Bug with Twonky Media? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello peeps!

I Installed my WHS Server about half an hour ago and after having it checked out thoroughly i discovered that the twonky media application is in spanish while everything else is in English (UK)

I'm from sweden and got no problems with the english but spanish feels a bit out of my league, is this a bug or is it so that twonky media only supports spanish (doesn't sound logical at all).

As a side note I wonder were I can find applications that can run services on the WHS, like a ventrilo server!

Best regards /frumpish
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 7:22 PM

Answers

• Kfurter said:

Hi,

you can 'easily' change the language of Twonky Media. You need to logon via the Remote desktop console. Then you need to edit the file c:\twonkymedia\twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini

You will find somewhere "language=xx"

Replace xx with your language code.

Cheers, Kfurter

This will probably not work at least not without reboot or restarting the service. A quick way change the language from spanish to english or another language:

1. Logon using to your server using RDP:
      • On a client PC do Start, Run, Type mstsc.exe and Hit Enter
        • Computername = name of your server (default is hpserver)
        • Username = Administrator
        • Password = the password you use to access the WHS console
    2. On the server then open explorer window.
    3. Browse to C:\TwonkyMedia\resources
    4. Rename the file strings-es.txt to some other name, for example strings-esp.txt
    5. Then rename the file strings-en.txt to strings-es.txt
    6. If you want another language just rename another strings-xx.txt file to strings-es.txt

Monday, September 22, 2008 11:40 PM

All replies

• frumpish said:

Hello peeps!

I Installed my WHS Server about half an hour ago and after having it checked out thoroughly i discovered that the twonky media application is in spanish while everything else is in English (UK)

I'm from sweden and got no problems with the english but spanish feels a bit out of my league, is this a bug or is it so that twonky media only supports spanish (doesn't sound logical at all).

Twonky media doesn't come with Windows Home Server.  Did you purchase your server from an OEM (such as HP or Lacie)?

frumpish said:

As a side note I wonder were I can find applications that can run services on the WHS, like a ventrilo server!

Best regards /frumpish

While you can run apps on the underlying OS (Server 2003), WHS is not designed to be used as a "traditional server".  It's designed to be set up in a corner of your household and quietly do it's job in the background (backing up clients, serving media, etc.)  As a matter of fact, using Remote Desktop to access the server is unsupported (although you can do it).

Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:54 PM
  • frumpish said:

Best regards /frumpish

I have installed ventrilo server onto my WHS and it works great.  All you have to do is to edit some of the INI file.

Name=WHS
    Phonetic=WHS
    Auth=1
    Duplicates=1
    AdminPassword=adminpassword
    Password=password

Then "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\VentSrv\Service" and "Install" and it works, it is limited to 8 users in the chat.

You could also try TeamTalk, see http://wiki.wegotserved.co.uk/Teamspeak_Server_on_Windows_Home_Server on how to install it.  But it has more of a limit of text chat.
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:40 PM
  • hmmm, sry if I'm slow but I don't understand this part:

Then "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\VentSrv\Service" and "Install" and it works, it is limited to 8 users in the chat.

and I assume that name=WHS <--- should be my name of my WHS server, like myWHSserver or such?

I mean, is there an easy way to make ur server run a .exe file 24 / 7 ? or Do i have to install some extra software or is it just not doable?

Because I have to run both ventrilo.exe server file and a no-ip.exe file in order to get my vent up and running due to having a dynamic IP!
    • Edited by frumpish Friday, September 19, 2008 3:36 PM
    Friday, September 19, 2008 3:26 PM
  • Hi,

you can 'easily' change the language of Twonky Media. You need to logon via the Remote desktop console. Then you need to edit the file c:\twonkymedia\twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini

Cheers, Kfurter
    Monday, September 22, 2008 3:47 PM
  • Thanks for the help! Now I'm back to square one though :P I can't access my server with remote desktop :/  I feel an urge for some kind of WHS for dummies :D
    Monday, September 22, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Kfurter said:

Hi,

Cheers, Kfurter

This will probably not work at least not without reboot or restarting the service. A quick way change the language from spanish to english or another language:

1. Logon using to your server using RDP:
      • On a client PC do Start, Run, Type mstsc.exe and Hit Enter
        • Computername = name of your server (default is hpserver)
        • Username = Administrator
        • Password = the password you use to access the WHS console
    2. On the server then open explorer window.
    3. Browse to C:\TwonkyMedia\resources
    4. Rename the file strings-es.txt to some other name, for example strings-esp.txt
    5. Then rename the file strings-en.txt to strings-es.txt
    6. If you want another language just rename another strings-xx.txt file to strings-es.txt

Monday, September 22, 2008 11:40 PM