none
MS Money 2003 Stopped working 25/08/17 RRS feed

• Question

• Without getting into the travesty of MS stopping this great piece of software, I did like many apply the manual fix to get it working on Windows 10 without any trouble at all. It was working fine yesterday 24th August and I logged off and then closed down my PC as per normal, but when firing up my PC this morning I get an error message saying that money has not loaded and that it may not be compatible etc. with windows??

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this latest issue, but I have tried everything that I know (which is not a lot) and I am not seeing any upgrades that may have caused it yesterday.

If anyone else has experienced this and can help with any fix please let me know as I have made no changes to my PC to have caused this.

Thank you.

• Edited by Billster67 Friday, August 25, 2017 7:45 AM
    Friday, August 25, 2017 7:45 AM

All replies

• Sounds like a corrupt file somewhere. I assume you launched the programme directly rather than clicking a data file. Back up your MSMoney data files on external drives of some sort and do your usual PC hygiene routine.

Your last resort would be to remove MSMoney and re-load from the appropriate first post but you would have to check compatibility with your data files. Good luck!

Dr AS

Friday, August 25, 2017 8:29 AM
  • Many thanks for the quick reply.

Thankfully I back up all money files daily onto a separate drive, but even after all of the usual "hygiene" routine nothing wants to play anymore. Even the start up disk to reload it will not load fully and it comes up with a number of error messages, which is very odd indeed. No other software or files seem to be affected, just MS Money.

I think this time I may need more than just luck, but it seems I will be digging out the old Tosh from storage with Vista on it to use in the meantime. What joy... Not!

Thanks for the advice though and I will keep an eye out to just in case it happens to anyone else.

Cheers

Friday, August 25, 2017 9:15 AM
  • If the "manual fix" is the registry change, note that it was only needed before the first cumulative update to Windows 10 in August 2015.
    It is no longer needed.

Did the not loading/incompatibility message come from Windows or your antivirus/internet security suite?
    A definition update might result in an incorrect identification of Money as incompatible or unwanted.

Uninstalling and reinstalling Money 2003 (or any other program) is a standard first troubleshooting step.

See the second post in this forum for a free update to the latest appropriate regional version of Money.

Friday, August 25, 2017 10:14 AM
  • Thank you for your assistance.

A complete wipe off and reinstall will be the last task over the weekend so fingers crossed, but at least I have access for the moment via an old laptop.

Friday, August 25, 2017 10:37 AM
  • After completing the very obvious over the weekend and reloading the software it worked well for 48hrs!!

But when I came to fire up the PC again yesterday morning the same error happened all over again which has been the case this morning as well. It seems that when I fire up the PC each morning it does not recognise MS Money anymore and the only way to be able to run it is to re-install every day where it works fine without any problems until I close the PC down. I'm not sure if this is just a wake up call for sorting out a long term replacement or not, but I just can't see anything being up to scratch after using money for so many years now. 

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 6:59 AM
  • If your system is old the problem might be hardware related.

Test your memory with e.g. memtest and your hard disk with its manufacturer's diagnostic utility.

If you upgraded to Windows 10 from an earlier version of Windows a clean install of Windows 10 might resolve the issue.
    Use the Media Creation Tool .

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:19 AM
  • Many thanks for the information and I will certainly give it a go.

I was previously on the disaster that was 8.1 and received the free upgrade to 10, but we have not had any major updates that may have triggered this which is a bit of a puzzle. I'll see if it is any better after looking at the above.

Thank you for your help.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 8:11 AM
  • I have received the same error message. It had been working fine until last week (30/08/17). There must be a windows update that has caused this.
    • Edited by Bizucks Saturday, September 2, 2017 9:36 AM
    Saturday, September 2, 2017 9:36 AM
  • To help us help you:

- are you also running Money 2003?  UK, US, or other?

- what version of Windows are you running?

- what are you doing when you receive the error message?

- what is the exact error message?

Bill Becker

Sunday, September 3, 2017 9:52 PM
  • I have the same issue but mine is Money 2002. Everything has been fine for 2 years since I upgraded to Windows 10. Now I get dll errors on loading windows and the error code 0xc0000020.

I can uninstall MS money and then reinstall the program and it works fine for 1 or maybe 2 days then for no reason the error pops up on loading windows or MS money. I am sure its a window upgrade as I have money 2002 installed on my laptop too. I got the error without even loading MS money just the OS. 

The version of Windows 10 on my PC is 1607 OS build 14393.1593 and my laptop 1607 OS build 14393.1358 both 64 bit.

The message I get is

Ms Money.exe - Bad Image

C:\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Money\System\mnyui.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error Status 0xc0000020.

Thank you

• Edited by nbradley1083 Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:53 PM
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 7:52 PM
  • Well......it seems that the C:\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Money\System\mnyui.dll file is being corrupted after your system has been running for some time.  One possibility is a hardware problem such as a failing memory module or disk drive.  It seems unlikely since both your desktop and laptop are affected.  In any event, be sure to keep good backups on external media until this is resolved.

Another possibility is that Windows 10 is now, for some obscure reason, not playing well with Money 2002.  I don't have a copy of Money 2002 to test, so I can't try to duplicate the problem.  Maybe another user can help.

I can report that Money Plus Sunset US runs fine on 1607 OS build 14393.1593.  However, that might be expected because Money Plus Sunset doesn't use the mnyui.dll and has a different structure entirely in the C:\Program files (x86)\Microsoft Money folder (which is named Microsoft Money Plus for the Sunset version).

If you are using the US version of Money 2002 you may be able to update to Money Plus Sunset.  If you are in the UK you could try updating to Money 2005.  The downloads are in the second "Sticky"  thread in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

If you have difficulty updating, post back.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 8:39 PM
  • Bill

Thank you very much for the link to MS Money 2005 I have downloaded and converted my Money 2002 file to make it compatitable with 2005.

If I had known I  would of upgraded to this years ago but better late than never. Early signs are that it is working well.

Really appreciate your help.

Nigel

• Edited by nbradley1083 Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:37 PM
    Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:36 PM
  • You are welcome!  Please run with 2005 for a few days and let us know how it goes.  If all is well you can propose the above as a solution.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:41 PM
  • Note that Money 2005 only gives you a single upon-exit and one scheduled backup. This could result in a corrupted file being backed up over your only good backup file.

I suggest that you review your backup procedures to take that into a account, especially as you are as motivated as you will be due to your recent scare.

Here is what I suggest with Money 2005:

In Tools->Settings->BackupOptions
    I suggest checking
     x Automatically backup to hard disk on exit
      x Prompt me before backing up each time*
      x Make my file small ...

Then periodically, perhaps once per month or more, copy your
    latest backup (named differently from your earlier backups) to a
    CDR or other media or to the cloud.

I strongly suggest use of a USB Flash drive also, in addition to
    backing up to your hard drive.  They typically act like a big
    floppy. Earlier versons of Money cannot back up to a removable
    drive, such as a USB flash drive, unless there is 2 GB or less of
    free space (bug).

* This has two advantages.  You can change the file name
    occasionally.  I like to pick a name something like money160211.
    Then it is easy to change the name to have multiple backups.  The
    .mbf extension is automatic.  The other advantage is that you can
    choose "Don't Back Up, or you change your mind about exiting by
    simply clicking the X in the upper right of the pop-up box.  If I
    went into Money 5 times in a day, I would not want to back up 5
    times.  You will be given the choice to BackUpNow or to Postpone.

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 10:49 PM
  • Hi - I am running Money 2005 and have been having the same problem for the last few weeks - I'm in the Uk so Sunset is not an option.  I have 2 machine running separate sets of accounts - strangely the system on my Surface is fine - no problems - the laptop version keeps failing.  Only difference I can see is that the surface was upgraded from Windows 8 and the laptop has only ever run Windows 10.  Shouldn't make a difference but.......

Would love a solution to this one.  

Monday, October 2, 2017 2:47 PM
  • Hi - I am running Money 2005 and have been having the same problem for the last few weeks

The problem on this thread was that one file could not be opened, and its only backup file could not be opened. Is that the problem that you have been having for weeks? Perhaps you could clarify your symptom.

Also, since you have read this thread, have you already been inspired to keep multiple backups of the working Money file, including backups onto other media?

Monday, October 2, 2017 6:55 PM
  • I´m having the same issue on MS Money Plus Deluxe Version 17.0.120.3817
    Monday, October 2, 2017 7:58 PM
  • SharonETG and n0gs:

You report that your "are having the same problem", but this thread contains descriptions of several different problems.  To help us help you, please post back with exactly what error you are receiving and what you are doing when you receive it.  Better yet, start a new thread with a descriptive title.

Bill Becker

Monday, October 2, 2017 10:15 PM
  • SharonETG and n0gs:

You report that your "are having the same problem", but this thread contains descriptions of several different problems.  To help us help you, please post back with exactly what error you are receiving and what you are doing when you receive it.  Better yet, start a new thread with a descriptive title.

Bill Becker

Hi Sharon,

I've attached the error, tell me if you need something more, if I click "Sim" (Yes), It tells me my email is wrong and come back to the same point.

As I said, when I open the file for the first time, It works properly, but if I close, then open again, this error is shown.

Tks

• Edited by n0gs Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 5:38 PM
  • Is your .mny file named "hightimes - Copia(3) - Copia - Copia - Copia - Copia.mny"? If not, what is the full name of your .mny file?

Note that it is important that your .mny file be located in your documents folder, - not in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus.

The message about wrong email is very odd.  Maybe another user has some ideas.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 3:36 AM
  • Copia is Portuguese for Copy.
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 4:14 AM
  • Tks, but the error occurs independently of file name and location.
    • Edited by n0gs Wednesday, October 4, 2017 3:05 PM
    Wednesday, October 4, 2017 3:04 PM
  • I asked because the file name in that error message  "hightimes - Copia(3) - Copia - Copia - Copia - Copia.mny" is very strange.  If you can give us the name of the file you started with and the corresponding file name in the error message it might help.

Bill Becker

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 10:42 PM
  • Thanks Cal -

This is the message I have been getting:

An error occurred loading "C:|Program Files (x86)\Microsift Money 205\MNYCoreFiles\mnymetal.dll. The File may ot have been installed or it has been corrupted. 

Like others in this thread this problem occurred around the same date with the same issues -  I can reinstall money 2005 and it will open 2/3 times correctly and then the same message appears and I have to start again.  The data file is always accessible after the reinstall without any corruption. I do however always keep  a backup and a copy of the file on a memory stick just in case. Hope there's a solution.

(This happens on a machine which has only ever run on Windows 10.  I have another machine running a different set of data files which was originally a windows 8 machine with MSMoney install and now runs Windows 10 - no problems on this machine.)

A useful thread and the answers given are much appreciated.

Friday, October 6, 2017 10:03 AM
  • I think you've replied to the wrong post?

Friday, October 6, 2017 10:03 AM
  • Please see my answer to Cal above - thanks for trying to help - much appreciated.

Friday, October 6, 2017 10:04 AM
  • To SharonETG:

Thanks for replying with a detailed error message.  It seems that after running awhile your Windows 10 computer develops a corrupt dll.  To confirm that this is really the case,  I suggest that you wait until Money starts to act up and gives the dll error message. Then run the tools in this Microsoft Support page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

If these tools detect a corrupt dll and fix it then try running Money again to verify that it's really been fixed, albeit temporarily.

Let us know how you make out.  If the tool doesn't find a corrupt dll then there is a different issue.

Bill Becker

Friday, October 6, 2017 8:57 PM
  • I have been using MS Money 2002 and have faced similar problems when Windows OS has been upgraded from 7 to 8 and then to 10.<o:p></o:p>

Somewhere on a website I saw a solution that had intricate instructions on changing some registry entries. I tried it and it worked.<o:p></o:p>

But the problem reappeared... so it seems that the problem is a function of the hardware, OS and the specific MS Money version.<o:p></o:p>

In the latest instance of the problem I installed MS Money 2002 Standard Edition Version 10 on a laptop with Win 8.1 Pro 2013. It worked for a day. The next day it came with an error message. So I re-installed Money. It worked again, but did not work the next day. <o:p></o:p>

One simple solution that has worked for me to to turn off Money Express. Once I did that, Money has been working quite fine. I don't know if this will last. Keeping my fingers crossed.<o:p></o:p>

I had read about this solution somewhere on the net, but cannot locate the webpage now.<o:p></o:p>

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:20 PM