Questions from a Newbie RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I am practically new to OCS 2007, so I need to ask a few question to clarify.

Right now I have OCS 2007 Standard running on one machine server. The IM to chat internal network is working fine.

now I need to enable Web Access to allow external users to login and chat with internal user, my questions are:

1. Does OCS 2007 Standard version has web access feature? If so, how do I turn it on

2. I do not have a Edge Server, how do I install it? and where do I grab that application?

3. Do I have to have Edge Server install on a separate machine in order to have Web Access working?

Thank you in advance

Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:30 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Michael,

There's a Web Access for OCS called CWA.

You can install it by using the same media (cd/dvd) that you installed OCS from by selecting "Deploy other server roles" » Deploy Communicator Web Access.

This will enable AD users who are outside of your (fisical) network (this is what you mean by external users right?) to access OCS (just like OWA for exchange) without the need for a VPN.

CWA needs to be installed on a domain member server in the internal network and cant co-exist with any of the other OCS roles (FE role, mediation, edges, etc). Don't forget to publish the CWA web in the end to make it accessible on the internet.

Edge Server roles are also on the media that you installed OCS from by selecting "Deploy other server roles".

Edge Server has nothing to do with CWA. They both let "outside" users to access OCS without a VPN but they work seperatly. You can have CWA without Edge and Edge without CWA Wink

CWA is very limited, you can do IM, see presence but you cant do audio/conferences for example.

Thats where the Edge comes in, it offers more features than CWA but it also has more pre-requisites.

If you only need IM chat and presence you wont need a edge server

Hope it helps

Best Regards,

Hugo Picão

Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:57 PM
  • Hi,

I'va a question about CWA.

I've a server with some ASP page...In the same domain there is a OCS server with CWA.

I need to show the presence of users logged by CWA on my ASP page.

How can I do this?

I've tryed to use the presence control (name.dll) that show a gif green, yellow, red... but I prefer use a side-server control.

Help me.

Thanks

Monday, August 18, 2008 12:06 PM
  • What you want is impossible

You can only show presence of full Communicator Clients on a webpage.

There is no interaction between CWA and any control

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:21 PM
  •  

Why is impossible?

I dont't want to use only a control.

From a my ASP page I could ask to cwa server if a user is logged, or is impossible?

Are there some web service or AJAX call to communicate with CWA?

In a normal web page I cannot see if a user is logged with CWA?

Thursday, August 21, 2008 10:15 AM
  • You can see if a user is logged on in your buddy list regardless wether he is logged into CWA or Communicator

But you cannot use a users CWA session to display the green button on a webpage for that user, then you need the full client

Thursday, August 21, 2008 4:15 PM