none
node network information from scheduler API

Question

• Am on HPC Pack 2016 update 1 with latest fixes

ISchedulerNode does not seem to contain any network info related to the node (IP address, in particular). Any other way to obtain this info for node (or nodes in a certain group?) via automation/API? 

Otherwise, where is this information stored in the HPC database so perhaps I can pull it out from there...

Thanks

• Edited by SRIRAM R Tuesday, 2 October 2018 8:38 PM
    Tuesday, 2 October 2018 8:37 PM

Answers

• Thank you. It would be nice if hosts file on (non-domain joined IaaS) node is updated during provisioning process. That way the process would be more seamless. Too, this would also help when you/MS rolls out "Updates" to Marketplace HPC Pack images . 

For now, I have created a custom image (2016 Compute Node with 2016 HPC Pack) with host file entries for HN and then using that custom image during node template creation.

• Edited by SRIRAM R Wednesday, 10 October 2018 11:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by SRIRAM R Wednesday, 10 October 2018 11:32 AM
    Monday, 8 October 2018 8:27 PM

All replies

• So this request to find out IP of non-domain joined IaaS nodes is so that HN can "see" these nodes by adding them to "hosts" file on HN. I have upgraded to 2016 Update 2. It appears what I am trying to do is available through "HostFileForOtherSubnet" cluster property according to the guide here

I set the property to 1, restarted the HPCManagement service (and rebooted the HN) as well, but I still see that the IaaS node is 'not reachable' (dont see any entries in hosts file either) What else am I missing? I have a single HN.

Too, have a related question - Does this property take care of the HN visibility from IaaS node as well?

Thanks

Monday, 8 October 2018 12:22 AM
  • ---"Does this property take care of the HN visibility from IaaS node as well?"

No, the property only makes head node to record the IP address of the compute nodes which are not in the its same subnet.

So you must configure the DNS setting for the virtual network in which the IaaS nodes locate to make the IaaS node can resolve the host name of the head node. After that, the IaaS compute nodes can report themselves to head node, and the head node will record the IP addresses of the IaaS compute nodes in its hosts file.

Monday, 8 October 2018 6:30 AM
  • Thank you. It would be nice if hosts file on (non-domain joined IaaS) node is updated during provisioning process. That way the process would be more seamless. Too, this would also help when you/MS rolls out "Updates" to Marketplace HPC Pack images . 

For now, I have created a custom image (2016 Compute Node with 2016 HPC Pack) with host file entries for HN and then using that custom image during node template creation.

• Edited by SRIRAM R Wednesday, 10 October 2018 11:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by SRIRAM R Wednesday, 10 October 2018 11:32 AM
    Monday, 8 October 2018 8:27 PM