Backup MS Access databases on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• There seems to be problems with WHS handling databases (as I figured out myself). Now I understand that an MS access database in your shared folder and then editing it is not a good idea. But what about an MS access dabase on a client PC being backed up by WHS. Is this a problem too? and if so, is there a work around?(zipping?).
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:06 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the quick answer. It is difficult to reproduce the problems, but working with Access and Excel (import/export) at the same time in a shared folder is something WHS doesn't like. I will stick to your advice of using a disk outside the WHS storage pool, and backup that disk to WHS
    • Marked as answer by Coeneman Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:20 AM

All replies

• AFAIK there should be no real issue with MS access database files stored and edited on WHS shares since the release of PowerPack 1, even though it's officially not a supported scenario. If you have personal experience or (recent) links to examples of problems with MS Access databases on WHS please let me know.

If for some reason you don't trust the WHS shared folders for storage of the MS Access database file you can create a separate share on a disk which is outside the WHS storage pool (from the server desktop). 

MS Access files on a client PC which is backed up should be fine. WHS backup doesn't even know it's an MS Access file, all it does is back up (changed) clusters, not files. More details on WHS backup in Home Computer Backup and Restore.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:22 AM
  • Thanks for the quick answer. It is difficult to reproduce the problems, but working with Access and Excel (import/export) at the same time in a shared folder is something WHS doesn't like. I will stick to your advice of using a disk outside the WHS storage pool, and backup that disk to WHS
    • Marked as answer by Coeneman Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:58 PM
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:20 AM