Windows 7 RC x64 Not Waking for Backup Post Repair Install RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've seen a couple of other thread on a similar theme, but the answers (namely the wake on event timers option) do not seem to apply.

I previously had my Win7RC x64 machine working perfectly with WHS PP3 beta, and PP2 before that. Then I performed a repair install, partially to try out the procedure and partially to fix a broken system restore. Since the repair install, the machine no longer wakes for its nightly backup. I've checked that the wake for event timers option is enabled in the power settings. I've also reinstalled the connector software, and run the connector diagnostic (which does give the version mismatch message, but I believe that's not unusual). Manual backups proceed normally, and backups can be opened from the machine. I just can't get the computer to wake.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 2:56 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    such stuff is hard to track - and fully depends from the capabilities of the client OS. Did you change any settings in Bios before reinstallation?
    Are there any related errors in the event log? Would the system wake up for other scheduled tasks, i.e. checking for Windows Updates or recording TV with Media Center?

(Really a repair install? I thought, the last time a repair install was working, was with XP, while Vista and Win7 only support something called Inplace upgrade).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:06 AM
  • Sorry, repair install is my own terminology for an in place self "upgrade", as I did it to repair the installation.

No, no BIOS changes, and I'm not sure about waking for other events. The "in place upgrade" seems to me the most likely suspect as I can't remember any other changes at the time. Everything else seems ok. The computer manually wakes perfectly. It's something to keep in mind in case anyone else reports a similar problem. As I can't reproduce it, or more correctly am not willing to try (as that would require a clean install followed by another "upgrade"), I can't confirm it as an issue with the upgrade procedure. I guess I'll be doing manual backups until Win 7 retail comes along.
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:55 AM