Upgrade to OEM and upgrade hardware at the same time - possible? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm finally about to update my WHS from build 3790 to final OEM build, but I've also been donated a newer PC.
    Anyone know if it's possible to switch the HDDs out of the older one into the newer and upgrade at the same time?
    Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:06 PM

Answers

• Tim, I will start by agreeing with the poster who said that a fresh installation is best. However, with WHS, a "server reinstallation" (which is what you want to do) is the same thing as a fresh installation, as it will wipe your C: partition.

To answer your specific question, yes you can swap your drives into the new hardware and do a reinstallation. A couple of things to be careful of:
    • Make sure you get your disks installed in the new computer so that your old system disk will be the first one that setup sees.
    • If you're using SATA drives, you'll likely need to supply drivers (unless you configure your BIOS to operate in legacy IDE mode). Have a floppy ready; you'll need it twice: once during the initial hardware detection at the very beginning before you're even asked if you want to do a fresh install or a server reinstallation, and a second time at the beginning of text-mode setup (the "Press F6" prompt).
    • If you want to preserve the data currently on your server, make sure that you select "server reinstallation" when asked what type of installation to perform. If you're not given the option of selecting that, don't proceed until you've copied all data off your server.
    Friday, November 2, 2007 2:57 AM

All replies

• Tim,

Why not try switching the hard dives first,to see if it might work. It's likely that the HAL will be borked if there too many differences between the two systems, but trying it first shouldn't be too much of a problem. If necessary, it could involve doing a re-install after you've moved the disks, so doing it with the beta setup, means you have nothing to loose. If it works, then do a further re-install to update to the OEM version.

Colin

Thursday, November 1, 2007 3:23 PM
  • Colin, thanks for the reply.
    There are a lot of differences betwen the 2 machines (old one AMD, new one Intel amongst others), so I know it'll need a reinstall. What I'm trying to gain is not having to reinstall the existing disks with the old version, then upgrade to OEM straght afterwards.
    Thursday, November 1, 2007 4:20 PM
  • I would not try this... sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. 

Never know what issues you will face down the road even if you get it to work at first. 

Clean installs rule, and backups of backups are a must....

Thursday, November 1, 2007 4:50 PM
  • Tim, I will start by agreeing with the poster who said that a fresh installation is best. However, with WHS, a "server reinstallation" (which is what you want to do) is the same thing as a fresh installation, as it will wipe your C: partition.

To answer your specific question, yes you can swap your drives into the new hardware and do a reinstallation. A couple of things to be careful of:
    • Make sure you get your disks installed in the new computer so that your old system disk will be the first one that setup sees.
    • If you're using SATA drives, you'll likely need to supply drivers (unless you configure your BIOS to operate in legacy IDE mode). Have a floppy ready; you'll need it twice: once during the initial hardware detection at the very beginning before you're even asked if you want to do a fresh install or a server reinstallation, and a second time at the beginning of text-mode setup (the "Press F6" prompt).
    • If you want to preserve the data currently on your server, make sure that you select "server reinstallation" when asked what type of installation to perform. If you're not given the option of selecting that, don't proceed until you've copied all data off your server.
    Friday, November 2, 2007 2:57 AM
  • Thanks Ken.
    That's what I figured, that the C partition was what needed refreshing to the new hardware, and if I can retain my data on the shares, and hopefully PC backups, then that would save a lot of messing about later on.
    Sure I can copy the data to a USB drive before I start (and I will do this anyway just in case) but I would like to be able to keep the PC backups ideally.

Disks are all IDE so that should be easy - thanks for the tip about getting them in the correct order though! Smile

I'll report back with the results on this thread when my OEM disk arrives.

Cheers,
       Tim.
    Friday, November 2, 2007 8:27 AM
  • Getting them in the correct order is essential; WHS will install on the first drive it sees that's large enough, and if that drive isn't your current system drive, you may not be given a server reinstallation option.
    Friday, November 2, 2007 11:59 AM
  • Just to tidy this thread up - my WHS OEM discs arrived today, and I have successfully changed hardware and updated to OEM at the same time following Ken's advice.
    All original data and backups are intact, all I had to do was recreate the user accounts and carry on as normal. Smile
    Tuesday, November 6, 2007 2:39 PM