none
Correct syntax for Un-Attended install of HPC Pack 2016 client

Question

• Trying to automate the install of the client side portions of HPC pack but I cannot associate a certificate.

Each time I get a syntax error around specifying the password for the certificate but can't find any documentation on how to set it up properly as it seems as though I cannot install HPC pack without the cert.

Wednesday, 18 July 2018 5:47 PM

All replies

• you could run setup.exe /? to get the help.

And if you set up through GUI manually, you can refer to the logs under c:\windows\temp\hpcsetup\HPCSetupLogs-xxxxx\chainer.txt, the first line will tell you the setup commandline such as:

06:09:01.879 -  Command arguments : -Unattend -ClusterName:"HPCBVT2HN" -HeadNode -HeadNodeList:"HPCBVT2HN" -SSLPfxFilePath:"z:\tests\setup\test.pfx" -SSLPfxFilePassword:******

THus, for client silent installation, it will be like: setup.exe -unattend -client

You don't need specify cert for client installation. 

Qiufang Shi

Thursday, 19 July 2018 2:32 AM
  • Actually I misspoke, I am trying to set up a compute node and I cannot for the life of me get the following command to work properly:

& C:\HPC2016\5.1.6086.0\setup.exe -Unattend -ComputeNode:pwawoscm552400C -SSLPfxFilePath:'C:\hpccomm.pfx' -SLPfxPassword:'passwordhere'

I get the error window that tells me "The parameter SSLPfxPassword is incorrect or it is in the wrong format."

However no guidance is given about what the format should be.  I know the password is correct because I can install it with the GUI.  I also checked the logs as you suggested, and when you import the cert, it just imports it without displaying the command line.

so what is the correct format?  

I have tried loading the password into a variable using the ConvertTo-SecureString cmdlet and then passing the $secure_string_pwd as a variable.  tried the plaintext password in quotes, unquoted same result each time.

Friday, 20 July 2018 4:32 AM
  • Please check below commandline we used in testing: suppose you shouldn't use single quote. And the last one should be SSLPfxPassword instead of SLPfxPassword

\\<HN>\REMINST\setup.exe -unattend -ComputeNode:<HN> -SSLPfxFilePath:"\\<HN>\REMINST\test.pfx" -SSLPfxFilePassword:"mypassword"

Qiufang Shi

Saturday, 21 July 2018 9:44 AM