none
Curiosity about primarily using C# (probably sans ASP.NET) and where / how does the C# language + libs couple / decouple? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm interested in potentially working as far outside of the Microsoft ecosystem as possible while still using C#.  For example, I'd like to develop a framework that can pick and choose which libraries I'd want to use while being able to run in a fairly independent fashion (ie, run on Linux, macOS, anywhere) and in a very opinionated manner.

What's the bear minimum that's needed to run C# as a base language?  

Let's say, for example, that I wanted to develop something via C# like Ruby on Rails or Sinatra (this is not the actual use-case but is a good illustration) that pulls in any support "gems" (dependency libraries) in and then runs atop a web server (such as WEBrick or Puma in Ruby parlance) to serve the app.  I don't want to have to deploy this with any set boundaries, per se, and I'd like to make something that could be added to a cPanel host or deployed via Heroku or Nanobox, etc. for example.

In other words, I'm trying to figure out where and how things couple and decouple with C#, ASP.NET, etc.

I've heard of OWIN as something to explore, but I'm not convinced that that's the right way to go. I've heard of Kestrel, but also, not sure if that's a way to go as far as a base web server, but could be (like WEBrick).  Just not sure if it would run with Mono (I think you at least have to have Mono to get a workable CLR + stdlib, right?). I'd like to at least get a good 10,000 ft perspective of the lay of the land here since I'm new to C#.
    • Moved by Fei Hu Wednesday, March 14, 2018 8:40 AM Moved from C#
    Wednesday, March 14, 2018 1:43 AM

All replies