none
New Lizard test results - I think it may be a bit off

Question

• Just installed a clean HPC Pack 2016 U2 cluster - very small, 1 head node (offline), 1 compute node - just finished running Lizard in Express Tuning mode, and I have to question the results - unless an efficiency rating of 397% makes sense...

One node, with HT disabled, VT disabled, Turbo Boost enabled.

Monday, 19 November 2018 5:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Jack,

The efficiency 397.61% is calculated by [The best performance(GFlop/s) in testing of the cluster] / [The theoretical peak performance(GFlop/s) of the cluster] = 1523 / 383.04.

[The theoretical peak performance(GFlop/s) of the cluster] =  SUM([The theoretical peak performance(GFlop/s) of each node]) = SUM([core count per node] * [(double-precision) floating-point operations per cycle] * [average frequency of core]).

The parameters are auto detected by Lizard except [(double-precision) floating-point operations per cycle], which need to be specified manually.

You can set this value for your node in file cpuflops.txt under Lizard installation folder, or clear the file and set it in the prompted dialog when starting Lizard.

The default value preset by Lizard is 4, which may be not suitable for your cluster. This page may help to determine the value.

Are your cluster on Azure ? I use 16 as the value of [(double-precision) floating-point operations per cycle] in most VMs on Azure, for your reference.

Chenling

Tuesday, 20 November 2018 9:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Jack,

The efficiency 397.61% is calculated by [The best performance(GFlop/s) in testing of the cluster] / [The theoretical peak performance(GFlop/s) of the cluster] = 1523 / 383.04.

[The theoretical peak performance(GFlop/s) of the cluster] =  SUM([The theoretical peak performance(GFlop/s) of each node]) = SUM([core count per node] * [(double-precision) floating-point operations per cycle] * [average frequency of core]).

The parameters are auto detected by Lizard except [(double-precision) floating-point operations per cycle], which need to be specified manually.

You can set this value for your node in file cpuflops.txt under Lizard installation folder, or clear the file and set it in the prompted dialog when starting Lizard.

The default value preset by Lizard is 4, which may be not suitable for your cluster. This page may help to determine the value.

Are your cluster on Azure ? I use 16 as the value of [(double-precision) floating-point operations per cycle] in most VMs on Azure, for your reference.

Chenling

Tuesday, 20 November 2018 9:33 AM
  • Thanks - I was using the default value of 4, which should be 16 per your document.  
    Monday, 26 November 2018 11:42 PM