none
Azure Blob Storage accoun for Bursting IaaS nodes

Question

• To be able to access the blob account from Iaas Nodes, the storage account must be created in the same resource group as the node template is associated with , correct?
    Thursday, 20 September 2018 6:12 PM

All replies

• For bursting to IaaS node, there is no need for storage account, and there is no such configuration in the node template.

And if your IaaS node to access storage account, it is not necessary to put the storage account in the same resource group.

What is your scenario?

Qiufang Shi

Friday, 21 September 2018 3:24 AM
  • Here is my scenario - https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6037dac7-38f8-4dd4-a56a-75f17392e677/azure-nodes-cannot-access-service-configuration-file?forum=windowshpcitpros

Basically have a hybrid cluster with HN+Workstation nodes on premise. Trying to burst into non-domain joined Azure IaaS nodes for SOA service(s). 

As you can imagine, Azure nodes cannot access the SOA DLLs on-premise through service config files. I still have issue accessing service config file itself, but that is being addressed in the thread above (using High availability).

There seems to be an issue with using azcopy on Azure nodes since the HPC marketplace images do NOT contain any of Azure utilities.

So I am now thinking of creating a custom image out of the marketplace 'HPC Pack 2016 Compute Node' image by installing azcopy on it. This way I can choose the 'Custom IaaS Image' option while creating a IaaS node(s) on my HN. Have not tried it yet, but will be doing it shortly.

Will update this thread of my findings.

The experience so far suggests that it's a long and arduous task to get non-domain joined Azure nodes to work for SOA deployment.

• Edited by SRIRAM R Sunday, 23 September 2018 6:12 PM
    Friday, 21 September 2018 3:53 AM
  • Please contact us through hpcpack@microsoft.com. We could give you more detailed guidance on how to do HPC SOA workload on hybrid HPC Pack cluster

Qiufang Shi

Tuesday, 25 September 2018 9:08 AM
  • Please add a line or two in the help doc about pulling in binaries/SOA dll resources from blob storage into IaaS nodes using prepareNodeCommandLine. This is what is working for me to have SOA to work on non-domain joined IaaS nodes 
    Wednesday, 10 October 2018 11:38 AM