Remote Desktop Services has taken too long to load the user configuration from server Event ID 20499 RRS feed

• 問題

• I keep getting Event ID 20499 "Remote Desktop Services has taken too long to load the user configuration from server \\SERVERNAME for user USERNAME" in our event logs for multiple servers that are running 2012 R2

I noticed that when this happens the user often is missing items that get applied via group policies such as desktop wallpapers and mapped drives.  

I am also using the Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac that was release yesterday on another Mac computer and for certain users it won't launch the redirected folder that I specified when I get this Event ID 20499

2013年10月19日 上午 05:41

解答

• I am also using the Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac that was release yesterday on another Mac computer and for certain users it won't launch the redirected folder that I specified when I get this Event ID 20499

The above was resolved by changing the folder that was being redirected.

I will make the changes listed in the previous comment and report back.

2013年10月22日 上午 06:08
  • All,

If you are not using any of the RDS configuration data from the user object you may add the following registry value to the RDSH servers:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services\

fQueryUserConfigFromLocalMachine         REG_DWORD          0x00000001

The above should take effect immediately for new logons.

By RDS configuration on the user object I mean things like Remote Desktop Services roaming profile path, RDS home folder, etc.  Enabling this setting may decrease logon time, depending on the environment.

Please note the above registry value is for Server 2012 R2.

Thanks.

-TP

• 已提議為解答 dfs4651 2017年7月22日 下午 05:28
    • 已標示為解答 TP []MVP 2017年10月25日 下午 09:15
    2017年1月17日 下午 12:56
  • Hi,

All your user using Microsoft Remote desktop for Mac, while trying to RDP to Server 2012 R2. Here for your issue providing some workaround, might this helpful.

Refer this thread, which states that you can add a new DWORD (32-bit) Value in registry, name it as “DisableTaskOffload” and set value data to 1 on below mention path.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

Also you can try “Get-NetOffloadGlobalSetting “command, which includes Receive Side Scaling, Receive Segment Coalescing, task offload, and NetworkDirect.

Apart from that refer “Troubleshooting Slow Logons” article.

Hope it helps!
    Thanks.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

2013年10月21日 上午 07:39

所有回覆

• Hi,

All your user using Microsoft Remote desktop for Mac, while trying to RDP to Server 2012 R2. Here for your issue providing some workaround, might this helpful.

Refer this thread, which states that you can add a new DWORD (32-bit) Value in registry, name it as “DisableTaskOffload” and set value data to 1 on below mention path.

Also you can try “Get-NetOffloadGlobalSetting “command, which includes Receive Side Scaling, Receive Segment Coalescing, task offload, and NetworkDirect.

Hope it helps!
    Thanks.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.

2013年10月21日 上午 07:39
  • I am also using the Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac that was release yesterday on another Mac computer and for certain users it won't launch the redirected folder that I specified when I get this Event ID 20499

The above was resolved by changing the folder that was being redirected.

I will make the changes listed in the previous comment and report back.

2013年10月22日 上午 06:08
  • Hi,

How is everything going? Could you please tell us the present situation? If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to respond back.

Thanks.

2013年10月27日 上午 06:38
  • on what machine is the reg key enabled.. I am seeing  an issue that some clients hang starting remote apps and some do not. 

I have 2 computers at my home on the same network and one hangs on starting the remote app and one does not

I do see the event 20499 at times in the logs as well

Remote Desktop Services has taken too long to load the user configuration from server

2013年12月4日 下午 06:31
  • Hi,

Hope it helps!
    Thanks.

Just wondering what an (replace with an expletive here) admin would disable all TCP/IP offloading to resolve a warning about Remote Desktop connection?!
    2014年2月5日 上午 12:20
  • I get this warning on all kind of different servers, all running Windows Server 2012 R2.

It doesn't matter if it is an DC or a member server, if it is physical or virtualized. I get the impression that this either is dependent on the environment or that it is a general 2012 R2 "feature".

The logon process via RDP seems pretty fast and there is nothing to complain about. But everytime somebody connects via RDP I get the warning message. Even when it is just a reconnect.

I tried to set the reg key mentioned above but it didn't help (did not reboot however). Tried it when the connection user is completely free of GPOs.

Any ideas what else I can try?

2014年2月5日 上午 08:01
  • I get this warning on all kind of different servers, all running Windows Server 2012 R2.

It doesn't matter if it is an DC or a member server, if it is physical or virtualized. I get the impression that this either is dependent on the environment or that it is a general 2012 R2 "feature".

The logon process via RDP seems pretty fast and there is nothing to complain about. But everytime somebody connects via RDP I get the warning message. Even when it is just a reconnect.

I tried to set the reg key mentioned above but it didn't help (did not reboot however). Tried it when the connection user is completely free of GPOs.

hi all, I have the exact same issue!
    2014年2月5日 上午 09:49

I am having this same problem has anyone solved it ?

I have tried alot of the things list already and none have solved this problem.

2014年3月12日 下午 08:48

I am having this same problem has anyone solved it ?

I have tried alot of the things list already and none have solved this problem.

Me too. On all 2012 r2 terminal servers in our enviroment.
    2014年3月25日 下午 12:18
  • I'm getting this on all my servers as well. Also I think establishin RDP sessions is taking longer than it should. I have a new 2012R2 domain in its own forrest with all 2012R2 servers and am using RDP for admin only. I have two DC:s running as VM:s

• 已提議為解答 Sjroep 2014年12月5日 上午 08:00
    2014年4月4日 上午 10:17
  • I'm also seeing this on both of our 2012 R2 RDS hosts for our pilot of RDS.

Sergey's comment above, "Just wondering what an (replace with an expletive here) admin would disable all TCP/IP offloading to resolve a warning about Remote Desktop connection?!"

..makes me wonder if that fix is appropriate for this problem.

Is there anyone from the RDS MS team to comment?

Remote Desktop Services has taken too long to load the user configuration from server \\XXXXDC.domain.local for user XXxxxxy

XXXXRDSHOST02 20499 Warning Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-RemoteConnectionManager/Admin

4/4/2014 3:36:18 PM

• 已編輯 Eoin Ryan 2015年4月19日 上午 09:13
    2014年4月4日 下午 04:01
  • I have same problem on my 2012R2 servers too anyone solved it correctly?

PNMANTAK

2014年5月13日 下午 04:28
  • We're also seeing the same Warning on all 6 of our 2012 R2 Session Hosts, with no obvious problems being caused to the users.

I would have to assume (as in so many other cases) that it's just a "feature" of the product which will hopefully be resolved in a future update.

Cheers for now

Russell

2014年5月15日 上午 11:39
  • We have exact the same problem on all 2012 R2 hosts. Client is Windows 8.1. Has anybody solved this problem?
    2014年5月30日 上午 07:52
  • I concur with the skeptical sentiments of others here: there is not enough information in the accepted suggested answer here to be helpful for this issue.

Specifically, the workaround is coming from a SuperUser thread in which the OP is referring to Windows 2012 (not R2 like those of us experiencing the issue) and they explicitly state that they are not receiving any event log warnings, whereas everyone coming to this thread is here because they are seeing warnings in event log.  Moreover, the answer here is marked as an answer by the very user (moderator) who suggested it and without any confirmation from the user who experienced the issue that it was effective.

Still that does mean that it isn't a relevant suggestion, just that it requires more explanation - or at least one user to explicitly confirm that this resolves the issue without any unintended side effects.  Can anyone provide either of those?

• 已編輯 merv_f 2014年7月11日 下午 07:20 improved formatting
    2014年6月17日 上午 11:01
  • I can't confirm any of the suggestions in this thread, but in our case we have moved to Citrix Hosted Shared Desktop with ThinKiosk on 10yr old hardware and we're not looking back.
    2014年6月19日 上午 02:04
  • THIS SHOULD NOT BE MARKED AS ANSWERED
    • 已提議為解答 Holmp_ 2015年9月1日 上午 05:51
    • 已取消提議為解答 Holmp_ 2015年9月1日 上午 05:51
    2014年6月19日 上午 02:06
  • Exact same issue occurring for me: 2012R2 RDS virtualised environment.
    2014年6月24日 上午 03:30
  • Same issue here on several setups.

Also on servers which aren't running RDS - but also web servers and other app servers.

2014年6月25日 下午 12:51

Same here for 2 newly deployed 2012 RDS Servers
    2014年6月25日 下午 04:12

Same here for 2 newly deployed 2012 RDS Servers

To add to this we are also seeing some users that this affects have missing Documents on our second sever in the Farm, this is with a full log off performed. Coupled with the constant USB redirection event this is beginning to become a problem. If one user connects to our second server in the Farm we get this event and they have a guaranteed chance of missing one or more folders. can we please get some information on this?
    2014年7月9日 下午 07:03
  • I am seeing the same issue on a Server 2012R2 file server. It's a barebones install with almost no roles or features added. The logins are blazing fast. It probably logs on in about 3/4 of a second. Reconnects are close to instant.

Does anyone know how fast a login has to be, to not trigger this message? Maybe the timeout value is in the registry (i.e. can be changed).

I would rather not turn off TCP/IP offloading, as the machine is running w/o any other issues (networking or otherwise).

I have heard that it could be a NIC card driver issue, however I have the latest for my card. Try updating and that may help some folks.

2014年7月10日 上午 12:02
  • We have had the same Problem in our Environment, but we are using Citrix XenApp 7.5.

The Problem could be solved, we installed a Hotfix from Citrix (ICATS750WX64007) which should adress and solve this Issue. It did not.

So i searched for symptoms and found this post. The Hint above to not set "DisableTaskOffload" to 1, instead using 0 as the value fixed the Problem in our Environment!

Dont know if it helps here, just wanted to mention it!

• 已編輯 S.Finke 2014年7月23日 上午 08:31
    2014年7月23日 上午 08:30
  • This issue doesn't seem to have anything to do with the NIC or TCPIP settings. But it does happen every time a user logs into the servers via RDP. This error is not logged when logging in directly from the console or VMM console. The error is logged when connecting via RDP from through a gateway server or without a gateway server. I think that the login speed is very fast so I believe this is just an error in the reporting itself and not an issue to worry about.

http://WrinkleFreeIT.com/

2014年10月6日 上午 05:57
  • Hi,

I met the issue only on Remote Deskop, with RemoteApp to Windows 2012 R2.

In iPad, sometime it  is hanging up and ends up failure connection , but it is working fine to connect the RemoteApp in Windows 2008R2 and remote desktop to Windows 2012 R2.   

I changed the "DisableTaskOffload" already.

any hint for that issue?

Thank you!

coding

• 已編輯 UCing 2014年11月5日 上午 12:39
    2014年11月4日 上午 03:18
  • I solve this problem by unchecking the printers and drives option leaving only the clipboard checked at the client side.

• 已提議為解答 Tobias.Ohren 2014年11月19日 上午 09:07
    2014年11月6日 下午 07:42
  • Hi

I had same issue on windows server 2012 R2 and i did everything but it didn't work ! so i decided to change the remote desktop port from 3389 to 3390 then start to working!! I put the port back to 3389 and working fine.

2014年11月9日 下午 03:10
  • I solve this problem by unchecking the printers and drives option leaving only the clipboard checked at the client side.

Your Solutions works for me! Thanks.

2014年11月19日 上午 09:07
  • Came across this thread while attempting to resolve this issue myself.

The solution that works for me is similar to Tobias, except I unchecked these option on the AD account.

("htt p:/ /1drv. ms/139c lqT" remove spaces!)

once i turned these options off and then attempted to logon again, VOILÁ!! speedy logons again

Hope this helps someone! I know it had me befuddled for a few hours!

2014年12月16日 下午 04:42
  • I have those option unchecked already and I am getting this warning.  Anyone know of any other solutions?
    2014年12月22日 下午 05:10

We also have exactly the same issue. We have a an existing and another brand new deployment with Windows Server 2012 R2 only. On both environment we see this warning on every RDP login session. The login goes very fast in a few seconds and we have no issues. We have tested this with an admin account without any additional GPOs, the warning keeps popping up. Sounds as a bug to me, that should be sorted out by Microsoft.

Boudewijn Plomp | BPMi Infrastructure & Security

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote as Helpful", and if it answered your question, please click "Mark as Answer".

2015年1月9日 上午 10:15
  • Are you guys having the issue connecting to 2012 R2 from Windows XP?
    2015年2月4日 上午 03:34
  • I have had this problem on and off, it seems to resolve the situation if the settings for redirected ressources (drives cd usb etc) are the same in the configuration of mstsc and in AD user profiles, hope this helps!
    2015年2月4日 下午 05:05
  • Just a question on this because we too have seen the issue but it might be something really stupid.  

So before I declare my stupidity, where are the errors being reported - on the gateway itself or a specific host that's just running RDP?

Is anyone seeing this only on servers that have the Remote Access Role(s) installed?

Oh and one other thing.  It might not be relevant, but when the warning occurs, does the client temporarily lose connection?

Jason.

Consultant | Nerd | Visionary. http://www.ethertech.com.au/ | http://www.deeperstates.com.au

• 已編輯 Jason Kelton 2015年2月5日 下午 02:17 additional thought...
    2015年2月5日 下午 02:15
  • Im afraid on this occasion   Dharmesh SIs incorrect.. The reg key suggest does not fix this. We have a case open with MS (and has been for 5 months) regarding this issue. the event triggers when LOAD_USERCONFIG_FROM_DC_TIMEOUT is reached in termserv.dll the timeout is set to something ridiculous like 2ms! I am expecting a private hotfix at some point soon. this affects anything that uses TS or RDS including admin sessions, not just RDSH hosts.
    2015年2月5日 下午 03:03
  • I'm experiencing the same issue, intermittently, when remotely using two of our eight SBS 2003 network computers via Remote Web Workplace. The two SBS computers are Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit machines.

Intermittently, the RWW connection is lost and I'm returned to the RWW page with the message "VBScript Remote Desktop Disconnected...an internal error has occurred.

When the issue occurs, the Event logs on both SBS computers contain the Event ID 20499, Remote Desktop Services has taken too long to load the user configuration from server XXXXX. The event is logged at the time the RWW connection is lost.

As the issue occurs with RDP sessions to Windows Server 2012 R2 (based on reports from others) and, in my case, SBS 2003, perhaps the common element is Windows 8.1.

• 已編輯 jdaniel56 2015年2月13日 下午 01:53
    2015年2月12日 上午 10:14
  • I have had this problem on and off, it seems to resolve the situation if the settings for redirected ressources (drives cd usb etc) are the same in the configuration of mstsc and in AD user profiles, hope this helps!

Thanks but this doesn't resolve anything in my case.
    2015年2月12日 下午 12:41
  • Agreed. We too are experiencing this error as well as this error "Failed to create KVP sessions string. Error Code 0x8007007A"
    2015年2月12日 下午 02:07
  • Hello,

Have you received any new information from MS on this?

That sounds right because the RemoteApp applications launch from start to finish in less than 10 seconds. I don't understand why this timeout is set so low but it means users receiving re-directed printers or not!

Thanks !

2015年3月3日 下午 08:01
  • I am just getting my cases resumed from parked now... Hopefully get some news shortly...

"Can we revive the EventID 20499 and Event ID 1152 cases we have parked now that we know we aren't going any further forward with the RDS Connection Broker case. Also do you know when we might have some maximum support-ability numbers for RDS."

2015年3月5日 下午 03:49
  • Can we get a MOD to un-mark the answers in this thread???? 29000+ views and many many comments (plus MS cases) say it isnt fixed!
    • 已提議為解答 tqmbill 2017年9月21日 下午 01:57
    2015年3月5日 下午 03:51
  • My "answer" may surprise most/all of you. It's more of an observation and opinion.

For me, this issue is not a big deal, other than an annoyance of having a warning appear in the log.

Why? I have Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials in my home office. A friend of mine owns a small business, and asked if I could set her up with a small server and 2012 R2 Essentials. I ordered her the server and Windows from Amazon, and got everything set up for her. It's running great.

Today when I logged into the server, I just happened to notice the 20499 warning in the Remote Desktop log. I found this post, among others, and some folks reported things were missing, like drive mappings.

I unchecked all the options--drive maps, clipboard, smart card--everything. And yet the warning persists.

So I decided to go back to my own home office server. Sure enough, this warning has occurred since I set up the server a year ago. Every login I've ever made has triggered it.

And I've never had a problem. My connections to the target machines work, and there's nothing missing. I can do my work and then log out or disconnect.

For others, you may be missing something on your remote connection. But for me, it is nothing more than an annoyance. It's been there for the better part of a year and I only saw it today. I take the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

2015年3月5日 下午 05:09
  • Event logs ARE there to be taken note of, for a single use, yes, maybe no big deal, when you are dealing with 100's of servers with 1000's of users it becomes a different matter entirely. It renders the quick view event logs within Server Manager useless, potentially raising many Ops Manager Alerts. 
    2015年3月5日 下午 05:30
  •  It's been there for the better part of a year and I only saw it today.

no comments

To MS:

please resolve this issue, I don't have problem with "too long to load the user configuration", but I have problem with dirty log in "Administrative Events".

bumblebee

2015年3月23日 上午 11:04
  • same problem,  it's just anoying to have all these warnings in the logs

2015年3月26日 下午 01:06
  • Feedback from MS:-

This is not going to be fixed in 2012 but may be fixed in vNext. Awesome. Thanks MS.

At least we didnt have to pay for the support hours as its an offical bug. They my blog about it at some point.

• 已提議為解答 IamGimli 2016年4月25日 上午 11:46
    2015年4月2日 上午 08:10
  • Thanks for that update.  How did you manage to get an official answer from MS? Sounds like you took a chance and opened a support case which they then decided not to charge for because it's a bug?

A question to all those that have decided to disable notifications of this error; do you have any alternative way to get notifications if some other problem does cause the logons to be delayed?  (other than the inevitable support tickets from users, but I'm asking for a more pro-active approach)

2015年4月19日 上午 09:19
  • Their response was to use SCOM for monitoring.

The event viewer in Server Manager for RDS is useless. If you have anything above a tiny deployment your event logs will fill up with 20499's and 1152 along with other spurious error messages.

RDS in 2012R2 is NOT enterprise ready. it is Small Business ready.

2015年4月21日 下午 03:14
  • I still don't understand what is the problem!?

I have virtual and physical servers 2012R2. This problem occurs only on physical machines. My remote login on both situations is super fast. I just wish to finish with this warning :). Is there any way to turn off this message?

PNMANTAK

2015年5月25日 上午 07:25
  • You can turn this message off in Event Viewer by disabling the relevant event log, just find the log and disable logging, not ideal, but a fix.
    2015年6月2日 上午 07:29
  • Refer this thread, which states that you can add a new DWORD (32-bit) Value in registry, name it as “DisableTaskOffload” and set value data to 1 on below mention path.

Not willing to accept for solution; considered to be an "overkill" for that problem.
    2015年7月14日 上午 10:35

Does not work for me.
    2015年7月14日 上午 10:40
  • decided to change the remote desktop port from 3389 to 3390 then start to working!! I put the port back to 3389 and working fine.

Does not work for me.
    2015年7月14日 上午 10:42
  • I'll throw my name in the hat as well. I have a newly built 2012 R2 virtual deployment, including RDS session servers and domain controllers, and I'm seeing the 20499 events as well.

On a side note, its kind of crappy that this issue is listed as answered. I got my hopes up. Luckily I decided to read the entire conversation before making pointless changes to my servers. But I bet others haven't...

2015年10月22日 下午 11:22
  • It is classed as a bug but there has been no fix released yet as Microsoft seem to think that "You can safely ignore this alert" is acceptable. There is however a BIG fix coming out for RDS 2012R2 next month, i'm yet to apply the private testing fix to my environment, but one would hope that it is included in the update (massive re-write of RDS for other issues we have seen around scalability).

If enough people raise cases for it, it will get traction, if people don't it will remain unfixed.

2015年10月23日 上午 08:05
  • We also get the same chaff (1152 and 20499 errors) cluttering our event logs, making it hard to see the real problems from these pseuds. We have about 80 users logging on and off all day, so it's becoming a bit of a nuisance. All remedies mentioned here have failed to allay the problem.

Graphic Equaliser

2015年10月27日 下午 04:23
  • @Microsoft Jim: Did you hear something new from Microsoft Support?

Hard to believe, but some admins want to have a clean event viewer. :-)

2015年11月11日 下午 04:35
  • They have released a public fix for RDS regarding scalability but I don't think there are any fixes for noisy event logs.

The only way to get this resolved is for everyone to raise a case with PSS \ CSS to get some traction on the "issue". It will get closed off as a bug but if you have a good TAM they should ask you for an impact statement which will be submitted to the PG which will hopefully wake them up.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote as Helpful", and if it answered your question, please click "Mark as Answer". I do not work for Microsoft, I manage a large estate in the public sector, my views are generally first hand production experiences.

2015年11月19日 上午 11:39
  • They have released a public fix for RDS regarding scalability

Public fix as in a public KB you can link to or do we still need to raise a ticket to get the fix?
    2015年11月23日 下午 02:27
  • https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3091411

Known issue when establishing more than 300 or so sessions. also makes you CBs and SQL server *MUCH* more efficient (updated stored procs etc...)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote as Helpful", and if it answered your question, please click "Mark as Answer". I do not work for Microsoft, I manage a large estate in the public sector, my views are generally first hand production experiences.

2015年11月25日 上午 11:27
  • Sadly the hotfix did not work for me. I am still getting 20499 warnings on login.
    2015年12月29日 上午 02:20
  • Same issue, no resolution :(
    Would be nice to see one, though :)

• 已提議為解答 Sekotine 2016年2月23日 上午 11:20
    2015年12月29日 下午 04:07
  • Problem: Physcal 2012 R2 remote desktop session host server with extremely slow logons for non-admin accounts only (Admin accounts log on right away).

Solution: Set DisableTaskOffload” in registry -- see above.

2016年1月16日 下午 11:59
  • Problem: Physcal 2012 R2 remote desktop session host server with extremely slow logons for non-admin accounts only (Admin accounts log on right away).

No, this is not a solution to the problem (as stated several times in this thread).

2016年2月17日 上午 07:39

Yeah not a viable work around, did nothing for me when I tried it
    2016年3月4日 上午 01:55
  • Still no resolution??
    2016年3月30日 下午 02:03
  • This is kind of sad but typical for MS. And this event ID IS a real issues for us. Our users (10 not 300+) have very slow connections there are only ten but all other possible causes have been ruled out. It is disappointing that MS is so apathetic about real issues that have an impact on user experience as they call it. 3 years and still no proper fix....and there are still issues lingering since 2008 that still have no proper fix - not workarounds.
    2016年4月6日 下午 10:30
  • Hi,

Hope it helps!
    Thanks.

Proposing own reply as an answer should be considered abuse of the system. Since years this option went way out of control and it has to end. We need working answers not your promotion.
    2016年4月9日 下午 10:08
  • ok ok, I suspect people are muddling up what they are seeing here...

Event ID 20499 is a NULL event, it means that it took longer than 5ms (milliseconds) reading the RDS user config from a domain controller, during the login process 5ms is nothing. Esentially LOAD_USERCONFIG_FROM_DC_TIMEOUT is reached in termserv.dll and the event is thrown. the timeout is hardcoded in the dll and cannot be adjusted AT ALL. No amount of tweaking the network stack will change this. You can see this event with 5 users or 5000 users. THIS IS A BUG BUT IT DOESNT AFFECT PRODUCTION WORKLOADS WHAT-SO-EVER.

If you are seeing slow connections (logins) or failing connections (logins) this is NOT the problem
    If you are seeing slow connections (logins) for NON Admins this is NOT the problem - CHECK YOUR GPOs \ login scripts \ user profile sizes \ server load \ network load. My money would be on crappy GPOs and login scripts.

If you are seeing poor PERFORMANCE within an RDS session this is NOT the problem - check server load and more importantly bandwidth from the remote client to the RDSH server, chances are its a saturated link \ packet loss \ latency \ MTU issue.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote as Helpful", and if it answered your question, please click "Mark as Answer". I do not work for Microsoft, I manage a large estate in the private sector, my views are generally first hand production experiences.

2016年4月14日 上午 08:40
  • Thanks MS Jim,

We are having what you refer to as slow/failing connections and this is happening for all users both ADMIN and NON-ADMINS. From the server logs,  I see the following 3 successive errors:

The user "user@domain", on client computer "IP:Port1", has initiated an outbound connection. This connection may not be be authenticated yet.

The user "user@domain", on client computer "IP:Port2", has initiated an inbound connection. This connection may not be be authenticated yet.

The user "user@domain", on client computer "IP:Port2", has initiated an inbound connection. This connection may not be be authenticated yet.

...and then nothing.  On the client side we get either:

----- Begin RemoteApp Disconnected Error

Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of the following reasons:

1) Remote access to the server is not enabled

2) The remote comptuer is turned off

3) The remote computer is not available on the network

Make sure the remote computer is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled.

----- End Error

OR

------Begin RemoteApp Disconnected Error

Your computer can't connect to the remote computer because of an error occurred on the remote computer that you want to connect to.  Contact your network administrator for assistance.

------ End Error

Both of these error happen while other clients are actively connected and working.

After subsequent tries from the failed clients, the authorization policy requirements are met and the user will be able to login.

Do you have any advise on specific logs to look for as this is a pretty basic installation NOT farmed out across multiple serves, our GPOs haven't be modified from default, we're not using login scripts and our server load looks fine from resource monitor.

I'd really appreciate anything you can suggest to make this system more stable for our developers.

Thank you.

2016年4月14日 下午 10:36
  • ol'english, open a new thread and i'll try and help you, this thread is getting way too long and needs to be closed.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote as Helpful", and if it answered your question, please click "Mark as Answer". I do not work for Microsoft, I manage a large estate in the private sector, my views are generally first hand production experiences.

2016年4月18日 上午 08:33
  • Thanks MS Jim,

The new thread can be found here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/564c9b4b-5098-4b24-892d-75b0e802e100/connections-failing-after-successful-login?forum=winserverTS

-Jase

2016年4月18日 下午 02:56
  • can you give me details of troubleshot on same 
    2016年5月20日 上午 10:35
  • Thanks MS Jim,

The new thread can be found here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/564c9b4b-5098-4b24-892d-75b0e802e100/connections-failing-after-successful-login?forum=winserverTS

-Jase

The new thread addresses the problem you have.  However, this thread is for a different issue.
    2016年5月20日 下午 05:23
  • Let me know when this is solved.
    2016年6月20日 下午 08:00
  • For me - I disabled:

Connect Client Drives at Login

Connect Client Printers at Logon

Default To Main Printer

in the Environment tab of AD.

- Letting RDS handle this seems to have resolved my issue.

-- I also noticed when actually accessing this tab it was extremly slow - so below is a <g class="gr_ gr_20 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="20" id="20">powershell</g> script to do it without manually clicking things :)

Get-ADUser -Filter * -SearchBase "DC=My,DC=Domain" | Foreach {
    	$User = [adsi]("LDAP://" + $_.distinguishedname)
    	$User.InvokeSet("ConnectClientDrivesAtLogon",0)
    	$User.InvokeSet("ConnectClientPrintersAtLogon",0)
    	$User.InvokeSet("DefaultToMainPrinter",0) 
    	$User.SetInfO()
    }

2016年7月8日 上午 03:28
  • This is an terrible idea. Not sure why it's marked as an answer.
    2016年7月15日 下午 04:32
  • is it solved?? if solved can you please provide the solution ??
    2016年10月19日 下午 12:35
  • Also looking for an answer.

Thanks.

2016年11月1日 上午 05:14
  • I think it's a shame that there is no workarround, hotfix or something since 2013.

The error is still there.

If anyone solve the problem, let me know.

• 已提議為解答 MarcMaster 2016年11月11日 上午 02:32
    • 已取消提議為解答 MarcMaster 2016年11月11日 上午 02:32
    2016年11月11日 上午 02:31
  • Still have it - Remote Desktop Services has taken too long to load the user configuration from server \\ for user - *SIGH* - New deployment done today.
    2016年11月18日 上午 07:11
  • Refer this thread, which states that you can add a new DWORD (32-bit) Value in registry, name it as “fQueryUserConfigFromLocalMachine” and set value data to 1 on below mention path.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp

Problem is solved : Server 2012 R2 – TerminalServices Event ID 20499

• 已提議為解答 AleksKey 2017年10月2日 上午 07:30
    2017年1月17日 下午 12:23
  • All,

If you are not using any of the RDS configuration data from the user object you may add the following registry value to the RDSH servers:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services\

fQueryUserConfigFromLocalMachine         REG_DWORD          0x00000001

The above should take effect immediately for new logons.

By RDS configuration on the user object I mean things like Remote Desktop Services roaming profile path, RDS home folder, etc.  Enabling this setting may decrease logon time, depending on the environment.

Please note the above registry value is for Server 2012 R2.

Thanks.

-TP

• 已提議為解答 dfs4651 2017年7月22日 下午 05:28
    • 已標示為解答 TP []MVP 2017年10月25日 下午 09:15
    2017年1月17日 下午 12:56
  • Same problem, no resolution, four years later!  As others suggest, everything seems to work "fine" despite the error message.  Another Microsoft "feature", ha!  :P
    2017年4月24日 下午 03:56
  • I am with you Mike442 as today we are still having this occur. Typically I have to login through a console with a local admin account, disable windows update service, and reboot the server. Once the server is back up we can login as normal again :(

I have opened a support case and will advise what happens.

Gizmo

• 已編輯 SLGizmo 2017年4月26日 下午 05:51
    2017年4月26日 下午 04:02
  • Refer this thread, which states that you can add a new DWORD (32-bit) Value in registry, name it as “fQueryUserConfigFromLocalMachine” and set value data to 1 on below mention path.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp

For me this good!! Problem is solved : Server 2012 R2 – TerminalServices Event ID 20499. More Thanks You!!!
    • 已提議為解答 AleksKey 2017年10月2日 上午 07:29
    2017年6月23日 下午 12:35

For me this good!! Problem is solved : Server 2012 R2 – TerminalServices Event ID 20499. More Thanks You!!!

Hi Joe, have you noticed any side effects yet? Would you recommend this to solve the problem entirely?
    • 已提議為解答 AleksKey 2017年10月2日 上午 07:29
    2017年8月15日 上午 09:43
  • Hi, i think you can use this solution for your issue:

To fix this issue in WIndows Server 2012, you have to upgrade to Windows Server 2012 R2. Then, create the fQueryUserConfigFromLocalMachine registry entry. To make the registry change, follow these steps:

1. Start Registry Editor. (Press Windows logo key + R, type regedit.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.)
    2. In Registry Editor, locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\<Connection Name>

Note By default, the value for <Connection Name> is RDP-Tcp. This value RDP-Tcp can be renamed or configured to something else.
    3. On the Edit menu, select New, and then select DWORD Value.
    4. Type fQueryUserConfigFromLocalMachine.
    5. Press and hold (or right-click) fQueryUserConfigFromLocalMachine, and then select Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then select OK.
    7. Exit Registry Editor.

https://support.microsoft.com/be-by/help/4021856/the-computer-freezes-when-you-create-an-rdp-connection-to-windows-serv

• 已提議為解答 AleksKey 2017年10月2日 上午 07:30
    2017年10月2日 上午 07:28
  • Hello, I am facing the same problem on a Windows 2012 R2 Server which is infact our DC.  Why all of a sudden is this happening ?  The above regedit fix has resolved the issue but what has caused this problem to happen?
    2017年10月25日 下午 06:53
  • I have a setup of several windows 2012 r2 servers in AWS and am constantly experiencing this issue. More specifically, it is preventing us from being able to do any user customization, including Folder Redirection. Has ANYONE found a solution for this? I have tried everything listed in this and several other forums and nothing has worked.

I echo the "about to go insane" mentality of other users. How do people work around this if it MUST be solved in order for your environment to function correctly?

2017年10月26日 下午 08:32
  • Hi, i think you can use this solution for your issue:

To fix this issue in WIndows Server 2012, you have to upgrade to Windows Server 2012 R2. Then, create the fQueryUserConfigFromLocalMachine registry entry. To make the registry change, follow these steps:

1. Start Registry Editor. (Press Windows logo key + R, type regedit.exe in the Open box, and then click OK.)
    2. In Registry Editor, locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Terminal Services
      • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\<Connection Name>

Note By default, the value for <Connection Name> is RDP-Tcp. This value RDP-Tcp can be renamed or configured to something else.
    3. On the Edit menu, select New, and then select DWORD Value.
    4. Type fQueryUserConfigFromLocalMachine.
    5. Press and hold (or right-click) fQueryUserConfigFromLocalMachine, and then select Modify.
    6. In the Value data box, type 1, and then select OK.
    7. Exit Registry Editor.

https://support.microsoft.com/be-by/help/4021856/the-computer-freezes-when-you-create-an-rdp-connection-to-windows-serv

Thank you. This stops the warnings for me. However, more importantly this also fixed an issue in my environment where 2 out of 6 RD Session Hosts were not redirecting the local client's default printer, despite all settings appearing to be the same as the other 4 RD Session Hosts.
    2018年11月22日 上午 05:38