MIS RRS feed

• Question

• I m going to a presentation on MIS ,please help me to give details about it.
    Friday, October 5, 2007 6:48 AM

All replies

• Management Information Systems (MIS) is a general name for the academic discipline covering the application of people, technologies, and procedures — collectively called Information systems— to solve business problems. MIS are distinct from regular information systems in that they are used to analyze other information systems applied in operational activities in the organization. Academically, the term is commonly used to refer to the group of information management methods tied to the automation or support of human decision making, e.g. Decision Support systems, Expert systems, and Executive information systems

There are often confusion between terms MIS and Information system. Information systems include systems that are not intended for decision making. MIS is sometimes referred to, in a restrictive sense, as Information technnology managenent. That area of study should not be confused with computer science. IT service management is a practitioner-focused discipline. MIS has also some differences with Enterprise resource planning (ERP) as ERP incorporates elements that are not necessarily focused on decision support.

Alan Lee defines MIS as "...research in the information systems field examines more than just the technological system, or just the social system, or even the two side by side; in addition, it investigates the phenomena that emerge when the two interact."

Friday, October 5, 2007 7:59 AM
  • Conflation of SSIS, MIS and IS.... an error?

I don't think MIS is a subset of Information Systems. For example the Wiki article on Orlikowski describes her as a Professor of Information Systems but I believe this is a shorthand for "The Social Study of Information Systems" (SSIS) which is a Social Studies field and not a business/technology/"science" field. I have added a new article for Social Study of Information Systems. Hope this is OK and a useful clarification. Could we change the article on Orlikowski to point at SSIS rather than MIS?? I have also added/updated some new articles on Claudio Ciborra and on Formative Context which are relevant to SSIS. ISmad 17:00, 1 March 2006 (UTC)

There are two other Wiki pages which could (arguaby) be addressing the same thing: Science studies and Social informatics ISmad 17:21, 1 March 2006 (UTC)

I think this is going to be an ongoing problem. SSIS and MIS are evolving in part out of Information Systems and thus are arguably a subset (in the same way that Information Systems was itself a subset of Computer Science for many years). Can anyone more familiar with the history of IS and MIS do some cross referencing and try for a definitive statement on the origins of SSIS, MIS and IS (which may then make it easier to decide how they should be organised). GKS 00:14, 10 May 2006 (UTC)

[edit] Information Systems versus MIS

On the matter of the Information Systems redirect to this topic, it should be mentioned by someone that MIS is a generally accepted subset of Information Systems and not the other way around. There are several top-level categories of information systems (transactiion processing systems, expert systems, decision support systems, etc) and countless thousands of information systems that are not MIS. Admittedly, I have not read the entire article, so it could be that this article is inappropriately named or that the IS topic needs to be reestablished as its own standalone topic. It is my opinion that one or the other should be a future course of action, and am airing my thoughts here for feedback. Thanks. -- Dx 00:59, 26 December 2005 (UTC)

PS - I found a couple of stubs that I think will do, and I'll start with them and work my way back here. Thanks. -- Dx 01:03, 26 December 2005 (UTC)

[edit] Prestigious schools?

I don't see the point in the list of prestigious schools. Is there a sort of evaluation system when it comes to who's listed or is it just to add whatever? Maybe we should just change the topic of section to "Schools offering MIS" or something?

I agree with you. It's all opinion based. I would like more opinion before making a change and offending individuals though. How do the rest of you out there feel? - Grassferry49
    To list all the schools that offer a programme in MIS would create a very long list, most major universities offer such a programme now. To list only "prestigious" schools would be highly subjective. Maybe we can link to a web site that acts as a directory of MIS programmes instead. mydogategodshat 2 July 2005 01:37 (UTC)
    • "Well-known" works just fine, almost all the ones listed are very well established programs and respected by their peers, employers, and professors. There is a ranking for these programs such as US News 2006 Best Graduate Schools has rankings of MBA programs with concentrations in MIS.
    • Does anyone object to me re-organising the list of schools/depts/faculties by country? If this list gets much longer, it really should be organised into groups of some sort. Rather than get into a debate about which schools are more prestigious than others (since this will have some geographic variation), I suggest we group by country and then either list alphabetically or have within country listings by prestige. GKS 00:06, 10 May 2006 (UTC)

[edit] Title

This title should probably be Management information systemS. I think every major text book in this area has an "S" on the end. It's not a big issue.

== Punctuati

I agree. If nobody objects, I'd like to rename (fix redirect) the page. --Hypertext 07:58, 30 November 2006 (UTC)

[edit] MIS and Information Technology

I disagree with the Walmart example. An extranet is an example of information technology used with an information system. An explanation of what Walmart is doing with its suppliers on the extranet would be a better definition of a management information system.

Saturday, October 6, 2007 1:13 AM
  • You can get more answers in WIKIPEDIA.......................

Saturday, October 6, 2007 1:14 AM
  •  

MIS provide important tools supporting delivery and adding credibility to your organisation. The information is needed to support student tracking, from making enquires, to enrolling in provision, doing assessments to moving on to other opportunities. It lets you get through the inspection and other quality related procedures, track your finances and be audited and, all in all, live in the dynamic environment that we all now work with. In brief, gathering and using information is central to managing the processes of recruitment, teaching and learning, assessment, funding and quality management. To do this, effective, flexible and responsive Management Information Systems are needed.

MIS systems let you:

• Capture information and store it.

• Access stored information easily and manipulate it for your needs, your clients’ needs and your funders’ needs.

• Control flow of information into, around and out of your systems.

•  Work within legislation such as the Data protection Act.

• Manage resources.

• Produce reports for yourselves and outside organisations, such as funders.

• Maintain records needed for quality control.

• Respond confidently to the demands of the Common Inspection Framework.

• Manage and track student records of work, achievement and progression.

• Manage returns to funders and accreditation bodies.

• Record and track outcomes.

• Manage marketing information.

• And a host of other information related functions.

Saturday, October 6, 2007 3:24 PM
  • i think posting this thread on the techinical section would gather more information...u will get more no of replies there...
    Sunday, October 7, 2007 3:48 AM