whs as HTPC, screen wont wake up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a dell inspiron 530, 4 gb ram, q6600 cpu and ati hd3650 graphics card. I have been trying to use this as a combination server and home theater pc. I have installed XBMC which works fine but when the server has been idle for a while i cant wake the screen up, I can rdp in to the server fine and the whs console is fine. The pc is connected via hdmi to my onkyo AV receiver then to my TV. If I restart the server the screen comes on fine until it is idle again. I have disabled screen savers and specified monitor not to turn of in power options. Any ideas thanks
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:24 PM

All replies

• It seems likely that it's going to be a driver issue, but beyond that there may not be much we can do for you. Have you tried turning off all power saving options, including hibernation/standby? And have you made sure that you turned off screen savers, etc. while you were logged in to the server directly (rather than through Remote Desktop)?

Since Windows Home Server isn't designed to be used as a home theater PC, and doing so is unsupported, have you considered separating the functions?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:39 PM
  • Hi yes all power saving options and screen savers are off and were turned off while logged into the server directly. The reasons i want to combine the functions are the backup features and drive extender fuctions of whs are superb and perfect for my needs but due to budget restraints i cannot afford a separate system for media. When the screen is awake the server performs exactly as i want it to with no probs, its only when left idle the screen will not wake up and has to be restarted. I had thought is could be a driver issue as i had some problems installing the graphics card driver. Are there any specific or recommended graphics drivers availble? My card is an ATI hd3650, there are none listed on ATIs website. Thanks for your help
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 12:55 PM
  • You can try the driver for Windows XP. Install the "Driver only" package. Don't be too surprised if it doesn't help, though.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Ill try to remove all the drivers that are there and reinstall the xp one. Thanks for your help
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 3:13 PM
  • Hi, I have a dell inspiron 530, 4 gb ram, q6600 cpu and ati hd3650 graphics card. I have been trying to use this as a combination server and home theater pc. I have installed XBMC which works fine but when the server has been idle for a while i cant wake the screen up, I can rdp in to the server fine and the whs console is fine. The pc is connected via hdmi to my onkyo AV receiver then to my TV. If I restart the server the screen comes on fine until it is idle again. I have disabled screen savers and specified monitor not to turn of in power options. Any ideas thanks
    The solution that I use or the HTPC/WHS dilemma is to run the WHS in a virtual machine inside the HTPC. Of course running WHS in a virtual machine us not supported (though it should be IMHO), but after committing one big sin at the beginning, then you can play by the rules. The only thing I have done to my WHS that I could not do through the WHS console is to give it a static IP address on my network.

I would have liked to use MS Virtual Server for this, but VS is not supported under Windows 7, so I have used VMWare Server 2.0. It seems to work well.

As to the screen not waking up, I'm not sure if this is a WHS issue. I had this same problem with my Samsung HDTV on Windows 7 with ATI graphics. Due to this and some other problems with the HDMI input, I decided to go with VGA.

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 9:43 AM
  • i will try this, thanks very much

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:31 AM