WHS Toolkit RRS feed

• Question

• I have been waiting for PP1 to use to copy my shares folder to an extenal drive but now I have read that this feature will not be included.  So, I have installed WHS Toolkit but I can't find Robocopy under Addins in Settings.  Where can I find it?  And, if found, how do I use it to copy my shares to the external drive?  Thanks!

Ted

Saturday, May 24, 2008 11:55 PM

Answers

•  TMG01 wrote:

I have been waiting for PP1 to use to copy my shares folder to an extenal drive but now I have read that this feature will not be included.  So, I have installed WHS Toolkit but I can't find Robocopy under Addins in Settings.  Where can I find it?  And, if found, how do I use it to copy my shares to the external drive?  Thanks!

Ted

Power Pack 1 will have the ability to backup your network shares to an external drive.  (The part that was dropped from PP1 was the ability to backup your client backup database.)

Sunday, May 25, 2008 12:18 AM
  •  TMG01 wrote:
    Just FYI.  RobocopyGUI doesn't work so I used the following CMD line and it worked great.  485 gb of photos, videos and My Movies copied successfully to my extenal drive and it is locked in the firesafe!

robocopy d:/shares F: /MIR /R:0

Hard to believe that PP1 has dropped the ability to backup WHS to an external drive(s) or an online site.  Guess it is only meant to protect against simple HD failure not catostrophic failure? Seems like I had tape backups many years ago that made me feel much more secure as I kept them locked in my lockbox at the bank.  Oh well, progress I guess!

Ted

To clarify:  PP1 never had the ability to backup your entire server (including the OS and customizations).  Just the ability to backup the backup database (which was removed) and the ability to backup data stored in your network shares (which it still does).  Based on comments from MS employees and MVPs, I have no doubt that the ability to backup the backup database will happen at some point in time in the future (once all of the bugs are worked out).

Sunday, May 25, 2008 10:25 PM
  •  TMG01 wrote:

Hard to believe that PP1 has dropped the ability to backup WHS to an external drive(s) or an online site.  Guess it is only meant to protect against simple HD failure not catostrophic failure? Seems like I had tape backups many years ago that made me feel much more secure as I kept them locked in my lockbox at the bank.  Oh well, progress I guess!

Ted

I would suggest using the UNC share paths for robocopy instead of d:/shares, ie \\server\photos, \\server\music, etc.  I use the same UNC share names because initially using just D:\shares robocopy picked up some tombstones.  You can verify by comparing 'size' and 'size on disk'. 

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 8:58 PM

All replies

• OK, found the Robocopy GUI, downloaded and installed it.  But, I can't get it to copy d:/shares/ to f:/.  Now what?

Sunday, May 25, 2008 12:13 AM
  •  TMG01 wrote:

I have been waiting for PP1 to use to copy my shares folder to an extenal drive but now I have read that this feature will not be included.  So, I have installed WHS Toolkit but I can't find Robocopy under Addins in Settings.  Where can I find it?  And, if found, how do I use it to copy my shares to the external drive?  Thanks!

Ted

Power Pack 1 will have the ability to backup your network shares to an external drive.  (The part that was dropped from PP1 was the ability to backup your client backup database.)

Sunday, May 25, 2008 12:18 AM
  • Just FYI.  RobocopyGUI doesn't work so I used the following CMD line and it worked great.  485 gb of photos, videos and My Movies copied successfully to my extenal drive and it is locked in the firesafe!

Ted

Sunday, May 25, 2008 9:37 PM
  •  TMG01 wrote:
    Just FYI.  RobocopyGUI doesn't work so I used the following CMD line and it worked great.  485 gb of photos, videos and My Movies copied successfully to my extenal drive and it is locked in the firesafe!

Ted

To clarify:  PP1 never had the ability to backup your entire server (including the OS and customizations).  Just the ability to backup the backup database (which was removed) and the ability to backup data stored in your network shares (which it still does).  Based on comments from MS employees and MVPs, I have no doubt that the ability to backup the backup database will happen at some point in time in the future (once all of the bugs are worked out).

Sunday, May 25, 2008 10:25 PM
  •  TMG01 wrote:

Ted

I would suggest using the UNC share paths for robocopy instead of d:/shares, ie \\server\photos, \\server\music, etc.  I use the same UNC share names because initially using just D:\shares robocopy picked up some tombstones.  You can verify by comparing 'size' and 'size on disk'. 

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 8:58 PM
  • Hmmmm...okay.  Can you tell me what the CMD line should say in that case please?  I'll redo it.

Ted

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 8:41 PM
  •  TMG01 wrote:

Hmmmm...okay.  Can you tell me what the CMD line should say in that case please?  I'll redo it.

Ted

I use something similar to this:

(example) robocopy \\servername\sharename X:\destination /MIR /otherswitches
    robocopy \\server\music E:\backup\music /MIR /W:10 /R:2 /log+:E:\backup.log
    robocopy \\server\videos E:\backup\videos /MIR /W:10 /R:2 /log+:E:\backup.log

robocopy /? gives a great listing for all the switches.

I have a line for each share but it makes it pretty easy to keep track of the backups in the log.  The "log+" appends the log file so I also have a line at the beginning to delete the old log before the backup, del E:\backup.log.  E: of course being the external drive and 'server' is the name of the box.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:15 PM
  • Thanks!  I tried your example and have my Videos and Photos copied to the USB External Drive.  Worked great.  Thanks again.

Ted

Friday, May 30, 2008 1:38 PM
  • How did you get the robocopy.exe? did it come with the RobocopyGUI you downloaded or from the 2003 Server ResKit?

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:21 PM
  • From the Server 2003 ResKit

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:31 PM