none
Deployment Change

Question

• I have a few questions

1. can the HPC connect to a remote DB Mirror setup?
    2. can the HPC connect to a Always on setup?
    3. how hard is it to change the database connection? so say i set up a single remote DB can i change to an always on setup?
    4. can i add more head nodes easily if i start out with one head node?
    5. also is it possible to have alias for an HPC cluster? so i have an internal name called thor and say i want a group of computer to connect via ENGLab name and any emails sent would reflect that?

Darren

• Edited by DCSpooner Friday, 14 September 2018 2:14 AM added a line
    Friday, 14 September 2018 2:11 AM

All replies

• 1. We think our architecture should work with DB mirror. Our service uses the SQL connection string and retries the connection when connection failed. We even provide SQL connection string plugins for situations that sql connection string changes on the fly (Security requirement)

2. Yes, HPC Pack supports using SQL always on setup or using Azure SQL instance

3. For single Headnode The Connection string is stored in the HKLM\Software\microsoft\hpc\security; after changing the connection string you need restart the service so that the connection string is re-loaded

4. You have to start with 3 head nodes from the beginning for high availability as currently we rely on service fabric for service failovering. We are re-visiting this in HPC Pack 2019 on how to support single headnode --> two headnodes HA

5. Are you referring to CName? Yes, CName shall just work. We tested in HPC Pack 2012 R2, but it shall be the same for HPC pack 2016

Qiufang Shi

Friday, 14 September 2018 3:03 AM
  • for #4 i was hoping in the future one can change from a stand along to a HA environment

also where can i get this plugin for SQL connection that your referred to?

Friday, 14 September 2018 9:31 PM
  • For #4, currently Service fabric didn't support that. Thus we have to switch away from service fabric and implement our own HA thus the paxos protocol for our service and this is not a small work.

For SQL connection string, you could refer to this: http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/D/B/BDB8782A-FAAF-457D-AF3D-0B157FEEDF4C/HpcSqlConnectionStringPlugin.pdf

The official doc will be available soon on https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/high-performance-computing/overview?view=hpc16-ps 

We are currently refreshing all the docs on this new doc site for HPC Pack

Qiufang Shi

Tuesday, 18 September 2018 3:13 AM
  • thank you so much for your help.

as I am not a programmer I would not know what to do with the plugin. I hope that is in the next version of HPC Pack so people would not have to compile. 

Tuesday, 18 September 2018 11:24 AM