WHS Cannot see any PC's in network neighborhood. All other PC's can see WHS though. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.
     First..  I'm a fairly savvy user, and really use a LOT of my WHS features.
    I love my WHS...

Goal:
    I have 3 Pc's.
    1 server   ( WHS )
    1 desktop (Vista Ultimate and home media center for xBox)
    1 laptop  (XP)
    Dlink DIR 655

My only issue right now:   FROM WHS, I cannot see my PC's in my network places.
    From my Laptop and Desktop, I can see everything on WHS no problem.  So it's a 1 way issue....   WHS can't see the network.
    YES PING, but NO browse from windows explorer

My MUSIC is stored on my desktop.  I'd like it to stay there ( i tunes user )
    So, i'm trying to point WHS(webguide specifically) to my Desktop. 

When I browse internet explorer, I can only see my local shared folders from whs.
    In my desktop, I can see everything. It's not a problem.

Everything else in my system works like a friggin charm.

I have savvy, and am curious if this is an obvious fix.

Tried:
    DLink DIR 655 routing settings..( netbios )
    From WHS,  switched to "ENABLE NETBIOS" instead of "Default"

Any ideas why WHS can't see the network neighborhood ?
    ac
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 5:25 AM

Answers

• I assume, you are logged on as Administrator to your WHS?
    In the most configurations Administrator accounts on XP and Vista clients have a blank password associated and often are inactive in all but safe mode. And so of course the account Administrator is rejected from the machine if trying to access through network.
    If you have another user account with password, who is able to access shared folders from other client PCs via network, you can try to use the Stored Usernames and Passwords applet in Control Panel.
    Add an entry for the machine you wish to access here:
    Server: Name of the machine
    Account: PCName\Username
    Password: local password of that user account for the machine

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 11:47 AM

All replies

• BTW..
    I can "SEE" the other Pc's Desktop and Laptop.

But when I try to drill down, there is nothing else.
    Trying to force the issue results in permission errors..
    but it doesn't make sense since my laptop can see the desktop..

My laptop can see my desktop and vice versa...

Basically,  I want to point my WHS to see the music files stored on my desktop.
    ac
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 6:22 AM
  • Hi,
    did you reboot after enabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP on WHS and grant the system some time to build up the browser list?
    Network neighbourhood without a WINS server was never very reliable anyway.
    To access ressources on your PCs in the network from WHS (which is unsupported since you should not use the WHS system as desktop) you could also open Start/Run dialog and type \\PCName\sharename.
    This often works (given the necessary permissions are there and the client PCs are properly configured regarding network sharing) even if the network neighbourhood des not show anything.
    Sure it makes sense, that the Administrator on WHS cannot access ressources on the network PCs, unless you use guest access, have set the same password for Administrator on the client as on WHS (and make the account active on the Vista clients) or use stored user names and passwords on WHS to access the remote PCs.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 7:45 AM
  • danke olaf..

I definitely rebooted after the netBios changes..( and rebooted the router, but not the modem )

I also tried the START/RUN :   \\MyBox\MyShare  and reeived "user has not been granted the requested logon type"
    I do not however, have the LMHosts lookup enabled... didn't think I needed it.  Never had it before.
    The only entry I have in that file is :   127.0.01 ( memory not sure of exact thing but you know what this is )..

So...
    After receiving the new error : "user has not been granted the requested logon type"
    I googled that and found some new ideas... they seem related to allowing a guest access..

I never had that enabled, because I don't want guests having access. but i'll try that.
    There are lots of results from the Google Query.  If they work, i'll post back.

Auf Widersehen.

ac
    • Edited by AaronCozzens Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:09 AM more info
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 8:07 AM
  • I assume, you are logged on as Administrator to your WHS?
    In the most configurations Administrator accounts on XP and Vista clients have a blank password associated and often are inactive in all but safe mode. And so of course the account Administrator is rejected from the machine if trying to access through network.
    If you have another user account with password, who is able to access shared folders from other client PCs via network, you can try to use the Stored Usernames and Passwords applet in Control Panel.
    Add an entry for the machine you wish to access here:
    Server: Name of the machine
    Account: PCName\Username
    Password: local password of that user account for the machine

Olaf
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 11:47 AM