none
Azure node provisioning error "object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Question

• I am on 2016 Pack with latest updates (v 5.1.6114)

Headnode and few compute nodes are on premise and trying to connect to Azure to deploy IaaS nodes. The steps mentioned in "Burst to Azure IaaS nodes in HPC Pack.pdf" have gone fine until the node provisioning step. When I am trying to 'Start' an Azure node, I get the 'object reference not set to an instance of an object' error twice in the node's provisioning log and the log finally says 'reverted'. what am i missing? 

Tried both 2012 R2 VM and 2016 VM - Same error while provisiong.

Friday, 17 August 2018 8:02 PM

All replies

• Hi, had you done the step "Provide installation credentials" and "Set Azure Deployment Configuration" on the "Deployment To-do List"?
    • Edited by Sunbin Zhu Monday, 20 August 2018 4:39 AM
    Monday, 20 August 2018 4:38 AM
  • Thanks.

"Provide installation credentials" step is missing from the "Burst to Azure IaaS nodes in HPC Pack.pdfguide. Providing it made that error go away - Please update the user guide.

Too, the instructions for adding service principal certificate on the headnode is incorrect. The certificate (.cer) needs to be added to the Local Machine\Trusted Root Certificates Authorities store and that is missing from the guide. The instructions say to add it to the Personal store, which according to this document, is not needed at all ("Starting with HPC Pack 2012 with SP1, this configuration is not needed."!

Secondly, I had provided my domain credentials - How will that be applicable to Azure nodes that will NOT be on the domain....? If I have to login to an IaaS VM, what login/password would I be providing?

Tuesday, 21 August 2018 2:07 AM
  • "Provide installation credentials" is the mandatory step in "Deployment To-Do List", don't know why it is missing.

The document you are referring to is for "Burst to Azure PaaS nodes" feature, but not for "Burst to Azure IaaS nodes" feature.

If you burst to non-domain joined iaas nodes, your domain user name and password will still be used. For example, if your domain user name is HPC\hpcadmin, then "hpcadmin" will be used as local user name.

Tuesday, 21 August 2018 5:54 AM