none
Top Answerers is back but includes Microsoft support people who are being paid to support. It shouldn't. RRS feed

• Question

• Once again it seems that errors which have earlier been removed come back when you correct the software.

Now that Top Answerers are back after an absence caused by a recent software "upgrade" they are back containing an error which was got rid of maybe a year ago.

The whole point of the Top Answerers List is to encourage people to write good posts that get marked as answers because they are good.

This aim is not achieved if the top answerers in every such list are all people from the Microsoft support teams in China who are being paid to support the forums and who often in some forum sets mark their own posts as answers (in some cases immediately!)

Please once again remove Microsoft people from the general Top Answerers list. They have in any case their own list of "Top Microsoft Answerers" - not that that is of any interest to anyone except their bosses and it could be removed imo.

Mike Walsh

2010 Books: SPF 2010; SPS 2010; SPD 2010; InfoPath 2010; Workflow etc.
    2007 Books: WSS 3.0; MOSS 2007; SPD 2007; InfoPath 2007; PerformancePoint; SSRS; Workflow
    Both lists also include books in French; German; Spanish with even more languages in the 2007 list.
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 7:30 AM

Answers

• I remember this bug, it was fixed way back when. Of course if people find things broken they should let us know, but as far as I am concerned this is closed.

Community Forums Program Manager

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:50 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hear, hear!
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:30 AM
  • This still an issue? Got a link to a forum where this is the case? I know that Microsoft employees don't get in the list anymore, but not sure whether it fixes the issue.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, April 23, 2012 10:45 PM
    Owner
  • This still an issue? 

No idea I'm afraid. Since being dropped as Moderator the only time I visit the forums is when I get alerts from old threads (like this one).

My memory is that the Top Answerers list became much less useful, but as I then turned it off (=made it not visible) I have no idea if it still is so.

Mike

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:05 AM
  • I remember this bug, it was fixed way back when. Of course if people find things broken they should let us know, but as far as I am concerned this is closed.

Community Forums Program Manager

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:50 AM
    Answerer

For me too, so I will mark your reply as "the answer".

This thread, which as you point out was only information to the forum team about a temporary problem which they then solved, is one which in my opinion did not need reviving after 21 months but could well have been left as it was.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:35 PM
  • I think Ed tries to close all old threads. While it may be a good idea, it really messes up the display. Say, I'm interested in the new threads in this forum, but now I have a huge number of old threads suddenly became new and I have no way to filter these out as I am only interested in 2012 threads.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:54 PM
  • I think Ed tries to close all old threads. While it may be a good idea, it really messes up the display. Say, I'm interested in the new threads in this forum, but now I have a huge number of old threads suddenly became new and I have no way to filter these out as I am only interested in 2012 threads.

My blog

Sort by unanswered. That drops a lot of them away. If they're still issues, then why not discuss them? If they aren't still issues, then they're marked and out of the filtered list.

Also, this is only temporary. If we keep a forum clean, this won't be an issue, will it?

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:49 PM
    Owner
  • That may help, but how when I see new replies (besides yours) in these old threads? And also, the new threads (from 2012) which have been answered?

My blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:00 PM