WHS should be "Windows Small Biz Server" RRS feed

• General discussion

• Does anyone else here think that this WHS will be wildly popular for small businesses with no IT department?

Apparently from the name of the product, WHS will be marketed to home users, but I really think they should re-examine the marketplace.

I personally know of quite a few small businesses (less than 10 PC's) that use only XP peer-to-peer networking.  WHS would be a huge upgrade to that.

And personally, I have a Dell PowerEdge 2950 running W2K3 at my wife's small business, but I'm an IT guy.   A lot of small biz just simply don't do that because of knowledge and cost.  (you know "real" servers aren't cheap)

Sunday, March 11, 2007 5:17 AM

All replies

• Chances are a few of the features of WHS ending up in a future version of Windows SBS and they (they WHS/SBS team) cannot talk about it just yet.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 5:41 AM
  • Totally agree, I personally look after around 8 small companies with less than 10 PC's and they have no IT Deparment, just call me when ever something goes wrong.

WHS would make an ideal server, they only need a file/ back up server, a full server package is to much for them. 3 of them are actually using win98 as a file server.

I fully suspect that some companies will run WHS like the question  asked at the start of this thread.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 8:09 AM