

Thanks !!!

Friday, January 27, 2012 2:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

If your question is about Project Professional, the answer is no. When migrating Project Server 2007 to 2010 you can run the 2010 version in backward compatibility mode (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662496.aspx for further details). This would allow connections from Project Professional 2007 as well as from Project Professional 2010. The server will then deactivate new features, which the old client cannot handle, for example manual scheduled tasks.

For the rest of Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint,...) you can still run the 2007 versions. But of course you'll not the get the new features and enhanced client integrion in SharePoint.

REgards,

Stefan

• Proposed as answer by Stefan Pirer Friday, January 27, 2012 2:14 PM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Thanks Stefan,

Sorry I didn't mention my client version we have most of office client(word, excel) in 2003 only do we need to upgrade them to Office 2007 or 2010.

Or still I can use office 2003?

Thanks !!!

Friday, January 27, 2012 2:23 PM
  • As Stefan mentions you can use Project Professional 2007, but if you don;t have that then you should get Project Professional 2010.  You cannot use Project Professional 2003.  For the other Office applications like Excel and Word, and Visio - you can still use 2003, but will not get the full functionality in some parts of Project and Project Server 2010.  For example Visual Reports in the client, and Excel report authoring on Project Server.

Best regards,

Brian

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Friday, January 27, 2012 5:27 PM
  • Thanks Brian,

That's give me complete explanation on my query.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:47 AM