How to collapse Object Explorer Tree in Management Studio RRS feed

• Question

• Newbie seeking answers. 

I switch between servers constantly in my work. After a while, the tree got openned up all over the place, and i have to focus really hard to see where I was, difficult if you have a thousand tables database, for which you have to roll up to the database level then collapse it, in order to get a sense of where you are. Is there a COLLAPSE ALL function or shortcut ?  This will let me start over again on the Object tree. 

Thank you in advance.

RSL
    Thursday, 2 February 2012 9:18 PM

Answers

• to build on a couple suggestions in here, I usually press the Home key to get to the root node, and then F5 to refresh (which has the side-effect of collapsing all the expanded nodes)
    Thursday, 16 February 2012 7:51 PM

All replies

• Have you tried right clicking on the highest level and selecting refresh.
    Thursday, 2 February 2012 9:25 PM
  • Thank you. Tried that, same affect as i collapse the toplevel (of each server instance). The problem is rolling up to find that top level, which is most of the work.  Like I said if you have a thousand table database openned in the OBJECT EXPLORER tree, you have roll up a lot, and lets say you have several 1,000 tables such database open, it tests my focus to try to locate the server tops.

There's got to be a COLLAPSE ALL short cut by now ?

RSL
    Thursday, 2 February 2012 9:50 PM
  • I don't think it is currently possible in SSMS to achieve exactly what you're wanting and I agree it would be useful.

Here are the current short cuts for SSMS http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174205.aspx

If no one else can provide a solution you could raise a suggestion for this feature at http://connect.microsoft.com

Thursday, 2 February 2012 10:41 PM
  • I only know of two ways of doing it:

1. Disconnect the server in Object Explorer and connect it

2. Exit SSMS and reenter

Kalman Toth, SQL Server & Business Intelligence Training; SQL SERVER BEST PRACTICES
    • Proposed as answer by Maggie Luo Monday, 6 February 2012 3:28 AM
    Friday, 3 February 2012 4:30 PM
    Answerer
  • You can use the 'Home' key to jump immediately to the top.

A quick way to close up all the nodes from where your selection is, is to hold down the left arrow key.

Dave Frommer - BI Architect - Independent
    Saturday, 4 February 2012 1:54 PM
  • to build on a couple suggestions in here, I usually press the Home key to get to the root node, and then F5 to refresh (which has the side-effect of collapsing all the expanded nodes)
    Thursday, 16 February 2012 7:51 PM
  • This works, but only if you have one instance connection open. If you have many instance connections, Home will go to the first instance.
    Thursday, 17 October 2019 9:22 AM