Updating from Evaluation ISO RRS feed

• Spørgsmål

• I've just read that I will be unable to upgrade from my installation from the Evaluation ISO. I didn't realise that, so is there any way I will be able to upgrade? Perhaps doing a server reinstallation or something? I don't yet own a OEM license of WHS, but I will buy a license when I have funds spare for WHS! (I'm using an evaluation).

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    24. juni 2008 06:39

Svar

• You can upgrade.  When you buy the software (assuming before the 120 day Evaluation Expiration date) you will need to place the Server Installation DVD into the drive and reboot your home server using the DVD drive as the reboot source.  You should be offered 2 options, one is New Installation and a 2nd "Server Reinstallation".  You have already done a "New Installation" as that is how you set-up your home server the first time.

"Server Reinstallation" will erase / format the current version of Windows Home Server and install the version off of the DVD.  You can read more about this process by searching on "Server Reinstallation" in the Windows Home Server Software forum.

24. juni 2008 13:09
  • Only issues I have seen is if you have a funky hardware setup, where the installation process gets confused as to which drive is the primary hard drive.  This has happened to some people who installed the software, then changed the BIOS to add more hard drives. 

Also, some people pulled out the Server Installation DVD prior to the Server Reinstallation process which caused it to fail.    Search the Windows Home Server Software forum for lots of stories and tips. 

24. juni 2008 17:23

Alle besvarelser

• You can upgrade.  When you buy the software (assuming before the 120 day Evaluation Expiration date) you will need to place the Server Installation DVD into the drive and reboot your home server using the DVD drive as the reboot source.  You should be offered 2 options, one is New Installation and a 2nd "Server Reinstallation".  You have already done a "New Installation" as that is how you set-up your home server the first time.

"Server Reinstallation" will erase / format the current version of Windows Home Server and install the version off of the DVD.  You can read more about this process by searching on "Server Reinstallation" in the Windows Home Server Software forum.

24. juni 2008 13:09
  • This was what I was planning to do Smile - There won't be any issues though replacing a PP1 RC installation with RTM will there?
    24. juni 2008 17:09
  • Only issues I have seen is if you have a funky hardware setup, where the installation process gets confused as to which drive is the primary hard drive.  This has happened to some people who installed the software, then changed the BIOS to add more hard drives. 

Also, some people pulled out the Server Installation DVD prior to the Server Reinstallation process which caused it to fail.    Search the Windows Home Server Software forum for lots of stories and tips. 

24. juni 2008 17:23
  •  WinGeek wrote:
    This was what I was planning to do - There won't be any issues though replacing a PP1 RC installation with RTM will there?

There shouldn't be but this is a great test scenario for you testers!!

24. juni 2008 18:56
    Redaktør