Associating Case to an Address RRS feed

• Question

• Our accounts often have multiple addresses associated with them, which we enter under the "more addresses" field.  When entering a case we would really like to be able to associate it to the address where the work took place.  Is this possible?

If not, what is recommended best practice?  I really don't want to create an account for every single address, which seems to be the only way I could associate the case with a specific address, but maybe that's what we'll have to do?  I suppose I could just create a text field on the case form but that does not seem like a very elegant solution.

Please give me your recommendations.  I am not a programmer so the solution needs to be within my limited range of form modification and custom field skills.

Thank You

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 7:23 PM

All replies

• The best thing to do without any customization would be to enable Connections on the Address and then use Connections to put an Address on the Case. Not the most user-friendly method, as you'd be looking through all addresses, not just related addresses to an account/contact, but it's the only way to do is that doesn't use any code or JavaScript.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 8:58 PM
  • This is one of the limitations of OOB Address entity., not being able to create N:1 relationship to other entities (case in this scenario). It is not possible to directly associate case with address using OOB configuration.

Here is a workaround

1. Store 'Address type' when creating addresses for account

2. On Case, create a similar (AddressType) field say 'Service Requested at' and then the user can select if it was home/office/other address types.

This way user will know where the work was done for a customer's case. This will require a bit of user training but is better than going for a custom entity for address.

Optional: If you want to see that address on the case form then you can do so using a script/plugin and copying the address based on the selected address type on case.

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:53 PM